We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to WA

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
First time trip to WA

Hoping to catch up with our kids who are working in various places in WA in November. Can you recommend a reliable campervan hire co for a couple of 50 year olds who don't like the idea of the graffiti style ones.....arriving Perth with view of travelling north then returning to Perth. Any other hints and tips welcome . Thanks

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to WA

Hi. Have a look through past forum posts as has been discussions on camper van hire. Guess you know that it will be quite hot and humid in November as you head north. Which places are you going? How long will you have here? If you have time then would thoroughly recommend the South West of the state- places such as Margaret River, Pemberton, Walpole, Denmark and Albany. That loop makes a wonderful trip at that time of the year.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to WA

Thanks for your suggestions....will check old posts re camper hire. We're spending just 2 weeks and hope to catch up with sons working east of Perth and daughter at Monkey Mia, but would obviously like to see all the best bits that this area has to offer. First time to Australia, but hopefully not last!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to WA

Trying to firm up my itinerary. Arrive Perth 17.50 on the 18 Nov so will book overnight accommodation near airport. Have decided on motorhome (with aircon) to drive up to Shark Bay, where my daughter is working. Would like to see Kalbarri and Pinnacles on way. Where would make a good overnight stay?

Will spend 3 days at Monkey Mia and would like to go little further north to Coral Bay and then return to Perth. Think we would like to do the loop suggested earlier of Margaret River, Denmark, Albany. Fly back on Dec 2nd. Looking for timing suggestions and any places not to be missed. Are distances doable? Or do I need to cut back?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to WA

Pinnacles are best viewed for photographs at dawn or dusk so maybe stop for a night at Lancelin and then make your way to Jurien for the night - slow and easy - before moving on to Kalbarri for at least one night and then to MM. If you don't wish to stop at Jurien(small fishing town) then you can do Kalbarri in one hit from Lancelin.

You effectively have from the 19th - 1st inc which is 13 days. Not very long to do what you are suggesting. You are going North so why not just spend all your time there? Plenty to see. Leave the SW for another time.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to WA

Agree with Perthite about timing, though if you wanted a bit of a taste of what the South West has to offer, you could have say 10 days up north then fit in 3 days in the Yallingup/Margaret River area ( 3 hrs south of Perth) to give you some idea of the region. Leave the loop across to Albany for next visit!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to WA

Thank you both so much for your input.....we are hoping to return, all 3 of our children are currently in WA and at the rate they're moving they'll be there for some time yet. My youngest has just moved up to carnavon this week for work. If I could ask another question: how long would it take to drive back from Carnavon to Perth. We're not foot to the floorboards drivers so would we need 2 or 3 overnight stops.

I've looked through old posts for any recommendations on campervan hire companies, but none seem to stand out. Have you any suggestions? Sorry that was yet another question!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time trip to WA

Personally the idea of a campervan leaves me cold, although my parents are what is referred to in Aus as " Grey Nomads" and I was brought up on tenting,caravans and pop top campers....

Campervan hire is very expensive and most companies require around $7.5K as a bond and they DO debit your CC, not just put a "hold" on the amount. They use more fuel than a car (obviously) and need to be cleaned, including emptying the toilet cartridge, before returning. Have you driven one or used one before?

Discovery Campervans is a reseller or Agent - you could use their site to compare businesses and then look for specific reviews.

discovery-campervans.com.au/campervan.php…

Perth
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time trip to WA

Whenever we travel in WA we see plenty of Britz hire campervans, may be worth investigating?

Personally I would stop at MM /Shark Bay to see your daughter then come back down to south west rather than continue on up to Coral Bay. Although it's beautiful up there from around April to August it will be SO hot in November and that would really put me off. Also given your timeframe and preference to take things slowly (great idea), I would leave out Albany and just do Busselton, Dunsborough, Marg River and surrounds. Plenty to see and do and less time driving. Albany, Denmark, Walpole are beautiful but I would save for another trip next time myself.

Enjoy your travels and our beautiful state!

Edited: 16 October 2013, 23:42
Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time trip to WA

Hi!

3 years back we rented a campervan from Around Australia Motorhomes in Perth. Back then they were good at least; reasonable quotes, well maintained and clean vehicles, good customer service/support. Could be worth checking out: http://www.aamotorhomes.com.au/

Also Go Camper in Rockingham might be worth checking out, seems as they have a pretty good reputation: www.gocamper.com.au

And also Britz as mentioned, seems that Britz have a fairly good reputation as well.

I'm actually researching for a trip to WA next year and I think we will go with one of the three mentioned above.

Leaning more towards Around Australia Motorhomes or Go Camper at the moment but we'll see :-)

I wrote a trip report about our campervan trip in the north west, perhaps it can give you some info/ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255101-i530-k4061…

Happy planning!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time trip to WA

j_a70 just read your road report.....very informative.....wish we had a bit longer to see WA but I'm hoping that we will return next year.....our kids are loving their time in Australia so can't see them leaving before the 2 years is up!

Can't wait to be writing my very own road trip report

Thanks