We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Topic
6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

We are a family of 8 adts and 2 children (5yrs & 1.5yrs) going to Perth over Easter 29 Mar- 3 Apr. We need your expert advise on the following:

- apartment/area to stay which is conveniently located (as in easy to drive around from the apartment to places below.

- We would like to visit Margaret River, Fremantle, the zoo, a farm (not staying in the farm though), Dolphin watching, Pemberton (not sure if we have time).

Feel free to recommend anything that is suitable for kids. We are aware we only have a short period in Perth.

Many thanks in advance!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

This close to Easter you could be in deep doo-doo as far as accommodation is concerned. That's prime time and most of the good places will be booked out already. Better get your skates on and do some booking. I suspect by now it will be a case of whatever you can get.

Margaret River is a three hours drive away so you would need to stay at least one night. There are farms in the area and on the way down you can stop in Rockingham or Bunbury for dolphin watching.

From Margaret River to Pemberton is another hour and a half, then a four hour drive back to Perth. So an overnight in Pemberton I think. Probably better to forget Pemberton as you will be rushing around a lot trying to fit everything else in.

For the car you will probably need to rent a booster seat for your five year old and a child seat for your toddler. Child restraints are mandatory and they must have Australian Standards Association approved stickers so you can't bring them from home.

Good luck.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

I agree with YorkFoodie regarding the doo-doo :) Also agree that a visit to Pemberton might be a tad rushed. Margaret River has more than enough to occupy a visitor even for a week so I would suggest 2 nights there will keep you busy enough and the remainder exploring Perth and Freo. If you do decide on actually staying at a farmstay, they are quite popular in the MR region.

A good wbsite for MR attractions and accommodation:

http://www.margaretriver.com/

Edited: 14 February 2013, 07:11
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

Previous posts spot on. See what you can get 'down south' in terms of accommodation. Perth/Fremantle is actually quite lovely over Easter as a bit quieter with locals heading out of town. I always recommend playgrounds in Kings Park …wa.gov.au/kings-park/things-to-do/lotterywe…

Picnics on the river at Matilda Bay and Peppermint Grove and Cottesloe Beach- terrific spots for kids and adults to enjoy.

Remember to buy provisions on the Thursday as many places are closed Good Friday.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

Hi all

Thanks for your replies! Really appreciate. I can't get my food supplies as I will reach Perth on easter day. I am so dead! Anyway, should I miss Pemberton? Is there any other places that can replace Pemberton and is along the way and won't be too rush? Should I go to Scarborough?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

There is plenty to do in the MR area without adding towns to your list. Yes, miss Pemberton.

Scarborough is essentially a beachside suburb of Perth, if you plan to stay there you could but as a tourist destination of itself it is lacking IMO.

You may find the odd grocery shop open on Good Friday and you'd do well to look for one as few restaurants will be open due to licencing laws and high staff costs. Just get enough to be going on with (most likely won't be cheap) and do another shop on Saturday.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

You can get a pretty good idea of what Pemberton is like (as far as BIG trees go) at Boranup State Forest on Caves Road half way between Margaret River township and Augusta. There is a roadside parking area that has a viewing platform of this pocket of Karri Trees. Quite a serene place. Also some unsealed roads through the forest but that may not be viable with a hire car. You could also visit one of the caves down this way and perhaps visit nearby Hamelin Bay where the beach has a resident stingray population... if that appeals.

Im fairly sure that the IGA supermarkets are open thru Easter but you may need to check out if that applies to the nearest one to you.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

You may find this thread useful regarding Easter shopping:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k5…

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

Hi below is my draft itin. Would appreciate your comments.

29 Mar- day 1 ( 1 night accomodation in Swan Valley area)

Arrive Perth at 0620

Drive to Swan Valley (drive up north, 30mins from Perth airport)

Check-in

Buy groceries

Explore Fremantle

End of day

30 Mar- day 2 (1 night accommodation between Bunbury & Brusselton Check-out

Explore Caversham Wildlife Park in Swan Valley area

Lunch

Drive to Bunbury

Check-in

Explore around the area

Back to apartment for dinner

31 Mar- day 3

Check-out

Explore Bunbury & Brusselton

Lunch

Drive to Margaret river

Check-in & explore MR

Dinner

1 Apr- day 4 (2 nights accomodation in MR)

Explore Margaret River

2 Apr- day 5 (2 nights accomodation in Perth)

Check-out of MR and drive to Perth

Explore Perth zoo or picnic

3 Apr- last day

Explore perth

Back to SIN

Thanks!

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

I think this needs looking at. A couple of items seem to be out of order.

Day 1 - Buy groceries on the way to Swan Valley. Suggest Midland as best option for something open on Good Friday. Head to accom in Swan Valley and check in (can you check in early?) Spend the rest of the day exploring Swan Valley/Caversham Wildlife Park

Day 1 - check out and head straight to Freo. Spend half day then head to Bunbury.

Day 2 - check out and explore Bunbury a bit. In my opinion a "bit" is all you need. Head to Busselton for lunch. Check out Jetty and town and head for MR accom late afternoon.

Day 3 - Explore MR region

Day 4 - Morning exploring a bit more of MR region (maybe Dunsborough area) Head back to Perth and check in

Day 5 - Explore Perth, Zoo, Kings Park etc

Day 6 - Explore whatever of Perth you can before flying out.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 04:09
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6D 5N in Perth...help on accomodation and itin suggestions

Before you set your itinerary in stone you should see what accommodation you can get. Many places have a minimum stay, especially over major holidays like Easter Long Weekend. You may not be able to get one night here and there.