We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental & Parking

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental & Parking

Hi

We are a family of 3 adults and 4 kids aged 6 to 12 years old. We will be travelling to Perth for holidays from 29 Nov (Fri) to 5 Dec 2013. We have booked a 7-seater car from Bayswater which offers two pick-up/drop-off points - one is at the CBD near our hotel and the other is located 3km from the airport at Guildford Road. I have a dilemma here. If we pick up & drop off the car in the CBD, we have to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel/CBD which will cost us extra money. On the other hand, If we pick-up & drop off the car near the airport, we will still need to get a taxi for the 3km journey to pick up the car and drive to the hotel. I'd appreciate any advice on the following:

a) is it easy to get a maxi cab for 7 passengers from and to the airport and how much it will cost for a trip between airport and CBD for a maxi cab?

b) on the departure day, we plan to drop off the kids and an adult at the airport first and my husband and I drive to the the Bayswater office (which is 3km away from the airport) to return the car, and get a normal-size taxi to the airport as we are concerned that it would not be easy to flag a max cab at the suburb. Would it be easy to get a normal-size taxi from the suburb at Guidford Road? and how much would be the taxi fare to airport?

c) we tried to book a car parking bay online at the Wilson parking at King's Complex at Hay Street as this would be much cheaper than the parking at the hotel, but we couldn't do so as the online booking requires the car plate number which we would not know until we pick up the car on arrival. Is there any way of getting around this problem?

Thank you very much for your advice in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental & Parking

A) Around $60 for a maxi taxi. The Taxi Line controller at the Airport will ensure a maxi for you but be prepared to perhaps wait a while - or not - just depends on the day.

B) Around $30 for a standard cab (4 persons) from Bayswater Cars to Perth International Airport. $46 for a maxi cab. Your plan to reduce numbers is better as the number of maxis on the road are limited. The Rental Co will probably ring for one for you if necessary.

C) You could ring the car hire company and ask for a licence plate number up front - they may or may not be able to help. Can you change the plate number after you have advised it on line? If so, any plate number would do...

NB: Taxi Fares vary due to day of the week, time of day and size of vehicle. I used mid day Friday.

swantaxis.com.au/members/fare_estimator.php

Edited: 20 November 2013, 23:16
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental & Parking

Have you considered picking up and dropping off a vehicle directly at the Perth Airport? I appreciate that it will be more expensive, but once you factor in taxis to/from the rental depots off airport, it might be more cost effective and efficient in the long run - it's worth looking into anyway.

perthairport.com.au/ToTheAirport/CarRental.a…

Does you accommodation offer parking?

Edited: 21 November 2013, 00:06
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental & Parking

Many thanks for the replies.

I booked the car via Bayswater online and i dont see any option to pick up and return the car at the airport. We will be staying in a hotel in the CBD and the hotel charges a very high parking fee if $32 per night. That's why im looking for a cheaper option at the nearby public parking at Kings Complex. Will try to see if i can obtain the car number in advance.

My fight will land at 4:20pm at T1. By the time we go through immigration, i guess it will be 5+pm. Is this the peak hours for taxi at the airport and what is the normal waiting time at this hour?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental & Parking

I was referring to other car rental agencies - I realize Bayswater doesn't have airport pick up, but some of the majors do. The link I posted lists them.

The last time I was at the airport around 5 pm, I was told by an airline agent that it's the slowest time all day. Getting a taxi shouldn't be a problem though, as there's always some out front.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 04:45
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental & Parking

$32 is pretty standard.

There is no option to pick up or collect a Bayswater rental from the Airport/s. Melnq8 was alluding to actually hiring from an Airport hire firm - such as Avis or Hertz to avoid the taxi shuffle.

With a flight landing at 4.20pm, you may or may not be out of Customs et al in around 60 minutes so I would be thinking closer to 5.30pm+ The wait for a taxi will depend on the number of flights landing at the time and the number of cabs available. That time is actually close to the popular time for cab driver shift change and also for people who take cabs to/from home or out for the evening (Being a Friday night this is more likely). People I know who have waited for a taxi have waited varying times. You will just have to queue and bear it! Could be 15 minutes, could be over an hour...

Otherwise do a comparison for cost on the Avis or similar web site for Airport hire. I have hired a number of times from Avis Perth and no issues.

Do you actually need a car for the whole time you are here?

6. Re: Car Rental & Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16