We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Would appreciate any ideas

We arrive in Fremantle late afternoon Christmas night

Will there be any pub, restaurant open for a simple meal Christmas night?

Failing that any where we can buy something to cook in our apartment

Will a liquor outlet be open to buy a bottle of wine?

My research is telling me everything closed, I can't imagine how that's possible?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Why can't you imagine how that is possible? It is Christmas Day...

There is likely to be the odd restaurant open Christmas night but not many. Those who choose to do so, open for Christmas lunch which then enables their staff to spend at least some of the day with their families.

There are also penalty rates applicable for staff wages, which in many cases makes opening not viable.

Small independant supermarkets are allowed to open. There is one in Hampton Road, South Fremantle that may be open but it is up to the store owner/manager as to what hours they choose to do so - if any.

General retail shops, which include liquor outlets are not allowed to open.

Are you arriving in Freo at 4.00pm or WA per se at 4.00pm? IME most small shops that do open, close by 6.00pm.

There is the odd 24 hour service station around, that will have milk and a few odds and ends.

Major hotels will have restaurants open but they will be popular and need to be prebooked. Their food will not be simple in most cases.Even takeaway outlets such as Maccas are closed, although KFC/Red Rooster often open over lunch time.

Basically, If you are staying in a hotel, I would be prebooking my meal. Otherwise, you wil need to drive around and take what you can find.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Yes definitely not difficult to imagine given its a public holiday across the entire nation.

Usually the papers release "Xmas trading hours" lists over the next week or two that allow us to be a bit more definitive with our advice - but for the most part it's safer to assume everything will be closed. The 24 hour petrol stations are open and will have rations such and bread, milk, munchies.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Hi. Will look around during my travels in Freo and let you know what's open.

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Thanks Jean , appreciate your help

I know in Melbourne, one would be able to find plenty of chafes and the odd deli open, forgot Perth was a bit different

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Thanks Perth

Not every culture celebrates Christmas, in multi cultural Melbourne, many cafes and delis will be open, pubs also, I guess WA is different

Thanks for replying

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

I personally dont celebrate christmas - but religion/culture has nothing to do with the Dept of Commerce and the retail trading hours laws !

Edited: 30 November 2012, 06:41
Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Not in WA , as I said in Melb , it's a different story

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

There are places open but you might have to undertake some serious googletime to search them out.

Ive found a few pubs around Perth that has xmas buffets. Heres one in Freo:

esplanadehotelfremantle.com.au/dine/christma…

Also be prepared to part with some serious money!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

<<<<<Not in WA , as I said in Melb , it's a different story>>>>>

You are not asking about Melbourne. You are asking about Perth. As you would be well aware. State commerce laws differ from state to state.

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anywhere to eat on Christmas night?

Thanks AJ

I did find the Esplanade on one of my searches, as we will already have had Christmas lunch on arrival with family we were more after a light snack type meal in the evening after we check in our apartment in Freo

Our usual first night of wandering into town for a wine and meal won't be happening on Christmas night :(

Think toast and tea might have to do at night. Oh well. , :)