We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climate advice and itinirary

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Climate advice and itinirary

hi guys,

In a couple of days we would like to book our campervan.

We were thinking to spend 3 weeks in the south-west of Western Australia. Perth-Albany-Esperance-Perth.

I guess it is sufficient time?

When should we visit? 7 to 28 april 2014 or the end of june to mid july??

We could do it before or after our trip from Perth to Darwin since we are flying to and from Perh back to Asia.

What do you recommend climate wise?

And also other ideas about doing it before or after Perth-Darwin

The other part of our trip is from 1 may to 23 june, by 4wd campervan.

We would like to go from Perth via Broome to Kununnara. On the Gibb River road and going down a bit to Bungle Bungle NP. Via Bungle Bungle NP we would like to go via the Tanami track to Alice Springs and so on up to Kakadu and Darwin.

We have 54 days or 7.5 weeks for that leg of the trip.

What is your idea??

Thanks in advance

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

April would be a nicer time of year as June-July is winter and in the southwest it will be cold and wet if we're lucky. However April includes Easter, which is one of the peak holiday times.

A campervan is not much of an advantage in the southwest as free camping is not permitted so you would need to stay in caravan parks. Often the cost of campervan hire plus caravan park costs plus fuel works out more expensive than the cost of hiring an inexpensive car (check out Bayswater Car Rentals) and the cost of staying in chalets or on-site caravans in the same caravan parks. Other advantages of a car are that with a chalet you have more room, a car is easier to drive and park and you can just pop into town at a moment's notice to go to the shops or a pub or restaurant etc.

Whatever you drive, if coming in April you should book your vehicle and at least your Easter accommodation asap.

I can't help you with the north part of your trip; hopefully someone else will advise on this.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

thanks for the accomodation tip. Didnt realise that. Might check car+chalets and campervan + cheap camping options.

I guess we will visit in april then.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

I would suggest posting your second question re NW & NT trip on the Road Trip forum (after seeing if it has already been addressed).

Agree 100% with YF re April and hiring a car v motorhome. 3 weeks will be a lovely length of time.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

i have been thinking about the car vs camper but since we rent a cheapa it will cost us 1033 aud or 682 euro for the 3 weeks;

We cannot really afford being without our own food/gas stove to cook since we cannot go out and have lunch/diner all the time :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

Check out YHA hostels. Most now have private rooms and all offer kitchens. Over the years I've stayed in Dunsborough, Margaret River, Pemberton, Augusta and Bunbury. They're not fancy but are always clean and often offer discounts or free bikes/surfboards/breakfast and what have you. I have no hesitation in recommending them to travellers of all ages.

https:/…

Do the sums and if this suits you book now as the private rooms go quickly.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

If I were you, I would do it in April at the latest! After April, it will get cold and you'll be more likely to have a lot of rain!

3 weeks is plenty to do Perth-Albany-Esperance-Perth. Even though, this area is not considered the South West of WA.

The South West in more like Bunbury-Busselton-Margaret River-Augusta.

You could do the whole lot in 3 weeks.

Might be a bit rushed but doable!

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

hi Jeffy,

would you mind to give us some names of cities, places to visit between Perth-Perth. So i can look up on the internet and lonelyplanet guide for more info.

If i compare the 3 weeks by van we have from Perth to Perth, only on asphalted - bitumen road then i thinks its 'a lot' compared to the 7.5 weeks we have from Perth to Darwin by 4x4.

Can you give us some advice on the first leg of our trip. From +- 7 april till 22 april. (Perth-Perth)

We could also substract some days and start renting the van a couple of days, to a week later. :-) Or not.

Depending on what there is to see do.

We love sightseeing, we really like nature, we also like walks.

Which Nat. Parks are recommended the first lig of our trip?

Thanks for thinking along with me.

Greetings Ellen

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

Zaratoestra, I suggest you look up your own "cities" (few of the towns in the southwest are that big) at this site here:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

or read the Lonely Planet guide yourself. To map locations, distances and driving times, you could use www.whereis.com as I find it more accurate for WA than Google Maps.

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

To give you some ideas for the northern sector of the trip-

From Perth north:

New Norcia

Kalbarri

Monkey Mia

Exmouth/ Coral Bay

Karainji National park

Milstream national park

Cossack - if you have time visit the rock art (petroglyphs) at the Burrup peninsula near Karratha- biggest petroglyph site in the world,

80 mile caravan park or

Port smith national park depending on how long you want to drive

Broome

Derby

To get an idea for the Gibb river road visit gibbriverroad.net - great website with lots of different itineraries.

Kununurra

Bungles (Purnululu national park)- give yourself a couple of days as it's a very slow drive into the park. Go on a helicopter ride if you can afford it.

Tanami road

Wolfe creek

Lake stretch or Lake Gregory near Bililuna

I can't help with the Northern Territory side.

With the Tanami track- check with your car insurance if they will actually let you take the car on that road- some companies won't. You will also need a satellite phone for the that section- generally there's enough traffic in the Gibb river road and the Bungles road if you get in trouble but the Tanami is very remote. Make sure you have 2 spare tyres, a puncture kit, additional fuel on the campervan and all emergency equipment.

The distance you're traveling for the north is massive but hopefully the above will give you some ideas. I presume you'll be flying back to Perth from Darwin. It may be a bit hot in May but it's a great time to travel as there's usually plenty of water in the gorges and not as busy as July/ August. Cheers,

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Climate advice and itinirary

hi all,

first of all i want to thank you for your help.

I have a very good feeling about the second leg of our trip...Perth-Broome - Gibb River Road - Bungle Bungle - Tanami Road - Alice Springs - Uluru - Kakadu NP - Darwin

Of course we will do some stops along the way :-)

7.5 weeks for that. Which we had more, but we dont really have the money to rent the 4wd for a longer period.

The first leg of our trip i feel a bit insecure about it. Nature seems less 'grand' then the second leg of the trip. Also more devellopped. We were thinking of spending 3 weeks Perth-Perth.

But i dont really know - have mixed feelings about it.

Can you share your thoughts with me?

Greetings Ellen