We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waco
4 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

I am planning a trip to Perth at the beginning of May to visit my brother who just recently moved there. I know it will be Autum there and have been told that May is the beginning of the rainy season. Can anyone tell me if the rain usually begins at the beginning of the month? I just dont want to be stuck inside the entire time I'm there visiting. Also any tips on things to do or must see things while I'm there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,666 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

No, the rain doesn't seem to really get going now until late June/July-ish. You can buy a cheap umbrella here if you need it for the odd shower if there is any.

For things to do have a look at the Top Questions and Itineraries over at the right of the screen and the WA Tourism website:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

You should find plenty to suit your interests, budget and capabilities.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 02:41
Perth
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

We wish it would rain in May but it never seems to- it can still be quite warm as well. When it does rain it is usually accompanied by wind and the old umbrella gets blown apart- a lightweight rain jacket is more practical.

Kendenup, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

With all of the weather changing you not even get any rain in May. We have holiday accommodation in the Great Southern region of WA overlooking the Stirling Range and sometimes we don''t get rain of any significance until late June.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

May is the perfect month to be in WA. You defintiely won't be stuck inside.

There's loads to see and do here, what specifically interests you? Beaches? Bushwalks? National Parks? Wildlife? City sights? Food and wine?

We've got you covered.

Waco
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

Thanks everyone! Now I'm really excited! I really appreciate the link as well. That website has some really helpful information.

I am interested in pretty much anything. If I havent done it before I'm willing to try it. I am from Texas and this will be the furthest I've ever traveled. I love food and wine and cant wait to try some of what Australia has to offer. I would love to see some of the native wildlife and I also love Geocaching so I cant wait to go exploring!

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

The best place to travel is the Southwest, you can get there is less than 3 hours.

I would recommend staying in Dunsborough, from there you have the best access to the Margaret River Wine region, plenty of vineyards to check out.

In the southwest you are sure to see plenty of Kangaroos and if you go out at night possums are easy to spot in the Peppermint trees.

I am into GeoCache there are plenty in the area to find, some hard some easy. Most of the Cache's are in a good spots for looking at nature.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

Early May is a great time to visit Perth and the southwest of Western Australia. You would be very unlucky to have more than the odd day of rain. Make sure you visit the Yallingup / Margaret River area and the Albany / Denmark area. Pemberton also worth visiting. Nice wines in these areas too. Enjoy!

Perth
Level Contributor
139 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

Rain? What is rain?.. Seriously though, Dunsborough will cover all of your bases, and May is a good month to travel.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 00:58
9. Re: Planning a trip to Perth Australia in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:15