We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

Can anyone please help me as to where I can purchase Golden Virginia Tobacco in Perth, Australia. My friend has tried a few places (including the IGA) to no avail. Since the duty free allowance has been reduced by Customs when entering the country only allow one 50 gram pack I will need more for an 8 week stay. I have also asked if I could bring some which is duty paid in UK and have been told I cannot! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

There are a few specialty tobacconists in Perth - one in London Court springs to mind.

You could ask the question on this forum:

www.freechoicestores.com.au/forum/default.asp

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,697 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

Perhaps the perfect opportunity to give up?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

The main tobacconist is in a tiny cnr store diagnally Town Hall - so right at the very end of Hay St Mall at the traffic lights on Barrack St.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

Brendan N

Currently the Australian Customs have limited the bringing in of loose tobacco to 1 50 gram pack and 100 cigarettes. Thankfully we found that out before coming over for our holiday. But yes you are right we could bring our own however we already pay a huge amount in Scotland to the government so that would be double trouble if we had to pay duty on two occasions.

Perhaps if it was easy I would give up (PerthiteOZ) but it is not unfortunately.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

But thank you everyone I have noted the two which are mentioned on this forum.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,697 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

Nothing that is ever worthwhile is easy Freda.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

This discussion of the need for a specific product is all largely irrelevant.

Australia is the only country in the world that has a legal requirement for plain packaging of tobacco products.

Just buy anything and suck it up. It won't look anything like you're used to and you won't be able to tell the difference. If you really want to, you could bring an old Golden Virginia packet with you and stick whatever you buy in that.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

If you think tobacco products are expensive in UK, please don't expect cheaper in Australia. If anything you pay more, even in their duty free for bringing back.

Presumably you'll have a layover en route home so you could perhaps bring back from wherever that is.

I'm supplementing mine with electronic cigarettes. Not the same but saves a lot of money and relieves some of the craving.

I did stop for a while but I was miserable and didn't stop wanting them despite using nicotine patches and inhalators from GP.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

By the way, don't even think about trying to disguise it and smuggle in more. Their powers of detection are incredible.

I had failed to put tea bags on the list of "foodstuffs" being brought in and had to open my case for them to inspect them. It hadn't occurred to me they were foodstuff. All they had detected was something organic.

They weren't confiscated and we did have a laugh about it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchase of Golden Virginia Tobacco

<<<<I had failed to put tea bags on the list of "foodstuffs" being brought in and had to open my case for them to inspect them. It hadn't occurred to me they were foodstuff. >>>>>

Seriously ???? If you consume it - its foodstuffs !

What on earth else would you think tea is ?