We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I (both 33) are spending nearly 4 weeks in Australia this December/January and I've made a rough itinerary for our time in Perth and wanted your thoughts on it!

We want to see as much as we can, but without killing ourselves! lol Neither of us are great at mornings, so we're going to find it hard getting up every day to do all our trips, but I'm sure it will be worth it! We have already booked our flights and hotel so that part can't change. We are staying at the Cottesloe Beach Hotel for our stay. (I know a hotel in the CBD would probably have made more sense but we really wanted to be near the beach for the last part of our Oz trip!)

We arrive in Perth on Saturday 11th January 2014 (landing at 15:40pm). I'm guessing by the time we get out of the airport and to our hotel in Cottesloe we'll just want to have dinner and sleep!

Sunday 12th - Speed Grazing trip with Taste Bud Tours. Pick up 8.15am from the Tourist Coach Stand near Perth Train Station which finishes around 1pm. We would then hire bikes in Swan Valley and try to do a cycle route for the afternoon, or as long as we can manage!

Monday 13th - A relaxed breakfast/brunch then get the train to Fremantle for the day (I haven't made any specific plans for this day yet, but just something simple).

Tuesday 14th - 7am-7pm Margaret River Wine Tour (with Out and About Wine Tours). We really wanted to get down to Margaret River and without driving ourselves this seemed the easiest way to get a taste of the area (driving also makes it impossible to drink the wine!). If this really seems crazy we could replace with with a Swan Valley Wine Tour.

Wednesday 15th - Pinnacles (thinking of hiring a car for one day but haven't looked into this yet).

Thursday 16th - A relaxed day in Cottesloe. Enjoy breakfast, followed by a bit of time at the beach, and I think I read a bit about a few nice walks around the area.

Friday 17th - Catch the 7.15am ferry to Rottnest Island from Fremantle. We will get some breakfast at Rottnest, hire bikes and see as much as possible (bays, wildlife, views), bit of swimming, lots of photos. We hope to book the 19.10pm ferry back. Is this too much time on Rottnest or is it an easy to fill day? We are happy to sit and relax for a while so it's not all rush, rush, rush! This is our last night in Perth so we would like a nice dinner, either once off the ferry in Fremantle, or back in Cottesloe. It depends how rough the crossing is really!

Saturday we fly to Singapore to head home to the UK.

Any thoughts are gratefully received!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
The Cottesloe Beach Hotel
The Cottesloe Beach Hotel
179 Reviews
Cottesloe, Australia
Taste Bud Tours
Taste Bud Tours
595 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

I loved the Pinnacles - one of the most unique natural wonders I've ever seen. I went in June though:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

I agree with all of the comments made thus far, apart from a couple of points.

This time of year, the Swan Valley will be very hot and dry, and therefore I would suggest driving to the South West beaches... Ie Dunsborough or Yallingup (you need to book now!) which is a 3hr drive away and stay overnight, forgetting about the Swan Valley. Here there is a lot more to see than the Swan Valley and it will be much cooler. Dunsborough and Yallingup are easily accessible to the Margaret River area. In my opinion, the Swan Valley would not be very pleasant this time of year.

I would also suggest staying in the city and making your way to Fremantle for a day trip. From the city you can get anywhere and it is much closer to the airport for when you need to fly out. The city has a lot of life on the weekends these days. Make sure to go to Fremantle for a Sunday brekkie and see the markets, prisons, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Dunsborough
Dunsborough
Yallingup
Yallingup
Margaret River
Margaret River
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

OzJJ many of your points have been responded to by the OP in #17- accommodation has been paid for in Cottesloe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
390 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

Hi again. I know how frustrating it can be to juggle things around but if you can wangle it - might be worth visiting Rottnest Island on Tues 14th Jan. They have a special called Telethon Tuesdays where you can get return ferry for $39 or with bike hire included for $59 ea. The block out dates are 17 Dec - 13 Jan (!!).

rottnestexpress.com.au/Deals/…

Anyway, thought that info might help someone. It was the only way we could justify/afford Rotto!

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately I didn't read the last few until yesterday as I didn't get an email telling me anyone else had replied! Gutted to have missed outbound the cheap rottnest tickets!!

We are in Cott now, after arriving yesterday afternoon. Here's to a relaxing final week in Perth!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

So....are you enjoying our mild summer days ?!!

;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

Haha at the moment yes as we are relaxing on our balcony! 30 something would be lovely, but never mind. This is the first sun we've seen all month as its been quite cloudy in Sydney and on KI so I won't complain lol

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

Chezzyr,

You're a star! We went to Rottnest today with the cheap tickets! I managed to book them on my phone last night. Thanks so much for the heads up on the deal! My legs are aching from all the cycling. Great fun!

29. Re: Thoughts on our Perth itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17