We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Okanagan Falls...
1 post
Save Topic
how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

we are planning our first trip to Perth this November. We have 7 days to spend exploring the region. How should we divide our time?

Our current interest is to either spend relaxing time on Rottnest Island or rent a car and travel to the Margarette river area, or a combination of both. How much time should we allow to explore these two areas? Any suggestions for other top sights to see in a week in Perth?

Thanks,

JK.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

If by "relax" you mean "low key sightseeing" as opposed to "doing pretty well nothing at all" then two days would cover it for Rottnest. After that you'll have done all the activities and beachcombing will be all that's left. This is not necessarily a bad thing, if that's what you want to do.

The Margaret River area has a lot more things to do, to keep you occupied for longer if just being at the beach and lazing around isn't your thing.

Late November is Leaver's Week, where traditionally hordes of graduating high school students go to Rottnest and the Dunsborough area near MR, to party with all their friends. If you don't want to share your space with a bazillion teenagers on the ran-tan then perhaps you should consider other destinations.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

I would tend to do a combination of both. Agree 2 days at Rottnest ( or even one ovenight) and say 3 days Margaret River area. Leavers is 23-26 November so avoid Rottnest and Dunsborough (in MR region).

Sounds like you are after beaches so my too pick in Perth would be Cottesloe Beach. Kings Park is a must as well to see the unique flora.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

Rottnest is best when staying at least 2 nights that way you can relax and get around the island and enjoy the spots while not being rushed, I wouldn't go anymore than 2 nights though.

Margaret river is awesome if you like wine otherwise other places like The Perth hills have great waterfalls that time of year if you like walking trails in the sticks.

You must visit King's park that is a day in itself and has everything you need to have a great day out, plus it's like 2 mins from the city, they have a website with all the info on there.

Don't forget you can talk to places for info like Rottnest, kings park, perth city on twitter with quick answers

Cardiff
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

I agree with the previous posters that 2 days would be enough in Rottnest. We stayed there in March and it is extremely expensive for accommodation and the ferry trip - 3 nights cost us well over $1000 including ferry and the accommodation was very poor. You could alwys take a day trip instead. I would not hesitate to go to Margaret River for the wineries and the beaches and travel further south to Denmark and Albany far more to see and do

Perth
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

Rotnest Island is small so you could spend a day see and do what they offer it is a place for cycling walking or going to the beach they do have a good Pub nice food a couple of restaurants and two take away food shops a tennis court. Three days would suffice beautiful if the weather is good. Margaret River is 4hrs from Perth lovely to look around the wineries and lovely coastal area Yallingup is lovely and Dunsborough is nice too so you could spend a few days and look around all the areas none are too far from each other. Perth is lovely a day walking around go to the Mint the Cathedrals the Fire Station Museum Art Gallery up to Kings Park where you will see lovely gardens and beautiful views. Swan Valley has wineries about 40mins from Perth you can get a tour bus to take you around nice day out. Fremantle 30 minutess from Perth well worth the trip if Friday Sat or Sunday the place is buzzing and you can spend a good few hours there fish and chips at Cicerrellos on the jettyJust one portion feeds two. You could go on the Hydroget great fun its near Cicerrellos. I am sure that whatever you do it will be enjoyable. Welcome

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

Hi,

nicely advised by all the wise great folks over here.

Yep, two days should suffice for Rottnest Island-well, one I feel to do justice to that ferry fare,and second, not too long-accommodation is rather expensive. The train ride is also fun.

By the way, Perth zoo is worth a visit too,and also after the visit,and having work a great appetite, have a meal at Ciao Italia,then burn those guilt calories with a nice stroll back to Mends Jetty for ferry back to Barrack.

As I have also gone to Dunsborough--why, for Uncle Simmo ice cream..

One of my itinerary in many visits to Perth, was from airport, drove to Busselton via Mandurah, then to Margaret River( two-three nights), then to Augusta(view of Leeuwin light house and its expanse just opens the mind), Denmark, then Albany before heading to Fremantle,then back to Perth city.

(the above- possible,with "courtesy" of AirAsia X, which from Kuala Lumpur, arrives into Perth at 0525hrs, by the time, deplane, immigration and customs, coffee+ sandwich for food at airport, load up my Optus/ Telstra phone lines)..car rental company already open- ready to collect vehicle)

So roughly in the seven days

from airport to Margaret River vide Busselton(see the jetty)- 2 nights in Margaret River

Early start from Margaret River to Albany ,along the way Augusta, Denmark- a night in Albany

next day on ALbany Highway to Fremantle-I took about 5 hours- a night in Fremantle, return rental car, take ferry for Rotto- 2 nights

So we have six nights here already.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 08:51
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

Forget Albany, Denmark and everything east of MR. All the southwest in 3 nights? Might as well sleep in the car too cos most of the daytime will spent in it anyway. OP didnt ask about Albany etc and besides, hes only posted once and as we havent heard diddly squat from him in over a week, I doubt he gives a rats anymore.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

I personally cycled around Rottnest in about 4-5 hours but the beaches are unbelievable so you should allow time to fully experience them all.

I agree 2 days tops as it is a small place.

9. Re: how many days to spend on Rottnest Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:21