We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Hi,

We are a family of 6 traveling to Perth this weekend. We have arranged car rental from AVIS, is it a safe drive from the airport to Toodyay The Limes Orchard farm?

Has anyone got any experience and any advice? It's our first time doing self drive trip in a foreign country and we have 2 kids with us. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Safe in what respect ? Only you can possibly know what kind of a driver you are and whether you are a safe one.

Are you asking about crime ? Or road conditions ? Or what ???

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,219 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

The drive to Toodyay is quite pleasant. Be aware that in many places the road is two lanes with one going in either direction, so be very careful if you need to pass as you need to be sure you can see a clear road far ahead enough. There are no curbs either so try to stay on the bitumen and off the gravel edge; as long as you can stay in the lane you should have no problems.

If you have small children I hope you have organised car seats for them, and it is mandatory for everyone in the car (including babies) to be properly restrained either by a special seat/baby capsule or a seat belt for older passengers.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Im referring to road condition and traffic etc....

Thanks for the input, yes we have requested child seats for both of our kids. Btw, it's a Saturday afternoon, so I hope it's not too bad...

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

I drive from Perth to Toodyay all the time as my parents live there. The road is a good one, and as YorkFoodie says just watch the road, and do not attempt to pass any other vehicle unless you can clearly see the road ahead quite a distance.

It is about a hour and a quarter drive from Perth to Toodyay, depending on where you leave from in Perth. The road on a Saturday afternoon is reasonably quiet, unless there is something on up there.

Try to get into the town as well while you are there. There is a lovely park under the bridge in the middle of town and on most weekends has the little train running for the kids to have a ride, $2 each.

Enjoy

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Hi westaus211,

Thanks for your great advice!

I'll definitely go to the town let my kids have a ride if possible.

Cheers

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

It is a lovely drive to Toodyay. I think all West Australian roads are safe, you just have to be a careful driver - don't overtake unless it is safe, stick to the speed limit (100km/hr on country roads) and be extra careful of kangaroos if you are driving around sunset or later.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Thanks Tina for your advice.

Talking about kangaroos, what should we do if we happen to see one approaching to our car?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,219 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Stop without stacking the car. Kangaroos are unpredictable in which direction they will go, and trying to dodge them can be a losing proposition. Do not head off to the left and get your wheels on the gravel, and try to brake hard as this is a recipe for ending up facing in the wrong direction, stuffed into a tree. Just brake hard, staying in a straight line (maybe dodge a _little_ bit but stay on the bitumen).

Edited: 14 March 2013, 09:22
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Further to YF's comment - if in doubt, hit the roo on the road - do NOT swerve suddenly. Most people who die on country roads do so as a result of hitting trees.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self drive from Perth airport to Toodyay The Limes

Got it, realy appreciate all tips here!