We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Hello,

We are travelling round Australia for three weeks from April 2nd. What are the laws about pulling up on the side of the road to camp,

or does one have to stay in a campsite?

thank you

Oz
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Hi,

For some time I have been replying to those seeking information on a motor home holiday in OZ and NZ. I’ve taken the time to prepare my thoughts, beliefs and feelings on the subject. So here goes.

Motor home “holidays” are for those who enjoy the experience, in the same vein as there are those who enjoy self flagellation, solo round the world yachting and competing in ultra marathons. To each their own I say so long as they don’t interfere with me. Unfortunately driving a motor home does interfere with me if I’m amongst the unfortunates stuck behind one on a narrow twisty road and obviously their increased carbon footprint affects us all. The saving grace is when you see one stuck in the entry to a multilevel car park, broken down at the side of the road, broken into by the local crims when parked in a “free parking area”, or filling up at the servo.

Motor homes are more expensive than a rental car holiday and accommodation in motels/B&Bs/Hotels/on site cabins/hotels and even some resorts in Australia and NZ once the true costs are taken into account.

These direct costs include but are not limited to:

1. Rental.

2. Insurance.

3. Fuel (remember this is a truck with the aerodynamics of a house brick).

4. Site Fees.

5. Possible divorce proceeding for married or de-facto couples.

The human cost include but are not limited to:

1. The joy of truck driving, often in a foreign land on the “wrong side of the road”.

2. The wonders of living, travelling and sleeping in a space smaller than most kitchens.

3. The amenity of carrying your excrement with you.

4. The challenge of emptying the cassette containing the excrement.

5. The lottery of renting a motor home where not only the mechanicals are working (the bits that let you go, stop and steer) but also the peripherals such as heating, toilets, showers, cookers, fridges etc. The probability of having all of these disparate bits working at the same time fly in the face of both Murphey’s and Sod’s laws.

6. Point 5. from above.

7. The triumph of measuring the success of your trip by the length of the caterpillar train of happy motorists held up behind the mobile chicane you are driving.

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Firstly, I have to agree with what OZRCFLYER has said.

In answer to your question, there are roadside stops on the highways where you can pull off and stop for the night as long as the noise of lorries going past all night doesn't bother you. Camping on the side of the road is silly and dangerous.

In the cities of course you can't just camp outside someone's house. While I'm not sure of the legality, I do occasionally see vans parked in caparks around the place in both Sydney and Melbourne.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

And I have to agree with what OZRCFLYER has said too. Btw I can't see you "travelling ROUND Australia" in "three weeks", do you have an itinerary yet, and you've posted in the Perth forum, is that where you're starting from?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

If you are starting in wa be aware that roadside camping is not permitted. Use the RAC website to locate lists of available camp sites.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

"We are travelling round Australia for three weeks "

is the redex trial back?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

>>is the redex trial back?<< :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Each State has different laws but basically, in WA, "free camping"is heavily regulated and basically not allowed within the metro area.

This is the link to the WA Law as it stands:

austlii.edu.au/au/…s11.html

Perth
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

There is another way to look at it. Remember we are always encouraged to pull over and rest if we start to feel tired. If you just happened to find a nice secluded spot to "rest your eyes" and didn't wake up until morning - what a surprise! A nice picnic spot after all the day trippers have gone home (and the rangers have knocked off for the day) would be convenient.

But do be aware, you are all on your own out there - no comforting sounds of other happy campers around and the "safety in numbers" feeling you have in a proper camping/caravan park. Your safety should be an important consideration.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

Hi,

The safety aspect is a "biggie" for the OS tourists. In Kempsey for example a stay in the South Kempsey Park overnight outside the Tourist Info Centre will, depending on who is on early release/parole at the time see you robbed or worse!!

The sight of a rental camper is to some thieves what blood in the water is to a shark. They know you will have credit cards, cash and items that can e turned into cash for their habit before they are again consigned to the Edcucation Facility for criminals.

Please be safe!

Cheers,

Edited: 07 February 2013, 01:10
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rules about where to stay with a campervan

always good to watch the movie 'wolf creek' before contemplating free camping in the wilderness.