We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Dear all,

I have booked my ticket to Perth this coming 31Aug-5Sep with my hubby, 3yrs old son and 70yrs old mom. As I am browsing airbnb for apartment rentals, am confused as which area is best for us stay so that we can travel with ease using the public transport. Or we need to rent a car which is more convenient? My budget for accomodation is AUD160/nite

The places that I plan to go are Caversham, King's Park, Perth Zoo, Freemantle and maybe to Hilary's aquarium. Kindly advise and thanks in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Caversham Wildlife Park is the only attraction that you have listed that can be a tad difficult to reach by public transport. The others are easy.

May I suggest you find an apartment that you think is suitable and then post here, advising the suburb/location and we can advise as to how good the transport is from that location?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

A major disadvantage with Perth's public transport system is that it's centered too much around the CBD. Cross suburban journeys can be very time consuming, and usually require a transfer in Perth City. I'd strongly recommend you to stay as close to the CBD as possible. Fremantle is also a short train journey from the CBD, and the apartments along Great Eastern Highway are well served by public transport.

I'd advise you not to rent an apartment in the middle of suburbia, you'll probably have to rely on slow, hourly bus services. And don't even bother with anywhere semi-rural.

Caversham Wildlife Park is accessible by public transport. More information is available at whitemanpark.com.au/visitorinformation/… but I'd recommened that you contact the park to confirm this.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Whilst I did not state that Caversham was not accessible by public transport - I said it was a tad difficult - the main reason you would NOT want to use public transport to access it is the walk. Around 10 - 15 minute walk for a reasonably fit person from the Whiteman Park entry (bus stop) to Caversham Wildlife Park.

Buses in my suburb run every 20 minutes and I am 11 kms from the CBD.

As I said, IMO - find an apartment that you like the look of and we will advise you as to transport etc

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Accommodation is expensive in Perth, look up lastminute.com for best deals or other discounted hotel sites. The public transport system is great to get around, Kings Park easily accessed from the city, make some savings on accomm and use a taxi to get to the more difficult sight seeing options, Fremantle easy to get to by train. Beaches serviced by buses. Enjoy your stay

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

for the places you want to go to you can get on public transport except for Caversam Park thta is bit out of town.

Perth has free bus transport to Kings Park and ferry over ot the zoo. I suggest you look at the cheaper nice hotel 's on the Red or Blue Cat Bus Routes …wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Central_Area_Trans…

and enjoy our City

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Here's a page of suggestions for your holiday:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255103-c137216/Pe…

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Thank you all for your respond. As perthiteOZ suggested i have my top 3 apartment rentals that i am interested in, as bellow :-

1) Derby road, shenton park

2) Newcastle street, West perth

3) Mounts bay resort, mounts bay road, perth

I need your kind assistance to advice which is most convenient for us in term of transportation, near supermarket n eateries. Tks again

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,958 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

None of them is particularly ideal but all are on bus routes. Possibly the Newcastle St one is closest to eateries but you'd have to travel for a supermarket for all of them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

I haven't checked the prices but Fraser Suites in East Perth is popular with visitors from Singapore and Malaysia.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Oh dear...too bad all 3 choices is not that good. I was also considering City stay apartment and Mountway apartment. Fraser suites price is not within my budget but the place looks good.