We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Hi, I'm going in may to Perth for 5 days with both sets of grandparents and my two kids(1 and 3 yrs). We arrive Thursday 1pm and I'm thinking of doing the following

Day 1- drive from airport to swan valley for farmstay

Day 2- Fremantle

Day3- magaret river

Day4- magaret river

Day 5- back to perth(mint, kings park) airport

Does it make sense? Any Idea if we can self drive a mini van 9seater?

Are we better off staying day 2 in Perth and do a day trip or overnight in Fremantle? Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Fremantle's not that far from the Swan Valley, about an hour's drive. And if you pack up and head down to Freo the next day from your farmstay you will have spent so little time at the farmstay that you may as well have given it a miss and stayed in Freo in the first place anyway, IMO.

For Day 5 a lot depends on what time your flight out is. It will take about three hours to drive from Margaret River to Perth, and you should be at the airport two hours before your flight. Only you know if you have enough time in between those two events to visit King's Park and the Mint (though they are worth seeing, I think).

You should be able to drive a mini van. Plan not to drive in rural areas at dusk , dark and before dawn. Animals come out then and hitting a kangaroo will be expensive, traumatic and potentially injurious or worse. Do pre-book infant seats for your children as they are mandatory, but the hire company needs to have time to be sure they are available.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

great advice and nothing to add. My first impression of your itinerary is that you are moving around too much to really see/experience anything, as YF has pointed out above

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Some great advice, but may I please suggest something else? Margaret River is a wonderful place to go and very beautiful but two days is really not long enough & quite a long drive especially with little children. You would also probably need to choose the freeway option so not a lot to see on the way. The Swan Valley is a bit like a mini Margaret River & I would suggest you spend the the time in this area. A lot of the wineries which are in MR are also in the Swan Valley. The MR chocolate factory is also there along with great restaurants. I am not saying the S/valley is as good as M/R but given your time frame I would recommend it. You would then have time to see the beautiful beaches, go to Sorrento Keys (Hillerys Boat Harbour) to enjoy a walk around the marina, the shops, cafe's etc. You could spend a whole day driving along the coast from Fremantle in the South to Mindarie in the Northern suburbs. Kings Park is not to be missed either, wonderful both during the day & also to see the city lights at night. Hope this info helps & have a great time in Perth.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

I would miss out margaret river. Yes it is fab but it is a long drive and there is so much to do in perth. I would rather take kids to rottnest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

I agree with all other posts. Why MR? Stay in Perth/Freo/Swan Valley and enjoy with such a short time frame.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Thank you all for the constructive feedback, will rejig my plans. Can I check

1) re Yorkfoodie's point on not driving in the dark, what time does it get dark in tthe evenings in Perth in may?

2) our flight out of Perth is 1am. What is the best way to get from the city centre to the airport as it is quite late at night and there are 8 of us?

Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

1) about 5.15pm- you can check sunrise/set times here:

www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp

2) Maxi taxi would work out cheaper than the shuttle and take you door to door. At the taxi rank let the controller know you need a maxi. There should be some in the queue waiting.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 18:42
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

PS I was referring to not driving in the dark, outside the city limits. In the metro area there are street lights and few wild animals. You will be fine driving in the city and suburbs.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

Re your second point in #6, taxi back to the airport. As YF suggests, you will need to request a Maxi cab when you telephone or if you are staying in a hotel with front desk assistance. Either way definitely prebook but there are no guarantees and be prepared to have to take 2 taxis.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback for itinery with kids and grandparents

alternatively you could just drive your hire car out to the airport if they have an office there - you'll need to check as some close, but you should be able to leave keys with another office. No taxi company will guarantee pick up at all, let alone at a set time, so I would certainly do this if it is an option.

Driving in Perth metro area at night will be fine in terms of wildlife.