We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to Caversham

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport to Caversham

Hi all

Would really love to visit caversham wildlife park. We are staying in Perth. How easy is it to take public transport there? Really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Paula

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Unfortunately its not easy to get to the park via public transport. I have just run the scenario on the Transperth journey planner and it indicates:

1. Walk To Perth Stn Platform 9

2. Catch Train Midland Line, Perth Stn Platform 9 To Bassendean Stn Platform 2

Then you are still about 10 kilometres from the park which would require a taxi.

There is a bus that would take you a bit closer but you would still need to take a taxi after that anyway.

(Catch Bus 956, Bassendean Station (Stop Number 17720) to Altone Rd / Bennett Springs Dr)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Hi Kerry

Thanks so much for your help. We are staying in Scarborough so I will try that in the Transperth journey planner.

Best wishes

Paula

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Caversham

If you go to the Caversham Wildlife Park web site, www.caversham.com.au - the instructions as to "How to Get Here" are easy to follow:

Train from Perth to Bassendean - so in your case, bus to Warwick, then train to Perth and change to Midland line.

Catch bus number 955 or 956 from Bassendean to Ellenbrook,

Get off bus at Whiteman Park. Tell the bus driver where you want to get off. It is a bi tof a walk into the park.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Thank you for your help PerthiteOZ. Have you any idea how far a bit of a walk is? A mile/twenty minutes etc?

Cheers Paula

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport to Caversham

PMHenderson, it is around 2.5kms from the Lord Street entrance, through Whiteman Park to Caversham Wildlife Park. Googlemaps says 30 minute walk but that will depend on your level of fitness. It is a bitumen road, no footpath.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Hi PMH,

Irrespective of the responses received to date - travelling by public transport in Perth & or WA is a dead loss. I have lived here for over 30 years & can count on one hand the times public transport came handy. Hire a car, it is far more convenient & a lot safer.

Cheers

ChrisK

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport to Caversham

I absolutely agree with you Chris. Just about everything in Perth is laid out on the basis that you get there by car, unlike a lot of other cities. Its probably because we had a relatively small population until about 30 years ago, so everything is spread out, not intensively developed. People really needed cars before the public transport systems were redeveloped in the last decade or so but they mainly cater for commuters to the city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Having just arrived home from another schlep across town on both bus and train, I must state that I find posts # 6 & 7 opinions based on perhaps outdated experiences? Those who do not use Perth public transport on a regular basis have no idea how much it has improved in recent times and how economical it is. Safety is an occasional issue on some train lines but so rare as to be unnecessarily alarmist IMO to even mention when discussing daytime travel.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Sorry, I'm just allergic to public transport :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport to Caversham

Thank you all for your input. You have made me smile! We are not keen to hire a car but will judge it based on this feedback. It is a shame that such a tourist type attraction is so difficult to get to.

Best wishes to you all.

We are looking forward to exploring your city

Paula