We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Hi all

My flight will touch down at the international airport at 5.30pm and by the time we cleared the customs, it will be 6.30pm. We have booked our accommodation at Fremantle. Would it be too dark to drive by then? Is it going to be country road or highway?

Thanks in advance

Please advise.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Sorry that I forgot to mention that I will arrive on 12 June 2014

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Sunset in Perth on 12/Jun will 5:19p, so it will be night by 6:30p. The road from the airport to Fremantle is a highway, so driving at night shouldn't be a problem.

If you are worried about the drive, why not research it using Google Street View? Taking a GPS might be wise, as well.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Although it will be dark it is a very easy drive. I always use Leach Highway from the airport to Fremantle. It's well lit 2 lanes. At that time of night it should take you around 45 minutes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Thanks a lot

I feel more assured now.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

You're just driving through the suburbs. Fremantle is a part of the greater Perth conurbation. There are street lights, there are not kangaroos.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Re using Leach Highway. Under normal circumstances, I would agree with Jean. However, there are significant roadworks around the Abernathy Road Kewdale intersection on LH plus also on the Tonkin/Leach intersections. There are many detours in place at night and signficant delays at other times. These will continue until mid 2015.

As someone who has to visit the international airport regularly these days, I no longer contemplate using Leach Hwy. You may wish to consider the Roe Highway/Kwinana Fwy/Leach Hwy or South Street option to Fremantle. Use google maps to map your route.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

Thanks all

U guys have been very helpful

8. Re: Driving from perth airport to Fremantle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:21