We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Thanks to all the experts on this board, I've managed to plan a last minute trip for me and our two kids, 6 yrs and 3 yrs, to join my Husband on a business trip! It's our first time to Australia so I'm v excited!

We leave tomorrow and will spend 4 nts at the Rydges CBD as that is where DH has his room booked and paid for by work (we upgraded it to a suite to fit 4 of us)

We will then spend 3 nts next weekend in a holiday rental in Fremantle before driving to Margaret River and staying at Burnside Organic Farm for 3 nts.

We don't yet have accomodation for the final night. We will either stay in MR for a 4th night (flight is Friday afternoon) or drive back to Perth to check out Swan Valley/Caversham Wildlife Park. (Caversham is a must see for the children)

My general plan for me and the kids in Perth includes:

King's Park and Sticky Beaks Cafe

Scitech

Caversham (or maybe wait for Daddy)

Some Beach/waterfront time

Fremantle weekend:

Prison and markets

Cottesloe

Hillary's amd Aquarium of WA

Fish & Chips and general meandering

MR:

Dunsborough Whale Watching

Maze (maybe)

A chocolate factory (maybe)

Leeuwin estate

Augusta and Cape Leeuwin (one full day) - or is this too far from Burnside for a day trip?

I'm not a fan of overscheduling holidays so we'll edit if necessary.

What do you experts think? Have I missed something?

Any tips for car hire companies in Perth who'll have car seats?

Me and the kids will use public transport while staying in CBD and pick up car on the day we move to Fremantle.

We would also like to meet up with some friends (who do not have kids) one evening. Are pubs and restaurants quite child friendly like in the UK?

Thanks all. So excited to get some fresh air and drink some good wine.

Emma

Perth
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Hi Emma, your trip sounds great. Augusta isn't too far from Burnside for a day trip, but I think the kids may enjoy the Maze (there are two, one near Yallingup and one south of MR town, both great and quite different to each other) more than a longish drive? Heaps to see and do down in southwest. Pick up a big black and white map of the region from most tourist attractions and accommodation or visitor centre in Dunsborough or MR. Busselton jetty worth a visit, walk or mini train to the end of it, then underwater Observatory. Beaches from Dunsborough all the way around to Bunker Bay are spectacular, especially Meelup, Eagle Bay area. Take a picnic lunch with you as few shops. Nice restaurants in the area that are child friendly include Eagle Bay Brewery, Bunker Bay cafe, Goanna Gallery, Yallingup Maze, Bootleg Brewery, Duckstein brewery, Lawrence winery. Back in Perth, child friendly restaurants include Sienna's in Leederville, Clancy's Fish Pub at Freo and City Beach, The Shack at Floreat Beach, Salt on the Beach in Freo, have a wonderful trip and if you have questions along the way feel free to post them again!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,811 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Whenever we are in Perth we use Bayswater Car Rentals. I'm sure they provide car seats as required by law.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Agree with everything Hbdg has said. We had a lovely lunch at the Bunkers Bay cafe some months ago and it's right on the beach. In Yallingup (not far out of Dunsborough on Caves Road) you might also want to visit the cave which is impressive and something a bit different. There is a chocolate factory in the Swan Valley near Perth as well as near Margaret River so you could visit whichever one fits best with the itinerary, it's generally VERY popular with kids. Also lots of good vineyards to lunch (and maybe taste wine!) in the Swan Valley. It will be too cold to swim at the beach at the moment in either Perth or Margaret River although still pretty. Hope you all enjoy!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Hbdg and Setenaj has covered alot of things to do, and I totally agree with them. I would also add to your itinerary the Busselton Jetty train and underwater observatory, which the kids and parents would love.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Thanks all! Great suggestions. Must write them down....

We arrived last night and had a walk around CBD. Found Mad Mex near our hotel and grabbed burritos for dinner which were good.

Today the Husband is at work so me and the kids are checking out the Awesome Arts Festival. Very happy to be here!

Perth
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Have a great time! If the Awesome Arts activities are full or if you've finished seeing them all, the WA Museum is right next door and is great for kids. The Art Gallery of WA is great too, special exhibition on at the moment from Museum of Modern Art in NY. Enjoy

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

First impressions of Perth: really friendly and helpful people, CAT bus drivers, bank workers, shop keepers, knowledgeable tourist info, strangers wanting to help me with the buggy down steps etc.

The Awesome Arts festival felt like the Edinburgh Fringe for kids. Really creative. We loved the activities andthe show, Whales's Tale, we saw. Had lunch at the museum cafe and spend a couple of hours in the museum. The discovery centre was fab for my small children.

Didn't make the Art Gallery but I may drag them back there with the promise of a repeat playground visit. Maybe small but they had lots of fun both on the way in and out.

Had dinner at the hotel (Rydges) which far surpassed our expectations. We were sat next to the kitchen and could hear that the chef runs a very tight ship! Our 6 yr old complimented the pizza chef after I explained to him how most people only complain in restaurants and rarely say thank you :)

King's Park and Sticky Beak's tomorrow. So glad we made this trip!

Only minor downside is that we don't seem to have many dinner options close to the hotel. (I don't want to see a bowl of rice during this holiday but apparently there is a decent Chinese place)We're only here till Friday though so it's fine...

Oh, and Perth really is as expensive as I've heard!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

There are some lovely small bars not far from you at the Rydges... down King Street and into Wolf Lane or the opposite direction down King Street to Brookfield Place off St George's Terrace. Some of these small bars have wonderful food and tapas.

Many of the restaurants are in the Northbridge area, which is not too far away from you - just on the opposite side of the train line. You will find most cuisines in this area. Week nights are probably better to go out, unless you want to have a night on the town, as this is the nightlife area, especially on weekends.

You can also head into West Perth for some more (higher priced) food options.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Thanks Jen G. I saw some of those bars today but we have a 3 yr old and 6 yr old with us. They eat anything and are very well behaved in restaurants but I'm not sure what the protocol is here with kids?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Some small bars will allow children however their entry is dependent on the bar's own rules and regulations. To make it easier, you are probably worth going into Northbridge or even catch the ferry over to South Perth as there are some lovely restaurants and cafes there.

You can also head further up Hay Street toward the west of the city, where you will find a few restaurants down Shafto Lane and also toward the corner of Milligan Street.