We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who? Where? What? When?

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Who? Where? What? When?

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are planning on travelling to Australlia, New Zealand, Thailand & Malaysia - we are English so not a fan of the heat, however we dont want it to be to cold! Nor do we wont it to rain (heavily). We heard September may be the best time?

We are staying with our friends in Perth but are looking to travel around, so if anyone knows of the best places to go in Aus, the cheapest way to get around and the cheapest place to stay that would be excellent?

We have as much time as we want really the only that will send us home is when we run out of money, we have about £5000, Accommodation in Perth is covered. We dont really want to spend all of this money in Aus as were looking to stay there for 3 weeks and then going on to New Zealand, Thailand & Malaysia...

So if anyone has any tips, info or anything reating to the above we would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Amy & Gary

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

Have you consulted your friends at all? Presumably they know you and what you would like better than we do, so their suggestions might be a better starting point for you.

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

They are only moving over there themselves in January 2014 so are just as clueless as us!

Thanks though

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

OK, so tell us a bit more about yourselves. What you you like? What do you dislike? What are you able to do? (As in, no point in us suggesting you climb the Gloucester Tree if you're in a wheelchair, or visit Morish Nuts if you have a nut allergy, for instance). Do you drive? Ideally, what do you see your per day budget (in Australian dollars)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

Australia doesn't really have much of a predictable 'rainy season', except perhaps for the tropical areas. Most places will be warm for you no matter what time of year you travel. September is a good time to go to Australia (and usually quite cheap for flights) but it will be monsoon season in Thailand so I'm not sure you want that! You could consider November. It will be hot but the heat in Australia is not the same as the heat in the UK, it's a lot drier. I think you will cope better than you think.

Because budget seems to be your main concern, you may be better off spending a bit less time in Australia and more in Thailand. Nowadays with the exchange being as rubbish as it is, our money doesn't stretch very far in Aus and everything seems super expensive (when I moved to the UK it was the other way around!).

If you book flights with qantas, you can usually include some internal flights essentially for free - ie it can work out cheaper or the same price as just your return flight would have been. You could perhaps fly London to Perth then to Alice Springs (because the scenery is so different to the rest of Aus) then to Sydney then to Bangkok and back to London. Then say, you could go to Malaysia from Bangkok or New Zealand from Sydney but would have to come back to get your flight.

Hope you have a great trip.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

Asking your friends would have been my suggestion too. Oh well, maybe you could tell us about what sorts of holiday experiences you are looking for. I mean my *best* isn't necessarily your *best*. I still remember in my younger days walking to the top of Mount Oberon, I'm not sure I thought it was that great at the time, especially as we rounded another bend and there was nothing ahead except another bend, but then we made it to the top! But for all I know you might be the type to say yaaaawn, why am I exhausted with sore feet in the middle of nowhere looking at pretty much nothing when instead I could be . . whatever. The most futile request here includes the word 'best', only made worse by adding the word 'cheapest'. Tell us what inspires and excites you about the prospect of this adventure, mention you are on limited funds, and then we can start helping you with your planning.

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

I (Amy) will be 24 and Gary will be 28 next year, were quite active and enjoy day trips to random places whether its a climbing a tree in the woods or shopping! We love swimming and adventure activities, we love to try new foods (no allergies) and generally just have fun, were not big drinkers or partiers and we just like to chill out at night! We're not really into history and art so maybe no museums ha!

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

Our main passion is animals - all kinds! Not so much hiking up empty mountains! As that's hot work but if there's something amazing at the end of if it then we would definitely consider it!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who? Where? What? When?

My suggestion as I am short of time - google including Western Australia in your search:

Swim with dolphins

Swim with Whale Shark

Caversham Wildlife Park

Adventure activities

Canoeing/Kayaking

and check out the official Tourism WA site

www.westernaustralia.coc

Edited: 02 August 2013, 00:29
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
48 reviews