We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Perth in November

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Perth in November

Dear great people of TA

We will be heading to Perth on Nov 15-22 with a total of 4 adults, 3 kiids (9,10 & 2) in tow

This is our plan and we would appreciate some guidance if this is workable

day 1 Friday - arrival, collect rental MPV and head to hotel in CBD. Relax and walkabout the area

Day 2 - drive to Fremantle for the fish and chips and the markets.

Day 3 - Perth surrounds like Kings Park, Perth Mint, shopping streets (kindly suggest a few). In the evening, where can I have a birds eye view of Perth?

Day 4 - (not confirmed) make Cottesloe accomodation as base for 2 nites (perth accomodation is really a killer on weekdays). Check in and then head to Rockingham to visit penguin island. Return to Cottesloe

day 5 - head to Cervantes, visit lobster farm, sand dunes and on way back, the pinnacles dessert

Day 6 - checkout from Cottesloe and head to swan valley for farm stay

Day 7 - caversham wildlife park, and swan valley foodie and wine trail

Day 8 - checkout and head straight to airport for home.

My questions are,

- is my itinerary reasonable and not too hectic since I have a 2 year old toddler in tow?

- if I were to choose another location other than Cottesloe for my day 4-6, where would be a good choice?

- any suggestions for good must try local food in the locations mentioned? Doesn't have to be fine dining but a locals fav haunt for snacks and mains. Also, in Fremantle, which shop offers the best fish and chips

- where can i get discounted shopping for OZ made stuff in perth (shoes, apparel stuff like that)

- any good suggestions that I can add to my itinerary

Comments are very much appreciated. Thanks and cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

Freo shops concentrated around South Tce, High St, Market St

Enjoy!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

My favourite shops in Freo are the Fremantle Markets, which are open Friday (day & evening) and Weekends. Lots of interesting stalls, including locally made goods. The shops around the markets are also interesting to visit. You can easily catch a train from Perth to Freo and walk to all shops of interest.

Another idea is a day trip to Mandurah (an hour by train from the city) where you can go on a one hour dolphin cruise which is always very popular with tourists. Our favourite place for lunch in Mandurah is Sharkeys where you get fabulous fish & chips, much better than cicerellos which is not great in Mandurah. The foreshore in Mandurah is a nice place to wander around, and there's a good playground for your 2 yr old.

If you are staying in South Perth there are lots of nice restaurants near the ferry terminal.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 10:17
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,045 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

To be honest, I doubt long drives would overstress your toddler as in my experience they tend to fall asleep in fairly short order and so are out of it for most of the trip :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

Since you're staying in the South Perth area and if you have time, a great playground area with a cafe attached to it is Heathcote. This is located in Applecross which is not too far from South Perth. Not sure by what you mean by comfort food but if you are craving Asian food, Imperial Court located in Como has dim sum. Northbridge has good Chinese food and Vietnamese food. However you will find food here expensive. If you are in the area and just after a cheap feed , for Perth anyway, try Chilliz at the Waterford Shopping Centre in Manning which is not that far from Como. They serve roast chicken rice, etc .Also, Taka's Jap in Shafto Lane if you're in the city. My family enjoy pasta at Catalano's in Victoria Park. Use urbanspoon as it is a good guide for eateries. As you mention that your friends are fans of lobster , we find South Ocean Restaurant on South Street one of the better priced places to go to.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

If you like chocolate, I have brought visitors many times to Koko Black in Claremont. In Fremantle , my children love the potato twisters you can buy at the Market and also the churros from Chocolateria San Churro. The churros are made fresh and are warm and dipped into melted chocolate. Better than Barcelona where the churros we encountered were cold!

The Shipwreck Gallery might be of interest to the older kids in Fremantle and entry is by donation. It is located near Cicerellos and other eateries. The Fremantle Maritime Museum is by paid entry.

16. Re: 8 days in Perth in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:16