We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Hi, we are travelling with our 5 yr old son to Perth and Margaret River from 12 to 19 April. Here are my plans so far. Pls help to advise the feasibility and provide more inputs.

Day 1 arrival at perth airport 330pm. I give 2 hrs for custom clearance. Book a car with Avis at airport. Drive to Fremantle and check in to the cottage i booked. Dinner- famous fish and chip maybe? And possibly walk around fremantle to enjoy the atmosphere at night if any?

Day 2 -fremantle market and Eshed market. Thinking of buying some fruits, vege and bread etc in the market too to prepare dinner at thr rented apartment upon arrival at margaret river.

Targat to leave Fremantle for Margaret River latest by 3 pm.

Plan to have 1 toilet break in between. Not decided btw bunburry or busselton.

Expect to arrive at margaret river 6pm +. Cook simple dinner for the little boy. Guess nothing much to do at night at Margaret River town?

Day 3 - drive south down to Augusta to take the guided tour at Leeuwin lighthouse. Picnic at Hamelin Bay, hopefully can see some stingrays. Alternatively, lunch at Hamelin Wine. Not decided. Comments?

After lunch, drive through the bonarap forest, stop at the lookout. Next stop is Mammoth cave. Initially wanted to do all 3 caves but i read that there are many staircases at Lake cave and Jewel cave and CO2 level can be high inside. I figure they are probably not suitable for the 5 yr old. Any advice? I think we can still see the cave work at lake cave, since ticket to mammoth cave also include entry to the Cave works right?

If after mammoth cave, time permitting, stop at voyager and Leeuwin estate.

Day 4- food trail day. I booked a behind the scene tour at Vasse Felix at 1030am, followed by lunch at their restaurant. Any places we can go behind 1030 around there? I heard lunch be very long in MR. I estimate we finish lunch at 2? Head off to MR chocolate, diary, nougat, nut and cereal and silkroad. Do you think we have time to visit all of them?

Heard Cheeky monkey winery has very big and fun playground. Want to bring my son there, but not sure how we can fit in.

Day 5 - drive along cave road up to

Dunsborough - enjoy ice cream at Simmon, visit meelup beach and the cape naturalise lookout and light house

Yallingup - lunch at smith beach. See canal rocks. Yallingup maze, is it worth going? Want to visit vasse virgin for the olive oil if times permit. Shearing shed seems interesting, but already plan to go caversham wildlife park which also has sheep shearing i recall. So maybe can just skip shearing shed in MR?

Want to drop by 1 vineyard if possible? Maybe Laurance?

Day 6 checkout of apartment early morning. Drive to busselton jetty. Target 9am tour. Take 1 hr 45 mins. Any good place for lunch near jetty? Otherwise will prpeare sandwich in the morning for lunch in car on the way back to perth.

Target to leave busselton jetth by 12 noon. Drive straight up to perth, check into mounts bay water apartment, say 3pm. Go to king's park? Or perth mint? I wantdd to buy the bullion coins for souvenir and perth mint is closed on easter and no trading on sat. If i really want to go, i have to go on thursday. But then again, we only have so little time in Perth, is it worth the trip?

At night, i know there is perth twilight market at forest place. Will go there, but still deciding to drive or take bus. Advice pls.

Day 7 - fri. Visit caversham wildlife park in the morning. Afternoon at king's park, or go to Scitech. We may goto Fremantle again at night since the market closes at 8 or p pm only on fri.

Day 8 - our flight at 420pm. Am thinking of taking the captain cook cruise to and fro perth znd fremantle, without stopping to visit fremantle. Arrival back to perth at 1245. Still in time to go to airport i supose. Intend to arrive at airport 2 hrs before our flight. I read that the cruise is really nice but is sitting on it for almost 3 hrs boring and waste of our limited time in perth? Is there something else i should do? One way is not good idea, since we will need to fi d our way back to city and drive e rented car to airport to return.

Well, that is my plan so far. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thamks

Day 6

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

To be honest, I've no idea why the fish and chips in Fremantle are so famous. Every time I get sucked into having them (with a group of friends/relatives) I regret it. They're OK, but expensive and not stellar. But to each his/her own. Fremantle has lots of good places to eat, have a look at urbanspoon.com/n/…Fremantle-restaurants for some ideas.

Day 2- Forget the E Shed markets- was there last week and it's still mostly made in China tat. Even the "Aussie" souvenirs look mass produced overseas. You'll have another opportunity to look around if you follow another suggestion I'll make below. Also, plan to be in Margaret River by about 5pm-5.30pm at the latest. It's getting dark earlier all the time and dusk is when the kangaroos start to get active. You really don't want to hit one.

Only comments I have on your south west ideas are

- To assist you in Googling info, it's "Boranup" forest. (Took me a few minutes to work that one out.)

-If the CO2 levels were dangerously high, they wouldn't let you in. Public liability insurers would have a fit otherwise.

-It's been a while since I was in the caves but at least one (Jewel?) has about 200 steps down (and back up). The 5yo may struggle with that, I know I did :-) I believe one (Mammoth?) is pretty level to the entrance.

-Not sure why you've heard "lunch be very long in MR". I've always found it's as long as you want it to be. If you have a time limit, you could indicate this to your waitperson to expedite things.

-There's an excellent restaurant right by the Jetty in Busselton. (Equinox?)

Day 6- The Mint is cool IMO and King's Park is open all the time. You could plan to visit King's Park on your last day if you are worried the cruise might be a bit boring. There's also a great kid's playground where your 5 yo can blow off some steam and get tired to sleep on the flight back :-)

Also, the Twilight Hawker's Market is in Perth on FRIDAY nights only. In fact, the last night is the 11th, so it's not happening during your visit. However, on Thursdays until the 17th April (so, this is the last one for this year), there is a street food market outside the E Shed markets in Fremantle. We had dinner there last week and it was a lot of fun. There's also a kids' play area and it's a nice family atmosphere. Many of the E Shed stalls stay open so you can, if you wish, check them out. We took the train there and back, from the Perth city station, as the Victoria Quay is pretty well right next door to the station. In the early evening it was safe enough and there were transit police checking through the carriages. If you decide to drive, there is ample parking. If it is raining, there isn't a lot of cover though.

Day 7- Perhaps Scitech would be a good change of pace after Caversham. You may even end up spending more time at Caversham and the Swan Valley surrounding it. As I said earlier, King's Park could be a better prospect for your last day. If you ended up going back down to Fremantle, you could have dinner at the Fremantle markets or at the food hall across the street, or at one of the many places around Freo. Parking may be an issue though, it often is on a Friday night. You may need to park in the Queensgate multi storey car park in William St (you can find Hoyts Queensgate on Google Maps, the car park entry is off Henderson St at the side).

Don't forget you'll need to hire a booster seat for your 5 yo, best to pre-order it to be sure they have one available.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Day 2 - I would plan to leave straight after lunch and allow for 4 - 4.5 hours - if you stop along the way at a petrol station just before Bunbury on left side for quick toilet stop and brief break (after 2 hrs travelling), then continue to Busselton (50 mins) and stop for half hour at Busselton Jetty atthe end of Queen St which I think you would enjoy (30 mins) playgrounds and jetty on foreshore of Geographe Bay.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g261672…

Allow another 1 hour travel to Marg river and find your accommodation and check in.

Day 3 - suggest you take the very scenic route of Caves Rd, allow 1 hour to drive to Augusta. At Hamelin Bay - seeing stingrays will depend on weather, how the stingrays feel about being seen :) they can be quite shy - lots of factors. Boranup forest is a beautiful section of Caves road - white barked trees, easy to drive straight thru if you are not keeping a look out for them. Nice to get out for a short walk maybe and stretch your legs. I think you should aim for one or two caves in the afternoon - check the fixed tour times so you dont miss them all!

Day 4 looks a bit busy to me but you can try and fit them all in - might be a bit too rushed.

Day 5 - looks fine - Vasse Virgin olive was very expensive last time we visited, but still nice free samples of products to try.

Day 6 - the Perth Mint is always popular with visitors, so I would suggest you try to go if you have time on the Thursday - its well known for the coins and as you have said, its not open the next 2 days.

Day 7 is on a public holiday - Easter Good Friday 18 April, so Caversham Wildlife Park will open at 9am and Scitech will open at 10am. Kings Park will not be a problem as there's no fences or entry fees. It would be a good place to take a picnic lunch for all of you (unless it is raining which is unlikely.)

Day 8 is Easter Saturday - another popular alternative is to spend your morning and have lunch at Hillarys Boat Harbour instead (100+ shops, cafes, icecream, boats to look at, sheltered beach to paddle, even an aquarium AQWA) - something for everyone.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g157237…

Grassed areas with trees, shelter too if you want to bring last picnic lunch, or you can get fish and chips to share! If you do go there, allow 45 mins for driving back from Hillarys to the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Day 4 - <I booked a behind the scene tour at Vasse Felix at 1030am, followed by lunch at their restaurant. Any places we can go behind 1030 around there?>

Vasse Felix winery grounds are very pleasant to walk around - there is a small stream at the bottom of the valley near the carpark which had ducks last time and I think tadpoles? If your 5 yo is a fussy eater, maybe pack him a little lunchbox to nibble in case the menu is not to his liking, not sure if they have kids meals there.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Yorkfoodies, thanks for the reminder on booster seat. We have in fact prebooked 1 child seat with avis. Although my son is 5 yr old, he weighs only 14 kg. I tried to look up the min weight to use booster seat in Australia, but failed to find. That's why we thought that it is better to choose child seat instead of just booster. Maybe you could shed some light on this? Back in KL, he uses booster seat nowadays.

will arrive back at Perth ftom MR on 17 april, last day of the twilight hawker at forest place. But i know there is also a street food market happening at the same day at Fremantle. Torn between which one to go. Which one is nicer?

Kerry1G and Yorkfoodie, i will take your suggestion to go to Perth mint on Thursday afternoon. Last tour at 330pm i think. Hope we can make it. Scitech is great idea after caversham. Then i will probably leave out the captain cook cruise on sat for something else, such as king's park or hillary boat habour.

Do you know if there is any shower facility at perth airport? If we go run around at the park, we should be smelly by the time we board the plane. A nice shower before long flight back will be great!

kerry1g, Vasse felix emailed and advised that they do provide kids' mail- pizza or pasta. No problem for my son, but i expect quite expensive. Hmmm..in any case, i will always pack some food along when we go out, just in case. By the way, is there any problem if i pack the freezer pack into australia in my check in luggage. This is sothat when i pack sandwich etc, food stay fresh and cold in my food warmer bag.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Yorkfoodies, thanks for the reminder on booster seat. We have in fact prebooked 1 child seat with avis. Although my son is 5 yr old, he weighs only 14 kg. I tried to look up the min weight to use booster seat in Australia, but failed to find. That's why we thought that it is better to choose child seat instead of just booster. Maybe you could shed some light on this? Back in KL, he uses booster seat nowadays.

will arrive back at Perth ftom MR on 17 april, last day of the twilight hawker at forest place. But i know there is also a street food market happening at the same day at Fremantle. Torn between which one to go. Which one is nicer?

Kerry1G and Yorkfoodie, i will take your suggestion to go to Perth mint on Thursday afternoon. Last tour at 330pm i think. Hope we can make it. Scitech is great idea after caversham. Then i will probably leave out the captain cook cruise on sat for something else, such as king's park or hillary boat habour.

Do you know if there is any shower facility at perth airport? If we go run around at the park, we should be smelly by the time we board the plane. A nice shower before long flight back will be great!

kerry1g, Vasse felix emailed and advised that they do provide kids' mail- pizza or pasta. No problem for my son, but i expect quite expensive. Hmmm..in any case, i will always pack some food along when we go out, just in case. By the way, is there any problem if i pack the freezer pack into australia in my check in luggage. This is sothat when i pack sandwich etc, food stay fresh and cold in my food warmer bag.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

<<<< Next stop is Mammoth cave. Initially wanted to do all 3 caves but i read that there are many staircases at Lake cave and Jewel cave and CO2 level can be high inside. I figure they are probably not suitable for the 5 yr old. Any advice? I think we can still see the cave work at lake cave, since ticket to mammoth cave also include entry to the Cave works right?>>>>>

Cave work at lake cave - I think you are confused.

Cave Works is an informative display centre physically located at Mammoth Cave near the car park. So when you pay for entry to Mammoth you can also enter Cave Works. And kids love it as it is interactive.

Buying at ticket at Lake or Jewel caves also gives your free entry to Cave Works but again you would have to drive back to Mammoth to actually enter Cave Works.

I usually recommend Mammoth to people with kids for a few reasons.

1) its the only cave that doesnt have specific session times with guides and limits to how long you can be in the cave. You can just arrive, pay and enter and stay in there as long as you like. All the other caves you have to sit and wait with a large group until the actual tour starts.

2) It has a flat walk in entrance and quite a bit of flat boardwalk in the early stages of the cave so its good for people with prams or wheelchairs to have a look and then exit through the entry again if desired.

However - if you choose to do the whole cave - there are a lot of stairs - and the exit is a steep stairway almost like a ladder (most kids love it more than adults). You then come out into the bushland and follow a path back to the car park - be careful as you actually have to walk across Caves Road and it can be busy - so watch for cars. Dont let your boy run ahead of you on the bush path as the road appears very suddenly.

Have been going to the caves (and caves all over the world) since the 70s and there has never been any word about CO2 levels so not sure where you have heard that.

A freezer pack bag is fine in your checked luggage.

Re the booster seats for car - if you look at the Top Questions on the right side of this screen you will see one titled

What are the child restraint laws for motor vehicles in WA?

Click on that and it takes you to all the info and official websites etc with all the info.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Kim, I don't think you read all of my previous post. Twilight Hawkers' Market in Forrest Place is on FRIDAYS NOT THURSDAYS. The LAST one for the summer is this Friday the 11th so there will NOT be one when you are here. Your ONLY option is the Victoria Quay one in Fremantle.

Child Safety laws page suggests your child needs to be in a restraint with a built-in harness until he is at least 18kg. So stay with the seat you've hired.

Like most airports around the world, Perth Airport has a webpage. Here's a link to their facilities:

perthairport.com.au/PassengerInformation/T1I…

I'm pretty sure it's BYO towels and soap, though, you will have to organise that somehow- maybe get some cheap towels at a charity shop and leave them behind...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Hi yorkfodie, i did read your previous reply and went back to check the twilight market website. It said thst that last 2 weeks of the market are to be held om thursday on 17 and 24 April due to public holiday. That is why i think both markets in forest place and fremantle fall on same day on 17 April. Is there change not stated on their website?

Thanks for confirmimg the weight guideline on the child seat. That is what i has been trying to determine. Great help!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Perfectlyperth, thanks for thr advice. Yes, i will stick to mammoth cave and heed your advice on the safety aspect!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,650 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: my planned itinerary Perth & MR 12 to 19 April

Well that's odd. I did double check before I posted and the site I looked at said finish date 11 April. I stand corrected. Hard to recommend one or the other; we had planned to visit the Perth ones last weekend but life got in the way and it didn't happen, so I can't compare. The Freo one was great, but I suspect the Perth one would also be great, so I guess it boils down to where you want to travel and what else you want to do on the night. If you have your heart set on visiting the E Shed markets then Freo would be the one to pick, but in all honesty your holiday would be just as nice if you didn't go to the E Shed (inside, anyway).