We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What car to buy?

Paris...
1 post
Save Topic
What car to buy?

I am a new start in Perth, and planning to purchase a second hand car so that I can travel out around WA during the weekend on long holiday namely Margaret River, Albany, Sweden etc.

Will I be able to make do with a small car (e.g. ford fiesta) or do I need an SUV?

Most of the time, only two to three person will travel in the vehicle for the long distance trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What car to buy?

For those southwest destinations a small car is perfectly adequate.

For Sweden hmmmm plane would be easier than a Fiesta.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,337 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What car to buy?

I don't think we have Ford Fiestas, do we? Anyway, I think Eddy means Denmark, not Sweden. It's easy to mix them up. I do it all the time ;-)

You really only need an SUV if you are planning to tow a caravan or a boat and trailer, or if you are planning to do a lot of off-road travel, or live on a farm. Roads down south are for the main bitumenised and do not require SUVs. Even the dirt roads generally don't.

However a lot of people who don't really _need_ SUVs get them anyway because they feel good driving around in a huge hunk of metal, I guess.

So, a small car is fine. Just make sure it's something you will be comfortable sitting in for a few hours at a stretch.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What car to buy?

Hi Eddy,

I've been driving in WA for a number of years now. Based on my knowledge, a good & reliable 2nd-hand car to buy is a Toyota Ascent. It is extremely economical to maintain, easy on gasoline & completely trustworthy. This car is being used by Bayswater Car Rental for almost its entire fleet. Therefore, this tells you a lot.

The other car I find very reliable is the Toyota Camry. Even the 1993/1994 models are still found slogging it out faithfully on WA roads. I do own a 2010 Camry & it gives me problems-free driving for 3 years now. I believe it will remain so for the next 10-15 years or so.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 15:17
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,337 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What car to buy?

We have a Hyundai i30 and do a _lot_ of country driving in it. We have the diesel model and while the tank costs more to fill than the petrol model, we still average about 950km or more from a tank full. Plus it's got lots of leg room for tall folks (enough room for someone 6'2" to sit comfortably behind a 6' driver) and a comparatively large boot. It also has great acceleration for passing. We have ours serviced regularly and it's never missed a beat in over 130,000km.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What car to buy?

We've had no issues getting around WA for almost five years in our two wheel drive Corolla. Do be aware that many roads in WA are unsealed (some roads in National Parks, roads meandering through forests, country roads, etc) but they're generally well formed and completely doable in a two wheel drive. You'll miss of heck of a lot of WA if you never leave the bitumen.

There are plenty of opportunities for four wheel driving and beach driving n WA too, but I guess it comes down to your personal exploration style.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What car to buy?

If you intend to take some luggage with you as well as friends, maybe up the anti a bit and go for one a bit bigger than a fiesta ... like a camry or similar...

If luggage is minimal, then yes, a fiesta or corolla size will be ideal.

7. Re: What car to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 06:16