We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Hi All!

I'm a medical student in London, UK planning an elective placement for a month at the Royal Perth Hospital, which I'm really excited about! Unfortunately I was told recently that the hospital based accommodation I was expecting to stay in is no longer available. I'm due to fly out there on 19th August and have no where to stay for 4 weeks!

I have looked into hotels and bed and breakfasts but they are ridiculously expensive for 4 weeks. I'm not keen on homestay (where you live with an Australian family) as I would like my own privacy. I am considering backpackers lodges...but 4 weeks in a backpackers, and having to dress up formally to go to work in the hospital, the working life and backpackers life..the two don't fit.

But honestly open to most things now, desperate for advice. If anyone out there has any words of wisdom I would be sooo grateful!

Edited: 01 July 2013, 19:10
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Hostels don't just have big dorm rooms these days. You could easily have a private room and bath which would just be like staying in a hotel, but cheaper.

My college-aged kids have done this all over Europe since they don't like shared quarters either. They use HostelWorld.com to find and book their hostels.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Try Airbnb. There are some good options out there for Perth.

I would also suggest you contact the liaison person you are dealing with at Perth hospital. Perhaps they could offer suggestions or know someone who knows someone?

Any kind of hotel option is going to be v. expensive. Perth is notorious for that. It's the FIFO workers. (Fly in fly out)

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

That's tough given the accommodation situation in Perth. Good suggestions about Airbnb and liason officer.Not so keen on hostels myself for Perth but as mentioned they usually have private rooms.

Maybe contact the UWA Medical Student Assoc. see if they had ideas.

Here's contact info

http://www.wamss.org.au/about/contact-us/

Think our students go abroad for similar experiences at end of 5th year.

Would be most convenient if you could get somewhere near a train line.

Here's a link to the local western suburbs (nice areas of Perth) paper which sometimes has short term rents in the classified section.

www.postnewspapers.com.au/classifieds.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Wow....thank you so much to you all. Very helpful suggestions! I am so grateful!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Also check the share accomodation listings on Gumtree which is the local version of Craig's List

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-perth/l3008303

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Actually Craigs List exists in Perth

http://perth.craigslist.com.au

Gumtree is owned by Ebay Australia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Thanks, I didn't know Craig's List had a Perth branch. After a quick look I think I prefer Gumtree. It seems much more active. I've used it buy stuff and advertise events and never had a problem.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 14:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Thank you once again! Still desperately looking!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Here are a few more to try

http://www.townsend.wa.edu.au/index.php in the city, close to all transport

…uwa.edu.au/content/guest-accommodation/ also close to transport but I don't know about the cost

http://www.beattylodge.com.au/

not as well located but ok

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

What sort of budget do you have per week for accomodation. That may help in offering suggestions as accomodation in Perth is expensive.

If you don't want a backpackers the cheapest you will find is a motel type accomodation at around the $110 a night mark.

Globe backpackers have single rooms for around $390 a week. They have a pool, kitchen facilities, laundry, TV room, internet cafe and it is an okay backpackers. It is on Wellington St so pretty good location to just catch the free CAT bus down to the hospital. Would be worth a look.