We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to Perth and intend to go to Margaret river for a few days.

How is the weather in Dec 2nd week and are there alot of flies? The flies will bother me as i am bringing a baby.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

there are always flies in australia in summer.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

As above. There are flies in summer in Australia. There are also babies in Australia.

Just pop into a chemist when you arrive and buy some kid safe roll on repellant and a net for the stroller.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Flies are starting to emerge now as the weather warms up. We have had a lot of rain in the past few weeks. Rain plus heat sees bush flies.

PP has the best suggestions. A net for the stroller and either roll on or kid sfafe spray (for their clothes).

Flies are a fact of life in Aus in spring/summer/autumn.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
103 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Oh dear. PerthiteOZ - there are loads of flies now? I am going in a week or so. Thought that there will not be so many flies yet. If yes, I have to get prepared.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

No - I didn't say there were loads of flies now. I said they were starting to emerge. If you are not going near bush areas, you should be fine.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

I was in MR during the 2nd week of Dec 2012 and the flies were unbearble. Previous summers (Dec-Feb) when Ive visited have been no different. The worst areas affected were along the coast between Dunsborough and Augusta. Alfresco eating was near impossible. The further inland, the less flies but enough around to still be annoying. It's always a problem in the MR region during the summer months.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

You know what we have just visited the USA and Europe this northern summer. They have flies too!! - and mosquitoes as well

You'd never think so by the fuss that's made about them here!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

touche nozzie - and at least no-one has to worry about dengue or malaria at Margaet River

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Its mostly our Singapore visitors that raise the fly topic. Perhaps because flies are not so common in Singapore.

Perth
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help: Any Flies in December 2nd week In Perth?

Don't panic, hardly any flies now, especially as we're getting a fair bit of rain at the moment. But by December they will definitely be here! You get used to them but down the south coast they have been extra bad last few years as per other posts.