We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia February

Hornsea, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Western Australia February

I have reserved a 4X4 camper for three weeks starting early Feb 2013, pick up and return to Perth. Is there a good circuit? Should I head north or south first given the weather and the holiday season? Any worthwhile places that the 4x4 will allow me to go? Did Alice to Adelaide in two weeks last January so fine with distances and short stops.

Thanks

Glenn

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,021 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Australia February

Not sure why you'd want to go on holiday in a camper in the hottest month of the year but to each their own. School goes back Feb 4 so if your dates are after that you should be able to book places down south on the coast where you might get a little respite from the heat.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Australia February

I would be inclined to spend time in the South West due to the weather (ie heat) Margaret River, Pemberton, Walpole, Denmark, Albany then across to Esperance and back to Perth. There will be plenty of opportunity for some 4x4 in that territory and others on this forum will give you good advice - plus some targeted web searches should give you information about 4 wheel drive areas. Would definitely be the area that I would head in February and the great beaches/forest/bush etc of the South should be the area for a wonderful holiday.

Hornsea, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Australia February

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies.

Maybe my body thermostat works ok so heat is no problem, maybe I like the contrast to UK freezing weather, or maybe that is just when I have time free to go! Thanks JeanPerth, I should look south.

Does it get wet further north at that time of year? I think it is very wet Darwin but wondered where it starts.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Australia February

It's cyclone season in the north at that time so yes you would need to be aware of potential road closures and flooding etc. no real reason not to go at that time if you can handle the heat - just ensure you have the car radio set to ABC for any alerts, and if you have a smartphone - download some news alert and severe weather alert type aps.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Australia February

Definitely go south Glenn; its very iffy up north due to the Cyclone Season in Feb. ..( please understand this DOES happen).

Feb is very hot in WA ; however if you travel south it will be heaps better & you don't have to battle with the Marine Stingers.

www.marinestingers.com.au

If you have the time...I adore Esperance... my Go-List below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Getting_…

However; if you really want to head up north - make sure you visit Coral Bay.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g580525-s2/Coral-Bay:…

Happy planning !

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Australia February

If you do go north, the Ningaloo Reef area is amazing. We stayed in Exmouth--there are campergrounds there I believe (we stayed in a hotel). From there you can take tours of the mountain area (or maybe drive yourself--ask in the EXMOUTH FORUM because it's a safety issue). The Coral Bay area is lovely and there is shore snorkeling on that coast. If you have the time, a boat snorkel would be good, too, either from Coral bay or Exmouth. Muiron Islands are interesting.

We went in March and it was still very hot (hottest I have ever been and I grew up in and live in hot area in the USA) but we saw the whale sharks and that was well worth the heat. Just be sure you have lots of water at all times.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 01:13
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Australia February

North is the last place I'd head in February, but if blazing hot weather is what you're after, you'll definitely find it up there. We were up there in June (winter) and that was plenty warm for me.

As mentioned above, it's cyclone season, and as someone who was caught up north on the wrong side of a flooded road, I can only suggest you remain very flexible, take plenty of water and be prepared to potentially Wait Around for long stretches of time. The NW of WA is very remote, and there are only so many roads; if one is flooded, there may not be another one, and you could well be stuck. No whale sharks in February as your probably know.

I too suggest you head south, but if you're determined to see some of the north, you might consider driving only as far as Kalbarri, or perhaps driving from Perth to Kalgoorlie for a taste of the outback (mining town), then heading down to Esperance (absolutely beautiful, beaches galore) , Albany, Denmark, Walpole, Pemberton (trees, wine, marron, etc), MR and back up to Perth.

WA is a massive state and those three weeks won't stretch as far as you might think.

Hornsea, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Western Australia February

I don't know the protocols for thanking people as this is the first time I have used the forum but this is really useful. Overwhelmed with the kindness of you all for providing advice. Thanks very much. Clear messages received! I can see the trip forming already. Thanks also for pointing out there is so much to see and so little time. A motto for life I suppose.

Thanks again,

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,021 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western Australia February

Nice to have any kind of thank you :-)

Hope you have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Western Australia February

We definitely like thank you's as they are few and far between.