We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food in West Aussie

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
food in West Aussie

We almost start our journey to WA.

Pls recommend some special places for special food in Perth, Fremantle, Hilary Harbour Port, Scarbourgh, Rockingham, Bunbary.

I ve read the cat of "Restaurant", but actually, I want to look for some localize food. Is there any lobsters restaurants / stalls or oyster....

I know fish n chips is one of localize food in Perth, isn't it?

Last year, I tried many oysters in Tas. very fresh n yummy

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food in West Aussie

You might enjoy marron, the largest freshwater crayfish in Western Australia. I see it on menus when we travel down south, and I assume you can get it here in Perth too, but I don't know where specifically.

One of our favorite places for lunch is Lamont's in the Swan Valley - lovely fresh local food - open from Thurs-Sun. Lamont's in Cottesloe is good too, but they lack the laid back atmosphere found at the Swan Valley location.

We've had nice meals at Betty Blue Bistro in Rockingham.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food in West Aussie

Our 'special' place is Mosmans Restaurant. Built over the river with a great outlook. We always order the seafood platter for 2. All the local seafood on one platter and VERY filling.

http://www.mosmans.com.au/

Done Bettyblue in Rockingham too and agree its good. Not a bad view from there too!

South west...
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food in West Aussie

"Australian" type meals are a bit tricky as we don't have an obvious cuisine quite like Chinese or Italian, etc.

If you're going to Bunbury:

Mojos do delicious meals and they're just outside the cinema which is handy.

The Parade Hotel do great pub style meals. The venue isn't fancy, but it has breathtaking views out over the water.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive (about 40 mins) Hackersley Estate in the Ferguson Valley is really worth trying. They do good meals, lovely wines and it's a nice drive getting there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food in West Aussie

There are a few seafood restaurants on the waterfront at Fisherman's Harbour in Fremantle.....

Scarborough, Cottesloe, Fremantle .. all beachside suburbs have fish 'n chips... you could go to Scarborough and get your fish 'n chips and watch the sunset from the lawn.

Hilarys Boat Harbor has many different types of eateries too, if you're out that way.

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food in West Aussie

W.A food scene is a mix of international cusines BUT the best thing is that most of the produce is local. We have the best food here :)

Fremantle fishing boat harbour is good for fish and chips. Fish and chips is a hit and miss in Perth. Most restaurants also do fish and chips. Indiana's on Cottesloe beach do a good fish and chips.

Jus burgers sell a Kangaroo burger. Jus burgers use Australian only produce.

Fortysevenkirwan is a popular cafe in the neighbourhood of floreat, great for brunch, coffee and breakfast. Dishes are unique.

The Walk Cafe in Subiaco, is modern australia/mediterrean and does a great lunch and breakfast.

The best wood fired pizzas are at Sandrinos on the Cappuccino strip.

Choux Cafe is a good patisserie- all handmade cakes

For market food, head to Subiaco Farmers markets or Claremont farmers markets.You can get yourself a breakfast burger. Subiaco Station Street markets is also good with fruit and vege as well as food stalls.

Tuck Shop Cafe in Northbridge hand make their pies, it is a popular place.

Hawkers cuisine in Chinatown, serve the best malay style food.

Some restaurants that serve local dishes are Maltilda Bay Restaurant, Old Swan brewery, Subiaco hotel and Print Hall.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food in West Aussie

In Fremantle try Little Creatures, or The Left Bank.

In Hillary's I would reccomend Hippo Creek.

You should be able to find websites for all of them

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food in West Aussie

Stealth Hippo Creek may be fabulous food - but "local" food it isnt (which is what the OP has requested info on). Its South African cuisine.

8. Re: food in West Aussie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:15