We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

I will be in Perth for a week this coming end March. There are two adults and one 5 yr old child. I intend to spend relax time strolling in Rottnest, Frementle and also cruising along Swan River. My questions are:-

1. Which cruise should I take if I want to experience the scenic cruise? Plan to spend 2 days going to these 3 places. I'm staying in Perth. Trying not to take redundant cruises as to save transportation cost.

2. Do I need to make advance bookings on- line for all these cruises or can I just go to the Barrack Jetty to purchase the ferry tickets over the counter at any day? Will it be more expensive compare to booking on-line in advance?

3. If I'm interested to go for the 4WD Pinnacles day tour, is it advisable to book on-line in advance or can I make my booking when I reach Perth? If possible, where and how do I do that?

Would appreciate any suggestion and advice. Thank you

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

I would pre-book the Pinnacles day trip. It's a long day trip.. and the vacancies could be tight.

As for Rottnest, why get get the ferry from Barrack Street Jetty .. which will give you a love relaxing view of some spots, and some nice mansions on the river. Then the boat will pick up people in Fremantle ... before heading across to the island.

When you return from Rottnest, you can get off in Fremantle and have a walk around and dinner at Fisherman's Harbor on the waterfront .. and get the train back to Perth City.

Rottnest ferry should be OK if you go midweek, and you can pick a nice sunny day to do that. March should be OK .. we can have the odd hot day.

http://www.rottnestisland.com/

Or if you want a day trip to Fremantle, go on a Friday or weekend as the markets are open ... you can get the train from the Perth city station on Wellington Street (Opposite Forrest Place).

fremantlewesternaustralia.com/…

You may also like a trip to the Swan Valley, which includes Caversham Wildlife Park ... your child will enjoy seeing the koalas and feeding the kangaroos.

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

http://www.svtours.com.au/

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Hi EagleM, Thanks for the helpful info. Will take yr advice to prebook the pinnacle tour. A few more questions n clarification if I may:-

1. So, the ferries to Rottnest, Frementle and Swan Valley need not prebook? I can purchase them at Barrack Street Jetty at any time and on any of the weekdays or weekends as well?

2. Is it the same for the train service at The Perth Station if I'd decide to travel back to Perth from Frementle? Btw, do you know the time of the last train departing from Frementle to Perth?

3. Any CAT buses going to Frementle and Swan Valley?

4. Is Mandurah worth visiting? I don't intent to drive. Advisable to go by tour or own explore by train?

Thank you in advance

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Hi

With trains from Fremantle to Perth they run fairly regularly up to about 11pm then less frequently till about 2.30. See Fremantle train timetable in this link:

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Home.aspx

With the CAT buses check the Transperth web site. See info under High Frequency Link. Basically there are routes within Perth and within Fremantle and not between. They are great to use, especially if you have a tired child!

CAT buses run within Fremantle- to see map go to

fremantle.wa.gov.au/sustainability/CAT_bus

Your little one like the playgrounds at Kings Park-Ivy Watson, Synergy and Naturescape playgrounds

…wa.gov.au/kings-park/…synergy-parkland

No CAT buses going to Swan Valley - you will have to take a tour if you are not driving.

Fremantle is very easy to do by yourself and the suggestion of taking ferry down from Perth then ferry to Rottnest and train back to Perth is a really good one. It will be quite a long day. You could easily get back to Fremantle if you wanted to explore on another day.

Hope this helps with your planning. Perth is a friendly place and people are (usually) willing to assist your when you are here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

I would book the Swan Valley the day before ... because they have small buses. Again during the week should be fine.

If you know what day you want to do Rottnest, prebook the day before... you can do it online or over the phone. No need to do a cruise down to Fremantle separately... as the ferry goes from Barrack Street to Fremanlte on the way to Rottnest.

Yes, the train from Fremanlte to Perth and vice versa, goes from the Perth City Station.

CAT buses only go around the city .. and there is one in Fremantle as well.

Mandurah is quite nice ... you can get the train to Mandurah from the Perth Underground Station on the corner of William Street and Murray Street, or from the Esplanade Station on William Street, next to the Convention Centre. In Mandurah a bus will take you to the main area where there are shops and some nice eateries along the estaury. You can also do a dolphin cruise there, near the Dome Cafe. You can go by yourself there.

Another nice place to go to is Sorrento Quay at Hillarys. You can get the train from the Perth Esplanade or Perth Underground Stations to Whitfords Station and get a bus. The beach there is very protected for your child, and lots of restaurants and shops, as well as AQWA, a really nice aquarium.

http://www.sorrentoquay.com.au/

I am unsure of the last train from Fremantle, it would depend on the day of the week. I will try and find out for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

The last train can be between 11.30 and 1am .. depending on the day.

The timetable link above will help .. .click on trains, then the Fremantle line and timetable... very easy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Just to clarify further:

Transperth buses, trains and ferrys operate for a fee.

In the city centre of Perth, and the city centre of Freo - there are free CAT buses. They basically do loops around those two city centres. They do not connect Perth and Freo.

There are also tourist ferry's which operate from Perth to Fremantle and down to the Swan Valley.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Thank you so much Jean, Eagle and Perfectly for the links and valuable info. Will go for tours for Pinnacles n Swan Valley cruise. Own exploration to King's Park n Perth City, Frementle, Rottnest, Mandurah and Sorrento Quay at Hillarys (read about it n love it!!!)

A few more questions:-

1. Is it advisable to get a Smartrider Card or pay cash tickets for my train, ferry and bus rides? Which one is cheaper and more convenient for me?

2. Besides trains to Sorrento Quay at Hillary's Boat Harbour, is there any bus service there? If yes, what kind of bus and where do I board the bus? Can this trip be a day trip or do I have to spend a nite there? Suggestions?

3. Need heads-up on this.....One of my holiday days is Good Friday. From my readings, the CAT buses are not operating on that day. What about other mod of transport? Any tourist spots not open on that day too? Will I have difficulties going places on that day?

Thank you

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

To get to Sorrento Quay you need to go on the Joondalup line and get off at Whitfords Station. Then the bus will take you to the Quay. The Joondalup line leaves from the Perth Underground and Perth Esplanade Stations, both on William Street. The Underground is on the corner of Murray. It can be a day trip or half day trip .. you don't have to stay there .. it's on the beach in one of our northern suburbs.

On Good Friday there will be trains and buses, but less of them. May be a good idea to check with the tourist bureau on the corner of William and Hay Street (at the end of the mall) when you get here.

Mandurah or Sorrento Quay, or even the day at Rottnest could be a spot to go on Good Friday. If you choose Rottnest, book your tickets in advance, as being a long weekend, many people would go there for the whole weekend, so the ferries will be popular.

You can get a day pass for a family for the trains and buses .. its very good value. People at the station can help you with that.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

Thank you all for the useful tips and info. You guys have been very helpful indeed :-)

10. Re: Bookings for Cruises and Day Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:17