We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best stopover Toronto to Perth

Milton, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Best stopover Toronto to Perth

Coming to Perth Oct 2014. Looking for way to break trip. Did it direct Toronto-HK.connect-Perth last time without leaving airport. Very painful. Need better route for next trip with restful place to break trip. All help appreciated

Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
272 Reviews
from US$66.00*
US$132.00
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
124 Reviews
from US$98.00*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
145 Reviews
from US$134.30*
US$167.90
Special Offer
Margaret River Wines, Mammoth Cave...
125 Reviews
from US$134.30*
US$167.90
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

I always appreciate my break in Singapore when I fly from the US to Perth, but it comes late into the trip, as the last leg is only five hours long. I love the Transit Hotel in Changi though, great place to rest up w/o having to leave the airport - you can get a massage, watch a movie, see the butterflies, lots to do right in Changi Airport. If you want a real break, easy enough to leave the airport on a day tour of the city or just spend a few days in Singapore. There's luggage storage at the airport, both airside and landside.

Milton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

Many thanks for the input! Hoping I also hear peoples impressions of going via Bangkok, Hawaii and NZ.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

You might also consider Tahiti. Air Tahiti Nui sometimes has specials.

Milton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

Many thanks Kathy, Love Portland and flying via wet coast is definitely an option, I will research it!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

I hadn't considered NZ, but there are direct flights from Auckland to Perth on Air NZ, the flight is 6-7 hours long coming from that direction, so it's be late in your trip as well, but certainly doable.

The problem with NZ (if you can call it a problem) is that the South Island alone is worth many weeks of exploration, so for me anyway, it'd be a difficult place to 'stopover'. It'd be a whole separate vacation!

Having said that, I did stopover in Auckland once on a flight from the US to Perth. No transit hotels there, so you have to take a shuttle to get to an airport hotel - in my case for a day room. I found the whole process disruptive and not in the least bit restful.

I guess it comes down to what exactly you mean by stopover - how long do you plan to stop?

Edited: 27 October 2013, 23:18
Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

If your stop-over is for a few days, for something totally different fly via Europe, e.g. London, Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt. Or continue to Dubai.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Milton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

The stopover time period is just to break the flight into manageable portions so we are not shattered when we get to Perth, although I'm not adverse to a few days stay either. We will go to NZ to hike after the wedding and look forward to that. We loved our first trip to Perth and now that our son is marrying an Aussie we know there will be more, so I'm open to all sorts of routings.

8. Re: Best stopover Toronto to Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:21