We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Balestier, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Hi,

My family of 4 adults plan to travel around Perth to Albany from mid November to early December, 2013. What is the best value for money (not the cheapest!) and reliable campervan company to rent the 4-berth motorhome (with shower)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheerio!

Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
272 Reviews
from US$66.00*
US$132.00
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
124 Reviews
from US$98.00*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
145 Reviews
from US$134.30*
US$167.90
Special Offer
Margaret River Wines, Mammoth Cave...
125 Reviews
from US$134.30*
US$167.90
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Check websites for the bigger names like Britz.

Do you really want to be sharing a tiny pokey little shower with 3 other people ? where will you be travelling to other than Albany (bearing in mind you need to be booking into caravan parks in order to connect to power and water - and they have shower facilities anyway).

A normal car would be much easier and then just stay in motels or the chalets at caravan parks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Agree with PP that a motorhome is not the best (or cheapest) option for touring the southwest.

Motorhomes use more fuel, are slower and more tricky to drive and park.

Often for less cost you can rent a car and stay in on-site caravans (the cheapest option but you have to use the communal shower/toilet facilities) or chalets (cost-effective, more space and self-contained bathrooms).

Plus if you want to go into town in the evening, the car is a lot easier to get out of the caravan park (where you _have_ to stay as free camping is illegal) than the motorhome you have to disconnect then reconnect when you get back.

High Wycombe...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Very interesting as we are coming out to Perth next March and we were going to pick up a Motorhome for two weeks to travel North and South of Perth so might be better to rent a car. The only problem I could see with using a rental car is would the cost of staying in a caravan/chalet/motel plus having to eat out every day be more expensive in the long run.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

As I said, motorhomes here are expensive, and you also have to stay in caravan parks so there's that fee as well. Do the sums for yourself :-)

You can self-cater in a caravan or a chalet. When my family was young this is how we holidayed and it was very cost-effective.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Re motorhome rentals - you may also not like the cost of the Bond for the Motorhome. It appears the major players charge around $7,500 and they DO debit a CC for the amount, not just place a "hold". If your CC won't cover, they require a Banker's Draft.

Motorhomes parked in tourist carparks are also magnets for opportunistic thieves.

Go with the hire car & self contained accommodation option.

Bayswater Hire Cars is the most often recommended.

Perth
Level Contributor
542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

I just googled a couple of places for you. A Britz campervan would cost between $792 - $1272 per week plus $35 per night caravan park fees plus extra fuel. Last weekend I stayed in a cabin on a caravan park for $70 per night - very comfortable with TV, air con, WIFI and kitchen with every amenity, and ablutions block opposite. (Ensuite cabins were $105). I checked Bayswater Hire Cars and they have cars for $31 per day with unlimited kilometers.. You would have the advantage of the use of the car while in the park plus use less fuel.

We did the car/cabins system some years ago in NZ and it worked out cheaper and more comfortable than we would have been in a campervan.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

The OP had four adults, so cost wise, the motorhome is a viable option

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Might be viable, but assuming an ensuite cabin (which generally sleeps four and has a lot more space and a better bathroom than a motorhome) at the prices Nanna quoted, it's over $500 cheaper for a week, which personally I'd rather spend on good food and wine :-D

Balestier, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the information. I agree that a motorhome is more expensive than car. However, my family wants to experience the fun of staying in a 4-person motorhome or campervan for 2 weeks. We stayed in a 4-berth Kea campervan in New Zealand and it was very memorable. However, in Perth Kea campervan is the most expensive. E.g. For 15-day 4 berth campervan with Liability Reduction 2 insurance (at about $A45 per day) with toilet & shower, the following are the costs quoted by various companies

a) Kea 4KQ is A$5,685.

b) Maui Platinum Beach is A$4,417.

c) AAH Birdsville is A$4,260.

d) Britz Explorer is A$2,535.

e) Apollo Cheepa is A$2,518.

f) Mighty Double Hp is A$2,319.

My questions are :

1) Which is the best value for money company to rent the campervan?

2) Why is there such huge difference in price?

3) Is it necessary to purchase the 'Single Vehicle Rollover Cover'?

Thanks again in advance.

Cheerio!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Reliable Motorhome In Perth

Have you considered doing a keyword search of each company name here on TA and also google ? Reading the reviews (and more commonly - the complaints) will give you a better idea of what you are considering. For example - a search for Apollo will bring up some very current results.