We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Bodmin
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Perth in July 6th - July 9th

We are a family coming to Perth this coming July for 3 days only. We wanted to do the science museum, Penguin Island / dolphin swimming (but I think this doesn't happen in July sadly...?) and the Whiteman park to see the animals like wallabies, roos etc.

Is there anything else we should do? We will have a car. We arrive Saturday lunchtime and we leave Tuesday...

Does anyone know about whales, dolphins and penguins in July? Is it an impossibility? Is the sea rough on the ferry to penguin island? Thanks....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Whale season is Sept to Dec so you wont be seeing any of them.

You could have half a day at the aquarium AQWA http://www.aqwa.com.au and half a day (with a picnic) at The Maze to see plenty of aussie creatures http://themaze.com.au

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

July is winter here and it will be very chilly and we hope rainy. Ferries may well be rough and some may be cancelled if the weather is too bad.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Bodmin - you are correct, Penguin Island is closed between June-September.

4. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 02:35
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

"...and the sea is not rough on the ferry to Penguin Island- you can actually walk there at low tide but it is closed in July. "

But please don't walk there - at any time of the year. People have drowned as they do not realise there are strong currents that run across the sand bar when the tide comes back in, and it comes in quick!

Scitech, Rotto and The Maze would definitely fill your days...

Edited: 02 February 2013, 22:14
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

watoday.com.au/wa-news/holiday-tragedy-as-tw…

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

I can't believe anyone would be so irresponsible as to suggest to visitors unfamiliar with the conditions that walking to Penguin Island is a possibility to consider.

Perth
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Yes my post was very poorly worded- what I meant to say was that the ferry ride is a very short trip in protected waters- and you actually see people walking there at low tide (to illustrate just how short a distance it was). I should have added that this is a dangerous practice that has resulted in drownings and rescues and of course not recommended. Lesson - think more before you post!

Bodmin
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Thank you for your postings. Drowning risk will definitely be heeded and we will not walk the sandbar... Also thanks for note about choppy sea... Want to avoid that. Will it be better given out fear of choppy seas, to do rossnest or stick to the maze and aquarium...?

How does maze compare to cavendish wildlife park for getting close to the animals?

We are also going to Sydney and cairns so maybe best to save aquarium until then....?

Thanks everyone...

Btw got house sorted on airbnb which I think is a great sue....

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth in July 6th - July 9th

Rottnest is a half hour ferry ride away. On really bad days the ferry is cancelled but I have been on it in some spectacularly horrible seas. Best to wait and see what the weather's doing on the day before heading over. And possibly buy some Kwells seasickness tablets.

When you're researching the wildlife park be aware it's "Caversham".