We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

I'm a single female traveller heading to Perth in early October of this year. I plan to spend 2 or 3 days in Perth before heading off on a 4 day Monkey Mia your.

Where is best to stay for a solo traveller? CBD, Fremantle or Cottlesloe?

I'm not looking to party just maybe met other travellers and see a bit of the city.

Budget is limited- I don't want to spend more than 150 GBP a night.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

For your age group & because you are alone I would recommend Fremantle.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,218 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

I'd pick Fremantle as well, it's very walkable and there are heaps of places to eat and things to do. But not Rosie O'Grady's, which is party central.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

I'd say Fremantle as well, it will have a lot in close walking distance such as cute boutique shops, restaurants and cafes, bars and is only a short train ride from the CBD. Cottesloe is less well serviced by public transport and has less to see just wandering the streets.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

Yes, Fremantle is a friendly spot and I never feel alone walking around. Always lots of younger travellers in Kings Square during the day accessing wifi. Another spot where there are always lots of young travellers in their vans is at South Beach in Fremantle. Great spot and you can get free blue CAT if you don't feel like walking.

Could easily go to Little Creatures by yourself for a drink. Heaps of places for coffee. Catch the train to Perth city. This train line goes through Cottesloe so can get off at that station and walk to Cott- about 10 minute walk due west. Great to walk along ocean front path or beach. Cottesloe Hotel has been refurbished and good spot to sit and watch sunset.

Exercise Sensible precautions out at night by yourself. In Freo the main strip is busy at night with plenty of people but personally I wouldn't be walking around by myself after say midnight.

Recommend you go to Kings Park at that time of year as great to see wildflowers. There are free tours if you are interested.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

Hi-assumed you were in your early 20's so apologies if not the case.suggestions I gave suitable for all solo travellers.

If you can afford B&B accommodation then I always like the look of the following as i walk aor cycling by them, but no personal experience.

Port Mill

www.portmillbb.com.au/Content/Page.aspx…

BTW there's a lovely wine bar called Whispers next door and Luna on Essex movie theatre close by for more art house movies.

And Fothergills

fothergills.net.au/fothergills/fothergills-o…

Unfortunately as you have probably heard, we are not really blessed with a wide range of good and inexpensive accommodation here in Perth/Freo.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 11:28
perth australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

Def Fremantle a lot more action and easy to get to other places via train.

Visit Little Creatures for a pint / cider

There are a few backpackers places in Fremantle to meet other people travelling.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

High street (west end) and Philimore st have backpackers where you could go for a drink to meet fellow travellers. South beach is a great suggestion and there are often camper vans in the carpark as well as the carparks south of sth beach (CY OConnor) if you are adventurous and wanted to meet people camping around...There is heaps to do in freo and a great community spirit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

If you're staying in Freo, checkout the ferry to Rottnest and hire a bike for part of the day. Lodging in downtown Perth will be very pricey (at least in my opinion coming from the US), and likely over budget. Fremantle is a great town and check out Little Creatures, the Loft (I believe it might be part of Little Creatures) and Sail & Anchor. The prison tours are great - lots of recommendations for the torchlight tour. Public transport is phenomenal here and we haven't needed a car at all.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

If you do go over to Rottnest, consider staying overnight. The ferry is expensive, and the ferry times mean your 'day' is quite short, and you just won't get the vibe of the place on a day trip. You may see whales off the coast in October - in the distance. We went in october a couple of years ago and as we pulled into the Rotto jetty, we had a humpback mother and calf swim under the boat! Pretty special, but apparently rare.

There are generally quite a few travellers staying at the army barracks which is by far the cheapest place to stay. Rotto is generally a quiet, relaxed, contemplative kinda place (for me)... though it does have the potential to crank into party mode in a huge way (not in october though).

Oh, also not wanting to freak you out, but just be aware the snakes will be starting to get their groove on then too - we saw heaps of dugites at that time. They are very shy though, so you'd have to try hard to get bitten, but just be aware.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Perth, Fremantle or Cottesloe?

Hi

Just for the record I agree with Fremantle.

But if you chose not to stay in Fremantle then definitely not Cotesloe. Too isolated.

If you decide to stay at a beach location then make it Scarborough. Fremantle or Pert bCBD better.