We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Hi guys, really need ur expertise in my Perth trip

Accommodation is fixed for 7 days at Mayland . Walking distance 900 m to Mayland stn .with my hubby and 4 yrs old toddler n my 10 yrs boy

Need advice on whether to take car rental for first 3 days as well ..

Day 1 fri - arrived Perth around 6 pm . Chk in apartment .

Day 2 sat - explore Perth city , king park n botanic garden .

Day 3 Sunday- Fremantle , mint n prison n market .

Day 4 Monday - take car rental , drive to Caversham Wildlife Park .

Day 5 Tuesday - Swan valley .- wine / chocolate and cheese factory (would it be better on tour or driving ? As i read that for wine tasting is included in tour, If self visit will the owner allow wine tasting as wel?)

Day 6 Wednesday - drive down to nearby orchard for fruit picking / pinnacle .(not yet decide )

Day 7 thurs - check out harbor town factory outlet n evening flight back.

Not really sure missing out any interesting place .. All suggestion welcome

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

I would think a car would be unnecessary for your Days 1-3.

Some wineries do wine tastings but in a rental car I'd suggest the driver not indulge just in case. Have you organised a child seat for your four year old?

Why you would visit Harbortown is beyond me but even a dedicated shopper could not spend all day there. Consider visiting AQWA at Hillarys; the kiddies will love it.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Agree with Yorkfoodie-skip shopping and go to lovely spots like Hillarys. Kids also enjoy the river foreshore- eg Matilda Bay or Peppermint Grove. Many of these have playgrounds, so take a picnic and enjoy the surrounds. Don't forget to check out the excellent playgrounds in Kings Park.

Have you details on fruit picking? There's been discussion on this forum about orchard visits as not much opportunity to do this due to insurance issues.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Maybe your Day 4 could be Caversham early in the morning then drive down to AQWA/Hillarys for lunch and the aquarium in the afternoon. Easy to spend all afternoon there as there is a good protected beach (no waves) for kids wading/swimming and then stay on for dinner if it suits.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

For your day 3 you have included the Perth Mint? This does not really fit in with your other plans for the day in Fremantle, as the Mint is right in the middle of Perth city in Hay Street, but is still worth a visit of at least an hour, maybe two if you want to watch the gold pour demonstration.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255103…

I agree with the others that Harbourtown is not something special that I would put on my "must do" list for a holiday, unless you have had a strong recommendation from some friends. I would use the time to do something more interesting, like the suggestion of a visit to Hillarys marina - there you will find not only a wide range of shops, restaurants, cafes, protected beach, but also grassy areas, water slide, playgrounds - a great place to go for kids and adults (lots of locals even go there!)

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g157237…

Edited: 18 February 2014, 03:14
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Hi all,

Thank for the advise.

Will be taking baywater car rental for 17-20 with GPS n booster seat for my little one.

Shopping in harbour town is not a must but would be nice to incorporate in maybe day 2 . Guess my hubby would love to visit the sport stores there .

Got abit mixed up on the Perth Mint with Fremantle..:) will put it into day 2 as well.

As for AQWA- it kinda of similar to what we have in singapore the river safari /sea aquarium .but not really sure..anyone could advise me in that ..?

Would combine caversham with Hillary

Are there any nearby fruit orchard beside Donny brooks . Found one spring valley guess do allow fruit picking ( have to double cfm) but its almost 3 hrs from Perth . ..it's so far away .

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

AQWA is not quite as full on as the Singapore aquarium but it has WA's unique sea creatures and also an interactive touch pool where you can touch some sea things.

As to fruit, much depends on exactly when you are coming, if the fruit isn't in season no point in going. In warmer weather you can pick strawberries within an hour of Perth.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Am coming next mth 14-20 march. Shld be apple harvesting season. Have emailed to spring valley and awaiting their reply . ..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

Spring valley replied that its not the season for apple picking yet..

Am left with day 6 and 7 empty..

Is Amaradale and pinnacle feasible ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

The Pinnacles near Cervantes (population 500) is feasible as a day trip - its a reasonably long drive of about 200 ks/2 hours all on sealed roads from Perth. Cervantes is a small coastal fishing town, not a large city so there is not that much else to do - there is a marina at Jurien Bay (population 1500) only about 20 minutes further north. Just make sure you allow enough time to travel back in daylight.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g2007673-Activit…

Cohunu Koala Park in Byford, about 1 hr east of Perth is also popular with overseas visitors.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g248656…

Edited: 05 March 2014, 03:55
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days in Perth n whether to take car rental

If you were going to visit Cohunu, you could also visit Mundaring Weir, which is interesting. Just be careful driving around the weir as it gets towards dusk, as the kangaroos come out then.

If you absolutely want to pick fruit, check out the strawberry farms in Wanneroo to the north of Perth.