We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Hi all,

We will be visiting Perth in the new year, arriving on Friday night and leaving on Monday afternoon, so not much time there. This will be our first visit to Perth and wondering if anyone can help us with suggestion on where to go.

We will have a car with us so travelling won't be a problem.

We love the beach, snorkelling and diving (is it safe to dive there) but not really into bush walking, museum nor art stuff.

My questions are:

* is there anywhere in Perth that we can go snorkelling or diving?

* should we stay in the CBD area or somewhere in the beach? If so then what beach is the best place to stay?

* should we go to a day trip somewhere? If so then where should we go?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

I would suggest Rottnest Island for the nearest decent diving. Also satisfys the day trip or even over night trip.

Another day trip would be the pinnacles.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 14:16
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Also we have Marmion Marine Park along Perth's coastal suburbs:

tripadvisor.com.au/Guide-g1572375-i20483-Hil…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

I would spend one day in Fremantle ... there is some nice places to stay .. and you can get the ferry from Fremantle to Rottnest .. hire bikes and go snorkelling. Have lunch at the pub overlooking the mainland.

http://www.rottnestisland.com/

fremantlewesternaustralia.com/…

Have a look at the Port Mill B & B ... or the Consulate B & B.in Freo... both centrally located for walking everywhere.

Great restaurants as well, especially on the waterfront at Fisherman's Wharf and along the Café strip.

The Fremantle Prison has tours ... even in boats inside the building. It's a popular tourist attraction.

You could take a cruise by Captain Cook up to Perth and see mansions along the river .. as well as other sights ... with commentary and tea. Get the train back from the Perth Central Station on Wellington Street.

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/

http://www.sorrentoquay.com.au/

Other sights, go for a drive along the coast and visit Cottesloe and Scarborough beaches on the way to Sorrento to visit Sorrento Quay, also known as Hillarys Boat Harbour, and, the Swan Valley is relaly nice too... with lovely wineries, great restaurants - favourites of mine are Sitellas, the Black Swan and the Oasis.

Also the Margaret River Chocolate Factory has free samples, delicious desserts - their brownies are to die for - and a large new building selling products. Most of the above are along West Swan Road, altho Sitellas is on Great Northern Hwy.

http://www.svtours.com.au/

Fingers crossed the weather has improved for you .... we've had rain nearly every day for the past 3 weeks, and it doesn't look like going away. But we can't complain, we need it.

Good luck for your weekend ... you'll have to come back to fit everything in.

Oh and don't forget to go to Kings Park at dusk ... the view is awesome.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Thank you everyone for your suggestion....

I'm thinking of staying in Freemantle now instead of Perth, is that a good idea? Or would I be better off staying in Perth?

So it looks like I should go and visit Rottnest Island, will I need more than one day there?

So many things to fit in such a short time..... :)

Thanks again.... :)

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Freo is great- but I am rather biased! Close to beaches- eg Leighton, Cottesloe and South Beach. Also lovely river side areas close by. Given it will be hot in the new year I would much rather be close to the water than in CBD.

You can get a lot into one day at Rottnest, especially with the longer days when you are here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Great... Thanks JeanPerth...

Anyone can advise a good place to stay? I had a look but didn't find anything yet, but maybe I look at the wrong area.

Is there anywhere we can stay that near the beach but not too far away from restaurants etc too? We are not too worry about night life etc, but want to be able to walk to a restaurant.

Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,799 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

Fremantle would fit that bill- near a beach, lots of restaurants, very walkable. Perhaps if you spell it with one "e" you will find more places to stay, there are heaps of places there. Our favourite is Mole End which is quite close to the beach and a 10-15 min walk into the heart of the cafe strip.

8. Re: Long weekend in Perth - what to do? Advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:21