We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Hi all!

Will be heading to Perth for the first time with my friends (9 of us in total) for 6D5N during the first week of Aug 2014, would appreciate recommendations on accommodation and places to visit!

The thing is - We only have ONE driver amongst so I think it will be pretty impossible for us to drive around...?

We are considering service apartments but will have to split into 2 apartments cos I don't think one apartment can fit 9 of us.

We were thinking of spending a night or two out of the city actually, cos we heard there's nothing much to do in the city...

Places we have on our list so far:

King's Park

Fremantle Market

Fremantle Prison

Cottesloe beach

Should we take up a one/two day tour to eg. Margaret river, Cape Leeuwin lighthouse & Busselton Jetty?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

In August I think I'd give Busselton Jetty a miss: I would think the winter weather would churn up the sea around there and make it hard to see anything. Bring warm clothes and rain gear as it may well be cold and wet.

You could hire a people mover to get around in.

Margaret River is at least an overnight trip and better two or more nights IMO.

Why don't you have a look over at the right of the screen for ideas of what to do and see in Perth? There's actually quite a lot. You could also look at the official WA Tourism website at:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
10 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Rottnest Island is a great place to visit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

I think you will find plenty of things to do in Perth, like Kings Park and the Perth Mint:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g2650698-Acti…

There are also lots of interesting places in Fremantle, like the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour:and the Fremantle Markets on the weekends:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g285726-Activ…

Since you are coming in August (winter here) when it's quite likely to be wet and cold, I would not recommend a visit to Rottnest unless the weather just happens to be sunny and not windy on the day, otherwise you probably won't enjoy it at all. The ferry tickets are usually cheaper on a Tuesday.

I would recommend that if you want to go to the Margaret River region, you should plan to stay a minimum of 3 nights - there is so much to see and do in the area and it takes at least 3 hours to drive there. The visitor centre there is very helpful and has free maps that are very useful:

margaretriver.com/margaret-river-visitor-cen…

As a suggestion for cost effective accommodation, you could consider renting 2 onsite cabins in caravan parks in the Margaret River area. A two bedroom cabin may typically each accommodate 4 to 6 people, for example:

…big4.com.au/…overview.aspx

You would need to book early to ensure you could book 2 cabins like this at the same time.

Here is a link to one of many Perth car rental sites with a people mover vehicle:

burswoodcarrentals.net.au/car-rental/…

One like this will seat 8 people legally.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 23:59
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Another vote for Rottenest Island.

This link may also assist you regarding what to do in Perth.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18830-Trip_…

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Hi, regarding the people mover car, you said that it would fit 8 people legally. Would we be able to squeeze one more person in.....? Heard the road laws are quite strict over there. Because we have 9 of us including the driver :/ thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

No, the 8 seats include the driver. There is no way to squeeze in another person, and the road rules require all passengers to be seated properly with a seatbelt. There are hefty fines (I think $500 ) for not complying. Also have you thought about your luggage? That certainly won't fit even with only 8 people.

However transport of some kind is required in Margaret River as the wineries and other attractions are not in walking distance of the town but rather spread our over quite a large region.

You could take the .TransWA bus to MR and take day tours but with such a large group I'd contact tour companies and try to negotiate a group rate.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 03:30
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Ignore that link to Trans WA (I couldn't edit my post to remove it.) Much of the information is incorrect and actually refers to Trans Perth

Trans WA runs country buses and what few trains there are http://www.transwa.wa.gov.au/

Trans Perth runs the city & suburban bus and train lines and the South Perth ferry. http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

You can hire and drive a Toyota Commuter Bus from this firm:

myareecarhire.com.au/vehicles/…

It seats 14 so there would be luggage room.

Note- I've not dealt with them personally.

This would make a trip to the south west much more convenient as you could come and go at your leisure and get around the district more easily.

Use public transport in the city.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 04:36
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

Having a vehicle would make your holiday a lots easier to organise getting the 9 of you to and from your choices of destinations outside the city.

If you think you might like to book one of these commuter buses, it would be a good idea to check whether your driver's licence meets the car hire company's requirements, well ahead of arriving. I would suggest you email them just to be sure.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 06:20
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed for Perth itinerary!

On the link I posted it says:

"Driver restrictions:

Driver’s must be between the ages of 25-75 years and possess a valid driver’s license.

Drivers on probation are strictly prohibited.

LR class drivers license required for more than 12 people."

So if the driver is over 25 with a non-probationary licence I would think they'd be good to go, though possibly an email to see if they rent to foreign licence holders would be a belt and braces exercise. If the driver's licence is not in English an International Driver's Permit (an official attestation in a number of different languages that the holder is the possessor of a valid driver's licence) might be in order.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 06:57