We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on car hire please

Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on car hire please

We plan on hiring a car from Perth airport unless better place?

Any tips would be great about companies and policies. Many thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on car hire please

I'm not familiar with Perth, however I tend to stick with the majors Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty and always take excess reduction insurance. Have a look at www.webjet.com.au and select carhire. It will give you a comparison between various companies.

Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on car hire please

Thanks SAP. Reading through other people's posts Bayswater appeared to be awinner. Sadly they don't open on a sunday which is when we arrive.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,652 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on car hire please

Hiring cars from the airport is more expensive than hiring one from a premises away form the airport, even with the same firm. This is because there is an additional daily fee added to cover the costs of running a premises at the airport.

If you can delay getting a car until Monday (use the airport shuttle or taxi to get to your accommodation) I would highly recommend Bayswater. Their prices are better than the bigger players but their service is good and compared to what we have reports of from the others, hassle-free. (I've used them myself.) They also have pick up locations in the Perth CBD and in Fremantle as well as Bayswater.

If you have travel insurance which covers rental car excess no need to pay extra to the hire firm as well- you can only claim from one company after all.

For comparisons a good website which I have used for a good result is:

www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on car hire please

I agree with YF. On your first day you probably don't need a car and can taxi to your accommodation. Bayswater is cheaper than the "majors"and I, too have used them a few times without issue.

However, I do also hire regularly from Perth Airport - Avis - and the only issue there is that sometimes you have to wait for a vehicle even if pre-booked ( & you MUST prebook) as they are so busy. It costs around an extra $15 per day due to the Airport licence add ons but for convenience on a short stay is worth it IMO and balances out against a taxi fare to/from.

Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on car hire please

Thanks all. We checked out Bayswater online and yippee they open on a Sunday. Booked and happy

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on car hire please

just to let u no,where just back from aussie,and hired from bayswater,it was quick efficient and certainly a lot cheaper.taxi to bayswater cost about $30.would defnitaly use them again.

phnom penh
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on car hire please

Bayswater are great, I have used them for years and never had a problem.

8. Re: Advice on car hire please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 04:16