We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Perth, WA

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Perth, WA

I am due to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2014 and my husband and I are planning a trip to visit Perth and surrounding area that year. Our plan is to depart UK mid September for a 3 week trip, can I have some advice please about what to expect weather wise during that period?

And any other useful info you have would be most welcome.

We love beaches and swimming in the sea, and the wildlife particularly appeals. We love good food and especially good wine, nice accommodation and relaxing (no ten mile hikes for us before breakfast!)

So so excited about the prospect of visiting somewhere I have longed to see for so long, any help would be much appreciated x

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,998 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Hi Angela:

You have posted on the wrong forum I'm afraid. This is the Support forum which is for answering general questions about using the Trip Advisor site.

You should post your question on the Perth, Australia forum where, hopefully, someone will be able to assist you. You can access the Perth forum at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g255103-i531-Per…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Hi AngelaJJJ,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question n the TA Support forum, so I have moved it on your behalf to the Perth forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Hi Angela, First I'd suggest you have a look at the Top Questions and Perth itineraries over at the right of the screen, a lot of useful info collected together for easy reference.

September is the beginning of spring. Wildflowers will be blooming, and the weather will be changeable, one day it will be 30C and sunny, the next 17C, raining and windy. Bring layers :-) Don't count on swimming, though folk did go to the beach this past weekend, it was unusually warm and I bet the water was still freezing :-)

Do you expect to stay in the city, or are you up for touring in the country?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Hi,

I also agree September in Perth can be changeable regarding the weather. It will be more likely to be cool than hot, We were in Perth a few weeks ago (Sept) & it was rather chilly. Luckily; I had packed layers which is the way to go. I also agree with YorkFoodie the water is still cold in September unless you head up to Nth WA.

This link may assist you regarding what to do & see in Perth.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18830-Getting_…

Depending on your budget ? You could do numerous things - are you planning to hire a car ?? Stay a few days in Perth -& then head ->

a) Drive down south to the Margaret River Region.

http://www.margaretriver.com/regions/4

b) Head up north to Ningaloo Reef - warm weather & beautiful beaches. Flying & hiring a car is your best option but its not cheap.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g580525-s2/Coral-Bay:…

discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/ningal…

C) Fly up to Broome - & discover the Kimberleys too.

http://www.broomevisitorcentre.com.au/

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Great advice given in previous posts. I was going to suggest that with your time frame you will be able to see quite diverse parts of the state. Go first for a trip up north for warmth, swimming and rugged scenery, then head down to Margaret River for wine,food, wildflowers and coastal scenery.

Happy planning!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

I'd bring layers of clothing with you. September is our Springtime. Two weeks ago it was 35C (very unusual for that time of year). The sun can be quite warm and yet there is often a cool breeze - particularly in the afternoon. Bring t-shirts, a jumper, jacket, sunhat and umbrella.

Make sure that you visit Kings Park. It overlooks the city and has a wonderful display of wildflowers. Kings Park is always at the top of my list to show people how beautiful Perth is by day and by night.

Western Australia has the best (and most diverse)wildflowers in the world! There are wildflower tours operating out of Perth or you can drive through the Mid West and see them for yourself.

If you'd like a list of things to see and do in Perth, please send me an email. It has the places that I like to show visitors when they come here.

Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
858 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Hi Angela JJJ

I notice that on your profile you enjoy good food and fine wine might I respectfully suggest that you will need quite a substantial budget as eating out and drinking fine wine is very expensive for Brits in Perth, IMO due to the exchange rate. Do your research on this forum to enable you to check out prices and make your own mind up. When we go we do a lot of self catering and drinking our own wine to keep the cost down.

Have a good trip.

Bootle45

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

It's not just the exchange rate, Bootle, Perth prices are higher than just about anywhere else in the country due to the mining boom pouring a lot of cash into workers' pockets.

Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
858 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Thank you York Foodie I am reassured to read that even locals find it expensive!

Regards

Bootle45

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Perth, WA

Thank you all so much for taking time to reply, it will help no end with my planning. Regarding the weather, would a departure date of mid-October be a better bet for warm weather?