We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Hi!

My husband & I from Singapore will be traveling to Perth from 10th-15th Nov’14 with our children, boy 3 y/o & girl 1.5 y/o. We have booked a 5-night stay at Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay and will be renting a SUV with booster & infant seats from Hertz. It’s our first family holiday & my main objective is to let our children experience rural life since we came from city.

I’m doing up the itinerary & have been reading a lot online about Perth. I saw replies in the forum here that the topic about itineraries has been covered many times recently. I tried searching through the given Western Australia forum but it seems like the info are all over the place. I managed to narrow down the following places to visit in my list:

1. Kings Park & Botanic Garden

2. Caversham Wildlife Park

3. City shopping at Harbour Town, The Murray & Hay Steet Malls

4. River cruise on Swan River

5. Scitech

6. Fremantle Markets

7. Perth Zoo

8. AQWA

9. Whale watching at Albany

10. Rockingham Wild Encounters

With our accommodation situated 3-hour drive away from Perth City, I guess we won’t be able to visit all of the above within 5 days. So I’ll greatly appreciate if there will be any kind soul out here to advise me what are the must-visit attractions especially for family with young kids.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,411 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
The Murray Hotel Perth
The Murray Hotel Perth
141 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Swan River
Swan River
2,651 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Scitech
Scitech
534 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Perth Zoo
Perth Zoo
2,051 Reviews
South Perth, Australia
Albany
Albany
Western Australia, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

You have booked to stay all of your time 3hours from the Perth metropolitan area therefore you should be looking at attractions in and around the MR region.

Realistically you will not be able

to visit city based attractions. Albany and whales is too far and the whales are not in that region in November, from memory. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

What time does your flight arrive and depart? You may be able to visit Kings Park if you arrive early or your flight departure is late.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Albany
Albany
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Why an SUV, is that your usual vehicle to drive? I note you say it is your first family holiday. Have you ever driven overseas previously? There is a FAQ about driving in Australia.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,302 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Hello shumsandy & welcome to TA

I will leave it to the Perth experts to comment on your itinerary.

what I will comment on are your actual travel plans. If I understand correctly your plans are to arrive at Perth airport, collect your rental vehicle and begin your drive to Margaret River.

Please don't do this .. particularly if you are arriving on an overnight flight. For the safety of your own family and the safety of other road users please do not attempt to drive till you have had a full nights sleep in Australia.

Regulars on the Australian forum are constantly counselling visitors (particularly those from Singapore) on the dangers of driving here after an overnight/long-haul flight. Australian roads are not like anything you will have experienced before, the Australian driving mentality is entirely different to overseas, not to mention a strange vehicle, unfamiliar road rules and wildlife you may encounter on the road. Driving while fatigued is a major cause of traffic fatalities in Australia.

Please read this thread very carefully

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k7…

we all want you and your family to enjoy your holiday and a road accident would be the worst possible start.

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth Airport
Perth Airport
Redcliffe, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,302 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Macknee - SUV is an American term (I think it stands for suburban utility vehicle) - we call them 4WD - even those smaller ones that may not even actually be 4WD

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

Please check through previous posts as there has already been a lot of advice for travelling to WA with children. Also you really need to check out a map and driving distances as your current plan is quite unworkable!

As already mentioned you have booked accommodation 3 hours from many of the attractions you have listed.

So.....spend first 1/2 nights in Perth (plus maybe the last if you have an early flight) and see some of the sights which interest you then spend the next 3 nights at your farm stay. There is so much to see and do in the Margaret River Region.

In Perth we would say Kings Park is a must do for first time visitors. Some great playgrounds for your kids. Fremantle Markets are open only Friday-Sunday so adjust your travels if that is a priority. Shopping-well you have a heap better and cheaper stuff in Singapore. There will be however, some lovely artisan things in the Margaret River region for you to buy.

You can fit in Rockingham on your way to or from MR. Do you realise Albany is 5 hours from Perth and about 4 from Margaret River so not feasible. As mentioned the whales are gone by November. Great destination for your next holiday!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 11:02
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Albany
Albany
Margaret River
Margaret River
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

It sounds like you missed where the location of the itinerarys were.

If you have a look at the top right of the forum beside this thread you will see

Top questions about Perth

Trip Reports - WA.

Everyones past itineraries are in there. Lots by people from your own country travelling with kids so very relevant to yourself.

Can we clarify:

<<<<< traveling to Perth from 10th-15th Nov’14 with our children, boy 3 y/o & girl 1.5 y/o. We have booked a 5-night stay at Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay >>>>>

Are you stating you have from 10th to 15th in Perth and then 5 nights in Margaret River ? ten days in total.

OR is your entire trip 10th to 15th and all the nights are booked in Margaret River ?

If its a 5 days trip with the whole time in MR then no there is no conceivable way you can see anything on your list. You would need to plan 5 days worth of things to see in the MR region.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

It will just be a 6D5N trip. Flight timing SIN-PER is 0010 - 0525hrs & PER-SIN is 1420 - 1935hrs. Picking up rental car at about 0600hrs. My bad. I thought November is a good time for whale-watching! *disappointed*

Guess I can only focus on the places to visit in/near Margaret River. Since the check-in time for farmstay is after 2pm, I can still drive to the city to check out Kings Park after I pick up the car at the airport right? We choose SUV 'cos our current ride is a hatchback & we have drive sedan car & MPV before. We had a self-drive holiday in Hokkaido 3 years ago.

Thank u Helen on your advice of not to drive straight after an overnight flight. I will read the thread that you have provided.

And thanks everyone for the replies!!! I'll go download a map to find our more about the driving distance.

One more thing, can I bring tins of formula milk in (place in check-in luggage) as long as I have declared at the custom?

Mentioned in this post
Margaret River
Margaret River
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

"One more thing, can I bring tins of formula milk in (place in check-in luggage) as long as I have declared at the custom?" Yes, also assuming the tins are still in their original factory sealed, unopened state. Opened tins are not permitted. Odds are the formula is available here to save you the hassle of carting it all the way from home.

I also would urge you to stay in Perth the first night; arriving at 6am means you may well have gone nearly 24 hours with minimal, poor sleep.. This will have similar effects on your driving as consuming way too much alcohol- would you drive drunk in a strange country especially with your children in the car?

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

I support Helen's points as would others and urge you spend your first night in Perth. This will give you time to see a few things on your first day and to feel relaxed for your time down south.

On returning from an international flight, my family who live in country WA, will always spend a night in Perth before returning home. They are experienced drivers in our country roads and are very aware of the hazards of being tired(especially a midnight horror flight) and driving.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6D5N self-drive @ Perth with kids

To add to what others have already advised (good advice too) - what if your flight was delayed?

Please make some changes to your itinerary for the safety of both you and your family members!

Do not drive to Margaret river on your first day here. Cancel at least the first night or two and rebook closer to Perth so you can visit some of the places on your list. If you really want to stay at a farmstay, pick one near Perth - there are several that are closer to Perth in the Swan Valley area for example.

http://www.settlersrest.com.au/

weekendnotes.com/top-farm-stays-near-perth/

Mentioned in this post
Margaret River
Margaret River
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia