We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ONE day and working for part of it

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
ONE day and working for part of it

I'm in Perth for ONE DAY for work, I have some free time the afternoon before and the morning after my one day and I have meetings to attend for much of that day, including over lunch. It has been several years since I last visited Perth I don't want it to be a trip all about work, meetings and sitting in my hotel room banging away on my laptop so... One attraction, one thing I can fit into the trip, which won't require time wasted in travel, which will leave me feeling like I've also done something for myself? Laneway/graffiti art, good contemporary art gallery, fascinating museum, foodie place(s) including really good cafes? I was going to ask for a suggestion for dinner but discovered through a little research, the Ellington Jazz Club which sounds perfect. I will be staying in Hay St, don't mind walking and don't mind paying for a taxi but arrive next Monday night (23 June). Cheers

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

Ok, a little more research and PICA looks like a good and convenient option. Might need a dinner suggestion after all, somewhere that does a pre-show (ie, early and fast) menu? The Ellington Jazz Club looks fine if you're sitting at a table but I'm not sure about trying to eat, even just pizza, if you only have a 'bar' (standing room) ticket. Also looking for some worthwhile 'street art' seems I've just missed a festival but have seen some awesome examples of works by Perth artists on-line, where should I go to see the best? Is there a concentration somewhere? In Melbourne you go to Hosier Lane (amongst others) in Sydney you go to Newtown, in Canberra it's all over the place (although the legal areas of the Philip storm water drain and Civic skate park are both worth a visit as are the lift shafts of the ApARTments in Acton if you can gain access). So where do I go in Perth for stuff that will leave me standing slack jawed in appreciation?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,785 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

I'm not sure the regulars on the Perth forum can help you with "Street Art" FilBee. I know I certainly can't .

I've been to the Ellington Jazz Club - it is not a venue for dining.

This place may be of interest - http://www.thelanewaylounge.com.au/about They open from 4.00pm.

Or perhaps http://bardehalcyon.com.au/ later?

Pleased to Meet you opens at 5.00pm and is on the way to the Ellington - yelp.com.au/biz/pleased-to-meet-you-northbri…

Hope these are of assistance.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

Try Wolf Lane for some great street art (presume still there from the March festival) and a bar. Stormy Mills is a highly regarded contemporary WA artist- think at 357 Murray St Perth still has one of his works. Although not a contemporary artist, there is currently an exhibition at WA Art Gallery of the works of a renown WA artist Guy Grey Smith-it's a free and I would recommend to visitors and locals.

There are a heap of small bars now in Perth:

urbanwalkabout.com/perth/…

If tours are for you, hen this bar tour could be a possibility:

http://www.twofeet.com.au/

Edited: 21 June 2014, 00:27
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

In the afternoon before your committments, I suggest (unless it happens to be rainy and wet) you get out into the fresh air by walking straight up St Georges Terrace about a kilometre then turn left on Fraser Avenue and walk another 250 metres for some amazing 180 degree elevated views over Perth from the Kings Park escarpment, right over the Swan River to the Darling Ranges and both north and south. Its worth it. There are a couple of places on the left where you can get a coffee if you're inclined (Botanical cafe), but check the prices because one is expensive (Frasers).

You might also enjoy the Mechanics Institute Bar, a trendy little place upstairs off a laneway in Northbridge. They have an arrangement with a nearby place that will deliver burger type meals to you there too!

Edited: 21 June 2014, 05:08
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,785 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

At this stage BOM is suggesting cold, clear and sunny for next week so a walk to Kings Park would be extremely pleasant.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

Here's a guide to Perth's street art. It was written for a festival a few months ago but still applies.

weekendnotes.com/perths-hidden-street-art/

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

Thanks all, great suggestions, great advice and all very useful. Of course I now have the new problem of trying to do it all in the limited time I have available.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

You could always stay an extra day...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

The street art festival you mentioned still has its map available online, so you can check out where the works were done (they're still there - I gather they're permanent).

http://www.form.net.au/project/public/map/

Hay St is pretty long, so depending on it you're staying it might be a fair hike, but ultimately it's all pretty walkable - in fact, walking around Perth is quite nice these days. The free city CAT buses (you'll see the stops all around the city with maps and arrival times) might be useful if you don't want to walk the whole way.

The Guy Grey Smith exhibition (mentioned above) is excellent - and the Art Gallery of WA is pretty much next door to PICA, so worth a visit.

10. Re: ONE day and working for part of it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17