We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

My family of four (all adults) have booked a trip to Perth for 6 days this June. I realize that we will miss the weekend, which is sad. Hence, I need your advice and ideas on how to enjoy this trip. Is it still advisable to visit Freemantle, Subiaco? I have not booked accommodation yet and is still considering car rental. I hope to firm up most of the itinerary within this month. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Fremantle and Subiaco are suburbs of Perth and perfectly visitable all year round and do not "close on weekdays" so I am not sure what your concern is. What do you specifically want to see and do during your visit ?

Car rental - our advice would be 100% dependant on what you actually want to see/do/visit.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Thanks for your prompt response. I am thinking of visiting the markets both in Freemantle and Subiaco and have read that they only open from Fridays to Sundays, is that right?

When I visited with my wife back in 2010, we went to Freemantle on a Saturday and enjoyed the market and some street performers besides enjoying great seafood there. Although we are not particularly fond of large crowds, the atmosphere for a first-time visitor was rather nice.

What will we be able to enjoy on a visit to these two places on a weekday?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

While the Markets won't be open there is a lot else to see and do. I'd play outdoor activities by ear as it will definitely be chilly and possibly raining. Bring warm clothes.

Why don't you have a look here to see what takes your fancy?

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

I have never really understood the fascination with markets as they are basically the same around the world - for the most part. Eating can be done everywhere to so I dont tend to revolve my travels around that.

Whereas there is so much more to see/enjoy/appreciate in any city or town when visiting.

So in Fremantle I would be suggesting getting a feel for the history ie the Round House and the Prison and the many other fascinating restored historical architure there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Unless your flight arrives late on Sunday, you might find the markets are still open. I agree with you RedMike, the atmosphere around the Markets is good - street entertainers, nice snacks to be bought for quick meals and interesting things to look at and maybe buy, different things from usual shopping centres.

Fremantle is a good place for tourists anyway with the shops and sights of the Fremantle Fishing Boat harbour.

Alternately you might also enjoy a visit to the Hillarys Boat Harbour - it has similar cafes, restaurants and interesting shops and is all under cover which could possibly be needed in June in case of rain.

There are often lots of sunny days in June too so you might be lucky! Just pack some light long sleeved tops in case there is a cold wind. Some days there is no wind at all and the days are clear and warm, with cooler evenings.

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Subiaco is still great to visit during the week as well. Monday is fairly quiet so maybe avoid that day. There are many cafes on Rokeby Road, as well as parks and a museum. FarmerJacks supermarket in Crossways Centre sells local produce - you can buy fruit, cheeses, milk, cakes. There is a nice patisserie at the West end called Chez Jean Patisserie and a park nearby to enjoy the food.

Station Street markets is open from 7am on Friday depending on your flight departure.

Fremantle has lots of history to see and worth a trip. Perhaps keep an eye online to see if any events are being held in June, I think the Winter Supper Clubs are held in the City and they are winter night markets. Also consider Cottesloe city centre and Cottesloe Beach. Marie Antoinette make their own ice cream from local produce.

If you hire a car you could go out to the Swan valley and Caversham Wildlife Park

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Most of the major attractions in Perth are very accessible by safe, cheap public transport, as long as you ensure that you plan your journey before you travel. However, public transport to the Swan Valley and Whiteman Park is very poor, so consider hiring a car for travel to these destinations. Taxis are very expensive, you'd pay about $140 return for a trip to the Swan Valley.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Thanks very much for all your replies. Sorry I only just read the last three, but it's not too late for me. I have booked the Pensione Hotel and have developed a tentative itinerary as follows :

Sunday Arriving at 3 pm; check-in hotel; walk around the CBD

Monday Caverham Wildlife Park

Tuesday Fremantle and Subiaco

Wednesday Kings Park and Harbour Town (shopping)

Thursday Hillarys Boat Harbour or Swan Valley or Lake Monger

Friday CBD and depart by 4.25 pm flight

Read about the Bayswater car rental and considering renting a car but do they do a one-day rental? As you can see, Thursday is still open as I am not sure if I can do more than one. We are planning a relatively light and easy holiday. Thought of visiting Mandurah but don't know if it can be done.

Will greatly appreciate your comments on my tentative plan and definitely welcome your kind suggestions.

Thanks very much!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

I doubt very much you can spend a lot of time shopping at Harbortown. Is there something specific you are looking for? Really prices are better and the selection is better in Malaysia. Since you're spending a lot of money to get here, why not consider doing something you can't do at home (and better and cheaper)?

Swan Valley you could do on the same day as Caversham as Caversham is IN the Swan Valley.

Lake Monger is just a lake with some (sometimes vicious) black swans. Be wary of them just in case. But it's not an all-day venue.

If you visit Hillarys why not drop in at AQWA? There's not really enough to keep you occupied at Hillarys itself for a whole day, but adding AQWA dovetails nicely into the plan.

If you look at the Bayswater website and try to do a booking for one day you will find out if they do a one day rental. I don't see why not. But if I were you, I'd get a car for at least two days, for the Swan Valley/Caversham day and the Hillarys day. If you decide to visit Mandurah then make it three days- there's a train but a car makes it so much easier to get to both Mandurah and Hillarys, especially on days with rain.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth in late June, Sunday to Friday

Correction:

The black swans at Lake Monger are not interested in people unless you choose to feed them which is not advised as it encourages dependency on people with artificial food, (sort of like "McDonalds junk food" for people). They are not aggressive or vicious naturally except possibly when defending nests from unleashed dogs in spring!

The swans and other bird wildlife at Lake Monger are an extraordinarily-accessible example of local animals, very close to the city, and a great place to bring visitors to show them a lake and its indigenous fauna.

i took a Chinese friend here a few months ago and she was entranced, not afraid at all!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 12:28