We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes to train service Easter long weekend

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Changes to train service Easter long weekend

Once again Transperth is inconveniencing 1000s of tourists and locals on the long weekend. (I'm pretty sure they did the same thing last year.)

Note to visitors: there may not be access for prams and wheelchairs as Transperth usually use very old articulated buses because they carry more people. Bikes and surfboards are not permitted. You can ring 13 62 13 to check.

From the West Australian today:

The Fremantle line will be closed from 8pm Thursday to Tuesday, with replacement buses to run the length of the line for the four-day weekend.

The Perth Underground Station will also be closed for the long weekend. Mandurah line trains would start from and finish at Esplanade Station instead of the underground.

People trying to get into the city will have to use a bus replacement service, which will run through Leederville, according to Transperth.

The Joondalup line will operate as normal from Leederville to Clarkson with rail replacement buses between Leederville and Perth.

The Armadale line will operate all stops, with replacement bus services between Thornlie and Cannington station. The Armadale line will operate on an alternative timetable and will operate on the Midland line platforms at Perth and McIver stations.

Good news for people using the Midland line over the weekend – it won't be affected.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

I thought I was being a bit harsh so I rang Transperth and checked and there will NOT be wheelchair or pram access on the Fremantle line. You'll need to check on the others.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 03:55
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

I suppose the option is to close the lines during the working week and inconvenience even more people. They have to do maintenance at some stage.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

The Midland line is regularly closed at night and on weekends for maintenance. Surely Transperth can do the same to the Fremantle line, rather than making it difficult to travel to a major tourist destination hosting a festival during one of the busiest holiday periods. Not to mention the amount of penalty rates they’ll have to pay.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

Just as a FYI

The Fremantle line is regularly closed after hours for maintenance. We get notified of these maintenance times as we live close by. There are a number of nights next week that work will be done. The public arent usually aware of this as it doesnt affect the normal timetable. Work usually starts around 12-1am and finishes by 6am. I doubt they would take the decision to close the line during normal hours unless it was necessary. Im assuming it is on this occassion.

5. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 04:32
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

Thanks AJ. I'd be a bit more sympathetic if Transperth didn't have such a track record (sorry!) of doing this over Easter. This is the 3rd or 4th time in recent years (not last year however as I originally thought). We were planning a day at the street arts festival and a night out at Clancy's but will probably rethink that now.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

They always run replacement buses. I know, its a bit more hassle, but its something.

I just hope they are reasonably quiet working thru the night. We've become accustomed to the night work but we've had a couple of really noisy nights over the years.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

The Donnybrook Apple Festival 30-31MAR won't be affected by track work.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

Track work, whether it be upgrades or maintenance has to be done. If 4 days annoys you, 70sGrrrl, don't move to Adelaide! There, the local trains did not run at all in January this year and one line will not run again until September/October... The buses that replace/d the trains are inadequate, unairconditioned and the drivers get lost! They also never run on time and often don't turn up at all...The local Union Reps were handing out water bottles to passengers to help them cope with the heat on the packed buses in summer.

There is always someone worse off somewhere...

10. Re: Changes to train service Easter long weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:17