We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spontaneous trip to WA :)

Thanks to all the experts on this board, I've managed to plan a last minute trip for me and our two kids, 6 yrs and 3 yrs, to join my Husband on a business trip! It's our first time to Australia so I'm v excited!

We leave tomorrow and will spend 4 nts at the Rydges CBD as that is where DH has his room booked and paid for by work (we upgraded it to a suite to fit 4 of us)

We will then spend 3 nts next weekend in a holiday rental in Fremantle before driving to Margaret River and staying at Burnside Organic Farm for 3 nts.

We don't yet have accomodation for the final night. We will either stay in MR for a 4th night (flight is Friday afternoon) or drive back to Perth to check out Swan Valley/Caversham Wildlife Park. (Caversham is a must see for the children)

My general plan for me and the kids in Perth includes:

King's Park and Sticky Beaks Cafe

Scitech

Caversham (or maybe wait for Daddy)

Some Beach/waterfront time

Fremantle weekend:

Prison and markets

Cottesloe

Hillary's amd Aquarium of WA

Fish & Chips and general meandering

MR:

Dunsborough Whale Watching

Maze (maybe)

A chocolate factory (maybe)

Leeuwin estate

Augusta and Cape Leeuwin (one full day) - or is this too far from Burnside for a day trip?

I'm not a fan of overscheduling holidays so we'll edit if necessary.

What do you experts think? Have I missed something?

Any tips for car hire companies in Perth who'll have car seats?

Me and the kids will use public transport while staying in CBD and pick up car on the day we move to Fremantle.

We would also like to meet up with some friends (who do not have kids) one evening. Are pubs and restaurants quite child friendly like in the UK?

Thanks all. So excited to get some fresh air and drink some good wine.

Emma

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

From memory the licencing rule is that children are permitted in licenced premises if accompanied by their parents and only for as long as it takes to have "reasonable refreshment" (so presumably eat a meal but not hang around for hours). They are not permitted at the actual bar, but need to stay in areas away from the counter where the alcohol is served.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

You're absolutely right, York Foodie... this is as written in the Liquor Licencing Act. There are however some bars that do stipulate only 18 years and over.

It's a bit hit and miss.

I would suggest somewhere like Print Hall, the Stables, and the Aviary should be for children. And the food selection is great there too!

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

The Print Hall on George's Tce? I think we just walked past it. That would be really convenient. We've been in King's Park for 6 hours today so won't be walking much tonight!

Thanks again.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

The Pancake restaurant in the Carillion Mall on Hay St is popular with kids (right next to the ABC shop a good spot to visit for kids books, DVDs and toys if you are interested).

Also when you are in Dunsborough don't miss out on visiting Simmos Ice Creamery, yummy ice cream and a great park and playground for the kids, free entry if you buy an ice cream!

15. Re: Spontaneous trip to WA :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:17