We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Perth to Albany

Suffolk
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Perth to Albany

We are going to Perth in November 2014 and then hiring a camper van and exploring the South West. Originally we were going to take the more scenic route to Albany however relatives have advised us that the week we have chosen is 'Schoolies' therefore it probably best to start in Albany and work back, by then the 'Schoolies' will have left the Margaret River area. Driving direct from Perth to Albany will take approximately 5hrs on the freeway and highway. My question is does anyone have any ideas of tourist type places to stop for a couple of hours en- route to break up the drive? Is Kodja Place any good for example?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

Nothing that I could recommend to you. Maybe a stop around the Mt. Barker / Porongorup region if you are into wine tasting / crafts etc. Most of the surrounding areas off the road are scrub and / or farming country and you would need to transverse off the main road for some distance to see anything tourist related.

What about travelling down the highway through Narrogin / Katanning and stopping / camping at the Stirling Ranges National Park ?

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

I usually stop at Williams (Woolshed cafe a good spot) and Black Cockatoo in Kojonup-where the Kodja place is located-it's interesting but won't occupy a lot of time. You might like driving down any side roads on Albany Hwy and enjoy the quiet farming country whilst having lunch.

If you have time on your journey then the suggestions of going via The Stirling Range National Park and Porongorup is highly recommended-both areas have caravan parks.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 05:43
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,570 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

Jean mentions caravan parks- you should be aware that free camping is not permitted in WA and you will need to stay in caravan parks. Especially during the time you are visiting, rangers will patrol and ask you to move on. Often it's easier and cheaper to rent a car and stay in on-site cabins in the caravan parks.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Edited: 11 May 2014, 18:09
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

We normally stop at Kojonup for a break when we do this drive. There are a few interesting craft and antique shops as well as a nice bakery! You probably only need an hour to see everything though!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

I recommend you stop in Denmark on your way to or from Albany. It's not too far from Albany but it's sort of on a side road depending on the route you take but its a lovely town, if you have time I highly recommend it.

They have a Tree Top Walk in the Valley of the Giants which is really lovely. And also check out the Greens Pool beach area. Its a very scenic area

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

Another vote for Greens Pool in William Bay National Park if you've driven all that way its a "Must See" attraction.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

I agree with the suggestions of stopping at Williams and Kojonup. Leave a visit to Denmark and Green Pools for when you are staying in Albany.

If you are into extreme playgrounds there is a unique playground at Katanning, for kids approx 7 or 8+, which you could visit as a side trip on the way south. There are new sheep saleyards opening in Katanning next week which may be operating that day and would be quite a sight (up to 40,000 sheep undercover). An odd suggestion maybe, but definitely a bit different!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,570 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

And won't 40,000 sheep under cover smell great! :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Perth to Albany

Ha ha! An unforgettable memory to take home to Suffolk!