We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Topic
8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Good day,

Gonna be our 1st Perth n Fremantle visit in Sept. We looking forward to enjoy e place, weather, beach, local malls, coffee and local seafood/food. We have some enquiries hope can get some opinions and suggestions from you all.

Is there any car rental near the place we staying at Fremantle? Or should we just rent straight from the airport?

We are staying in Fremantle, near the Wray street and South Terrace junction. Is this area safe after say 10pm?

Hoping to visit the Fremantle market after we check into our apartment around 4pm, Sun. Is e market near the hospital area?

Day 1- I like to bring my boy to the beach, is the South beach nearest? Any concern on the weather as it's in September? Check out the area around Fremantle shops n eatery, any street mall where we can go?

Day 2- Planning a day trip up the Swan Valley for the vineyards and the Chocolate factory. Is these 2 place near each other to do it in 1 day? Should I drive or follow a tour group?

Day 3- Gonna spend a day or 2 in the street malls and shopping in Perth.

Day 4,5,6- The rest of the days will be split between either Rotto island, Kings park, North beach area or the zoo.

Day 7- walk the Fremantle market if we miss it on our arriving day, if not, just drive towards the Ascot area, along the river to sightseeing n enjoy stopovers coffees n small shops. Any advise?

Day 8- flight is planned at 1500hr, checking out at 10am, So we have around 3 to 4hr to spend before leaving for the airport. Any suggestion?

Hope You all can give some advise n suggestion or even point out any flaws in our planning. Thanks a lot!

Chris.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Regarding Day 2 -

The Swan Valley is easy to navigate on your own, as long as there's not much imbibing involved. Yes, the chocolate factory is close to several wineries. Several good spots in the valley for lunch too.

Don't get too excited about shopping in Perth. It's very expensive here and the shopping is pretty much the pits compared to Singapore.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

You should check out the prices for whatever car you want to rent. Most places have an office in Fremantle and renting from the airport is more expensive. Or you could rent from Bayswater which is a good budget firm and about a ten minute taxi ride from the airport. You will need to book a child seat for your boy.

September is really too cold for swimming especially for those used to warm tropical weather.

Coming from Singapore to shop in Perth is a total waste of time and flight ticket money IMO.

Restaurants are everywhere in Fremantle. The markets close at 5pm on Sunday so everything will be winding up while you're there.

In September a day trip into the country might be nice as it's wildflower season.

Have a look here

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

for ideas as well as the Itineraries and Day Trips at the right of the screen on the Perth forum and also the Western Australia forum.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Thanks for e quick replies. We will look into e day trips available n e car rental advise.

The weather still chilly even in e afternoon? Maybe we drive up north to Hillary beach to look around. Really wanted to show my boy what is a actual beach with white sand n blue sea is. Dun know if he can tke the chill weather though.

Actually we just wanna see n experience the local markets n street mall food , as we are more into food, especially fresh oyster n seafood, walking or driving around and relaxing at cafes.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

The local markets aren't really anything like markets in Asia. The smaller ones mostly just sell fruits and vegetables and the bigger ones (with the exception of the Fremantle Markets) tend to sell cheap plastic made in China tat... :-(

You won't freeze just walking on the beach but the water will be very cold.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Thks, will take note on the chilly water. No worries, will soak in the experience n enjoy the driving around.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

On Day 6 (Saturday) if nothing better planned and need another market fix, head over to the Subiaco markets for a wander and then stroll up Rokeby Rd. passing lots of cafes shops etc to Bagot Rd where there is a farmers market held every Sat morning at the local school on Bagot Rd. Small but very popular and selling a big range of local food and products.

http://www.subiacomarkets.com/

http://subifarmersmarket.com.au/

Both markets are smaller than the Freo one but have their own charm. Plus lots of shops and cafes on the walk between the 2 markets. Parking can be a bit of a hassle but I can advise further to make it easier for you if these markets are of interest.

Regarding beaches; take a drive up West Coast Hwy and then detour onto West Coast Drive and go as far as Hillarys Boat Harbour. The road follows the coastline and you can pull over wherever looks appealing. Then spend a while wandering around Hillarys Boat Harbour. Lots of shops, cafes etc and a perfect sheltered beach for your 4 y.o. to paddle at if not too chilly.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 07:17
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

South Beach is a lovely spot with great playground and two cafes. Locals love the beach and always lots of kids. I also like Cottesloe Beach for general area.

Safety around Freo. Hmmm...I always feel safe during day walking by myself and in the busy sections at night. However, if late at night I would be cautious walking home alone ( we live 10 minutes from Central Freo). You will be staying a 5 minute walk from main strip of Fremantle. You should be ok after 10 but I would still be a bit wary. Certainly not as safe as Singapore, but then not many places in the world are!

There's nice cafes and restaurants on South Terrace heading to South Beach. A very popular one with locals is Oolong and Lincoln-great food and alternative but only open in day time.

You could easily spend the day in Kings Park. The wildflowers will be out and there are several great playgrounds.

I like river areas for kids- eg Peppermint Grove, Matilda Bay, East Fremantle. Cafes at these spots too.

In general people and kids get up early here and get out and about and will be in bed by 10 pm. Was always amazed seeing all the little ones up late when we in China.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Thks AJ n Jean,

We will be planning a drive north to visit the Hillary's Boat Harbour during 1 of the weekday morning, just that we need to find out the stopovers for cafe n petrol along the way. I'll definitely take a stroll thru south terrace to south beach to soak in the September day, enjoy the beach n the cafes.

We are planning to visit 1 of the Parks in central Perth where there are playgrounds for my boy to run around n also for us to walk, think it's King Park. Zoo, Murray streets n maybe south Perth will be on another day.

Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,979 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Hillary's is hardly a day trip ! It's a suburb. You are not going to need petrol and food top ups in a 25 to 30 minute drive !

It's also filled to the brim with cafes and restaurants so no sense filling your stomach before you get there.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 days stay with wife n our 4yo boy, pls advise. Thks!

Hi Perfectlyperth,

Thks for pointing out. Just thought of a leisure drive up, thus the cafes for coffee, and petrol station is for trips after Hillary.