We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

We will be arriving at Perth on route to Melbourne from the UK, and want to buy our duty free as late into our journey as possible. I have searched through earlier posts and read that there is a duty free on arrival at Perth, yet I can't see any evidence of one on the airport website or map.

Does anyone know for sure whether there is one?.

I assume we can't buy duty free at terminal 4 when we depart, (I can't see details of any shop or snack bar there either).

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

duty free is not cheap in australian airports.

where is your last stop before perth?

if duty free purchases for flights to australia are possible there it is usually a more economic option.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

There's a small duty free shop just before immigration. Mainly alcohol. it's generally not cheap though (nothing in Perth is). However, there is usually a deal on something, so if you're not choosy you might be ok.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

We stop at Dubai for 1.75 hrs to change planes, so don't think we will have time there, looks like we will have to buy in Manchester and bring it with us.

Does anyone know if you can get snacks at terminal 4 Qantas departure terminal?

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

"looks like we will have to buy in Manchester and bring it with us"

am assuming u r meaning duty free liquor eg. in quantities > 100mL.

that could be a problem as u may have it taken off u in dubai when trying to board the flight to australia.

unless there are special arranagements for DF purchases eg. singapore where DF is delivered to the gate for pick up after security, getting previously purchased DF onto flights as hand luggage to australia can be a problem.

check with your airline.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

The duty free shop on arrival in Perth is perfectly adequate. "Not cheap' is a relative term and I would certainly buy there rather than lug stuff all the way from UK. Have a look here:

http://www.firstdutyfree.com.au/default.aspx?

There are places to buy snacks in T4, but Qantas will feed you on a PER-MEL flight.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

Disagree, the duty free shop on arrival into Perth is TINY compared to that at Manchester and other UK airports. Also, immigration for EU passport holders is notoriously slow, at least one hour on each occasion that I've come through recently. If I were you I'd make all efforts to head to immigration as quickly as possible, or else you bound be stuck in a very long queue. In my opinion, the modest savings in duty free aren't worth the extra wait and the hassle of carrying it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

I'm not sure what web site you are using but there is info re duty free on the Perth Airport site. Perhaps have a look here?

perthairport.com.au/Shopping/ShoppingAtoZ/F1…

T4 (Q) is linked to T3 which has a Dome and Hudsons coffee shops, just a short walk but as Numbat says, if flying Q, you will be fed.

Edited to add - Adequate is a relative term and I do agree with Numbat. Personally, I never purchase duty free - the difference in price these days with discount outlets is not worth the hassles - either of queing longer at Immigration or having to lug it half way across the world.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 00:40
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

I would visit Tesco beforehand, wrap your purchases up well and pray they make it intact. This would be by far your cheapest option, even over duty free (which is certainly not cheap by UK standards).

The comments made by others re Dubai are correct, you won't get carry on alcohol bought at Manchester onto the flight.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 00:52
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

Gosh, I don't now where you all get your DF - the spirits we buy are much cheaper in DF that they are at the discount outlets - even at Australian DF.

As an example, a standard 12 yo Glenfiddich is $59.99 at both Perth DF and Dan Murphy's. Only difference being that the one you get at DF is 1 litre as compared to Dan's 700 mll.

That's a 30% difference. I would gladly carry a bottle or two onto a plane rather than from a store to my car.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 01:03
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free on arrival at Perth Airport

<<If I were you I'd make all efforts to head to immigration as quickly as possible, or else you bound be stuck in a very long queue.>>

Of course the thing with airports is that the longer you spend in the immigration queue, the shorter time you have to wait next to the baggage carousel and vice versa. And in Perth it all evens out at the quarantine queue anyway..........

And this is the beauty of TA - ask a a question and 9 tines out 10 you will get answers favouring the entire spectrum of possibilities. Although in this case I have to admit I hadn't considered Tesco as an option. :-)