We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days South and 7 days North

Reading, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
7 days South and 7 days North

I wonder if anyone could recommend some good itineraries for us or places to visit on our once in a lifetime trip.

We are travelling with our 4 and 5 year old in December. We have hired a campervan and plan to travel south for 7 days. We start and need to end in Perth City.

Then after Christmas we plan to spend 7 days exploring North of Perth City again we need to come back to Perth in order to fly out in the New Year.

With our Children we don't want to spend the whole time driving.

We would like to show the kids as much wildlife as we can as they will not be so interested in gorges etc.

We also like adventure so if there is anywhere we could go on a sea plane or out on a day adventure in the outback or horse back riding on a ranch, something different.

Maybe also some less well know areas rather than the popular tourist areas.

There is so much information on the web i'm getting a bit lost in it all so any recommendations appreciated.

Captain Cook Cruises
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Kandu Holidays
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Adams Pinnacle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild West Charters
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days South and 7 days North

The north is mostly scenery and gorges with a lot of driving between towns. In December it will be getting hot though you might get lucky and not have it unbearable. And the "outback" as I'm thinking you imagine it is a lot farther than a day trip.

Have you booked your campsites in the south? Free camping is not permitted and as December is peak holiday season many place will be booked out already.

I would suggest you have a look at the WA Tourism website and through its links to the regional and town tourism website, to see what appeals to you in terms of activities and destinations:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days South and 7 days North

I'd think kids of that age would be bored to tears going north, not to mention that it's cyclone season and will be incredibly hot up there.

If it were me, I'd stick to the south, with perhaps a short jaunt up north just as far as the Pinnacles, which the kids might find mildly entertaining.

If you want a taste of the Outback, you might consider heading towards Kalgoorlie, then working your way down to Esperance (wonderful beaches) and then through the south - Albany, Denmark, Walpole, Margaret River, etc. It's beautiful down there with plenty to keep the whole family happy.

There's a park in Donnybrook that gets rave reviews from kids your age, might be worth a look to see if you can fit it in:

weekendnotes.com/apple-funpark-donnybrook/

Edited: 01 August 2013, 03:18
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days South and 7 days North

Another vote for staying south. As Mel said, if you want an outback experience then you could include Kalgoorlie. However, with two weeks you could see a range of landscapes in the south west- still plenty of driving but distances not that vast and more manageable for kids. If you had to go back to Perth in the middle for some reason, then head Margaret River first then back to Perth then Albany region for second week. Otherwise a big loop for 2 weeks. As Yorkfoodie said, book your camping spots as very busy time with locals heading off. In Albany suggest Middleton Beach caravan park and Emu Point has two caravan parks. Kids would love both locations as right on beach.

4. Re: 7 days South and 7 days North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:16