We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

We are 5 adults and 1 22mths toddler.

Itinerary are as follow:-

(7Days Perth - Southwest)

Day 1 Airport - Perth

Arrive Perth around 17:15

Take cab to Fremantle

Stay in Fremantle – any suggestion for homestay/apartment hotel?

Day 2 Perth – Fremantle

Walk around fremantle

Stay in Fremantle

Day 3 Fremantle – Busselton – Margaret River

Rent a car and drive from Fremantle – Busselton – Margaret River

Stay in Margaret River any suggestion for homestay hotel?

Day 4 Margaret River - Pemberton – Walpole - Albany

Early morning drive from Margaret River - Pemberton – Walpole - Albany

Stay in Albany any suggestion for homestay/apartment hotel?

Day 5 Albany

Stay in Albany –

(Albany whale watching, The gap and natural bridge, Whale museum, Albany wind farm)

Day 6 Albany – Perth City

After Breakfast Drive back to Perth via Albany Highway

Stay in Perth City – Any suggestion for homestay hotel?

Day7 Perth – Airport

Having Breafast in Perth City, walk around

- Drive to Airport and return car at airport (18:25 flight)

Any suggestion of my itinerary? Any recommendation places to visit which is within my destination?

All suggestions are appreciated !!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,321 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

There's a lot of driving and not much sightseeing there as far as I can tell. By the time you get to Margaret River you've spent most of the day noodling down there so there won't be much time left to explore MR itself- and there's so much to do and see there! But you're suggesting leaving early the next day to spend most of the next day driving to Albany.

So Days 3,4 and 6 will be a lot of driving- how does your toddler like that? Strapped into an infant seat (compulsory) for hours on end isn't terribly interesting for little ones.

What time of year are you planning to come? Weather makes a difference.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Day 3,4,5,6 have too much driving - you will be exhausted and have no time to see anything when you get there. This itinerary looks more like a car rally race than a holiday!

What you are planning here would be like driving from Singapore to Phuket in four days - would you do this with a small child in a car? Western Australia is a very big state. Also in July there is a reasonable chance of wet weather which makes so much driving more dangerous for you. Some parts of our main highways in the south west are only two lanes - one lane in each direction, not wide four-lane highways.

I would suggest you pick one destination - either Margaret River or Albany, not both, and stay for 3 nights/days to look around and relax a bit, to enjoy the time there as a family. You will find plenty to do for two days. Then drive back after enjoying some relaxing time.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Another vote for choosing the Margaret River Region (Dunsborough, Yallingup, Margaret River, Augusta) OR the Albany region (Albany, Denmark, Walpole). Both regions are great tourist destinations-spectacular coastlines, forests, wineries, great produce and a number of specific tourist activities. Choose one of the areas and then on your next trip to WA visit the other region!

Check through reviews of accommodation options on TA and for apartments around Fremantle try this web site.

stayz.com.au/accommodation/wa/perth/fremantle

Winter can be a great time to visit the South West (providing you don't have days of rain). You need to be prepared for cold-particularly morning and night. A scarf, beanie (warm hat-especially for your toddler) and layers-including a warm jacket and rain jacket are recommended. Someone on this forum suggested if you don't have warm gear then pop into the charity shops (Anglicare, Salvation Army, Vinnies etc) to grab some gear and then donate back. Terrific idea. Also the chain stores (Target, K Mart etc) will have some well priced warm gear.

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Thank you all the advise, how about the itinerary stated below?

Option 1:-

Day 1 - Perth to Fremantle

(Staying in Fremantle)

Day 2 – Fremantle to Albany (after breakfast heading to Albany)

(Staying in Albany)

Day 3 – Albany & surrounding area to Walpole/Pemberton

(Stay in Pemberton)

Day 4- Walpole/Pemberton to Margaret River.

(Staying at Margaret River)

Day- Margaret River & surrounding area

(Staying at Margaret River)

Day 6 – Margaret River to Perth City

Day 7 – Perth City to Airport

I actually really with to visit Both Margaret River and Albany for this trip, so I give up a day in Fremantle.

Or Albany Region :-

(Staying in Fremantle)

Day 2 – Fremantle surrounding area

(Staying in Fremantle)

Day 3 – Fremantle to Albany & surrounding area

(Staying in Albany)

Day 4 – Albany & surrounding area

(Staying in Albany)

Day 5- Albany

(Staying in Albany)

Day 6 – Albany to West Swan/Perth City via Albany Highway

(Staying in Swan West/ Perth City)

Day 7 – West swan/Perty City to Airport

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Hi. Only you guys will know how much travelling your toddler can take so the decision will be yours.

Option 1- good idea to cut a day in Fremantle to spend more time on the south west.

Your itinerary is do-able but rather rushed and a lot of driving. If there are a couple of drivers then it will be a less exhausting journey.

Day 2- you will arrive in Albany early afternoon. Suggest you then do some sight seeing close by. I would suggest the drive around Mt Adelaide and up to the ANZAC precinct, Middleton Beach ( stretch your legs by walking on the boardwalk at Ellen Cove around the headland-you never know you might see some whales) and Emu Point which is a lovely spot for a toddler.

Day 3- start early in the morning to head to Wind Farm, Gap (keep close watch on toddler) then Whaleworld. Take Lower Denmark Rd (pretty) and get to Denmark for lunch. Then you might want to drop into William Bay and Tree Top Walk before heading off to Pemberton. Keep an eye on time as you don't want to be on the Walpole-Pemberton Rd late afternoon/early evening.

Option 2

Obviously this gives you much more time to see things around the area. I would even add another day if you can-eg if you arrive early in the day on Day 1 you can explore Fremantle in the afternoon/evening and then head to Albany Day 2. From Albany it is a great day trip to Denmark and Tree Top Walk-full day. You will see the forests and if you are interested wineries.

In addition to the spots I mentioned above there are places such as Two People's Bay near Albany which are fabulous spots and on the way back to Perth you can divert past Porongorup National Park and make the trip back a full day.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Nope you are still not seeing that your entire visit will be spent inside a vehicle driving past the things that you want to actually see and explore !

Example

------------------

Day 2 – Fremantle to Albany (after breakfast heading to Albany)

(Staying in Albany)

Day 3 – Albany & surrounding area to Walpole/Pemberton

(Stay in Pemberton)

Day 4- Walpole/Pemberton to Margaret River

A - it will be winter - much shorter days.

So you are spending much of the day getting from Fremantly to Albany - taking into account toilet and food stops and stretching for the driver - as I imagine none of you are accustomed to the distances like we are (we would do the whole stretch in one go). You will get to Albany around the time everything closes then the sun goes down.

The next day you plan to "see Albany" and seemingly also "see" Walpole before getting to Pembertom - again by dark.

What do you want to do in Albany ? Whale World, Anzac Memorial, Historical buildings, beaches, scenic lookouts (and a hundred more things people will suggest). All need a couple of hours to enjoy - each.

Then - also still allowing for meal breaks and toilet stops etc. 90 minutes drive to Walpole ( or longer if you get stuck behind a truck and cant overtake on winding roads) - stopping to see nothing along the way (even tho there are loads of great places to stop and enjoy).

Are you actually planning to "see" Walpole or drive straight through ? ie you have a couple of hours to enjoy the Tree Top Walk and Ancient Empire Walk, Conspicuous Cliffs, The Giant Tingle, Circular Pool etc etc, even take the WOW cruise - again all several hours EACH.

Then a further hour and a half of driving dependent on whether you get stuck behind a truck or someone slowly towing a caravan etc etc to Pemberton ???? Well after dark by then if you stopped for lunch or breaks anywhere along the way and selected 1 single thing to see in Albany and 1 single thing to see in Walpole (absolutely pointless when there is so much more to see). So - by now you are driving along on a dark unlit country road - where roos and emus will leap out in front of you as that is their favourite time of day.

Arriving in Pemberton to eat and sleep and then you are off to Margaret River the next day - having also seen nothing of Pemberton but the hotel.

So - that is an example of exactly how your itinerary Number 1 is not going to work !

Itinerary 2 may work providing you are prepared and realistic for the long drive to Albany. You can do day trips from Albany to Denmark and Walpole and actually take time to see and experience things. Tho realistically you have still only given yourself 2 full days to explore the entire region.

You could give yourself one extra day by not driving back from Albany until day 7 seeing as how you have an evening flight.

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

OK, so I will choose Option 2, so in which day i should add-in ALbany-Denmak and Wapole, ?

Stay in ALbany 3 days in the same hotel or stay in Denmark/Walpole one night before i drive back to Perth City?

Below is my itinerary:-

(Staying in Fremantle)

Day 2 – Fremantle surrounding area

(Staying in Fremantle)

Day 3 – Fremantle to Albany & surrounding area

(Staying in Albany)

Day 4 – Albany & surrounding area

(Staying in Albany)

Day 5- Albany

(Staying in Albany)

Day 6 – Albany to West Swan/Perth City via Albany Highway

(Staying in Swan West/ Perth City)

Day 7 – West swan/Perty City to Airport

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

So I will get to Albany in Day 2 evening – below is itinerary for Day 3 to Day 4: PLEASE ADVISE

Day 3 – Albany – Denmark and Walpole - Albany(travelling time? 1hr?)

- Tree Top Walk and Elephant Rocks/William Bay.

- Wineries in Denmark Region eg Singlefile and Forest Hills.

(The drive along Scotsdale Rd is very pretty)

- wood work place.

- Then take the Lower Denmark Rd (much prettier).

- head up to the Shelley Beach.

- Back to Albany hotel

Day 4 – Albany

- Albany whale watching

- The gap and natural bridge

- Whale museum

- Albany wind farm

- Emu Point

- Back to Albany hotel

Day 5 – Albany – Perth City

- Heading back to Perth City after breakfast

Day 6 –Perth City

Day 7 – 6.25PM flight back to Singapore

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

Hi Eunice. Your plans are coming together and it seems that it all more manageable. A suggestion would be to have Day 5 in the Albany area as well- so much to do and you will all be a little tired from travels-nice to have some relaxing time, especially with a little one. Heading back to the city on the morning of Day 6 will mean you have the late afternoon/evening in Perth city (suggest Kings Park and dinner in Northbridge as possibilities) then most of Day 7 around Perth. You could even fit in a visit to Caversham/Swan Valley before heading to airport if that interests you.

I would check the weather forecast in Albany to decide what you are doing when. Remember that this is not high tourist season so you can be quite flexible with your itinerary.

The route to Denmark/Walpole:

I would go to Shelley Beach Lookout (Lower Denmark Rd) on way to Denmark. There is a nice cafe at Cosy Corner if you wanted coffee and food. Note that from memory there is a bit of well formed gravel heading to Shelley Beach Lookout-spectacular coastal view.

The Lower Denmark Rd T sections with main road and soon after on the right you should see Woodworks Gallery.

www.southcoastwoodworks.com.au/Home.html

Stop in Denmark to have a quick look around river area. You could even drive along the tourist drive of Scotsdale Rd then-call into Singlefile Winery-gorgeous spot and wine but food is a tad expensive (like many wineries)

You would then head to William Bay for a look and onto Tree Top Walk. Note the last ticket sale is 4.15pm. You would want to be heading back from Tree Top Walk by 4.30 anyway as takes an hour plus and has some winding section between there and Denmark. Take the Upper Denmark Rd back to Albany as a bit quicker and straighter road.

I prefer doing the route this way (though keep an eye on time) as you will probably want to head straight back to Albany after Tree Top Walk, Suggest you leave straight after breakfast as a big day.

You probably don't have time to do more in the area, but if you do (eg you could stay in Denmark on the extra night I have suggested) then great wilderness area in Walpole you could do as a day trip from Denmark. Highly rated wilderness tour-

http://www.wowwilderness.com.au/WOW/Home.html

Then there are places like Conspicuous Cliffs, Peaceful Bay, giant Tingle Tree etc.

Having another day in this region (as I just suggested) means you have a bit of flexibility with weather.

For example, the whale watching tour will best be done in reasonable weather. Will take up a morning.

If you are in Albany on weekend there are great markets- Albany Farmers' Market Saturday morning (get there by 9am) and Sunday is the Boatshed market.

At Emu Point is a lovely cafe and fish and chips at The Squid Shack at the boatharbour at Emu Point- great spot for seeing the fishing boats and pelicans.

Would help if we knew what days of the week relate to Day 1 etc as can give some specific suggestions. Not everything is open each day!

Edited: 06 June 2014, 11:34
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise for- July 2014- 7 Days in Perth

<<<Day 3 – Albany – Denmark and Walpole - Albany(travelling time? 1hr?)>>>>

As I said in my post - 90 min minimum depending on what you get stuck behind and what you stop to see on the way.

Are you actually checking distances on a map ? Ie google maps or whereis.