We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

My husband and I are visiting Perth for approx. 5 days in November and we have planned a few tours whilst there.

However at the moment we have booked a hotel Esplanade in Freemantle. Our travel agent recommended Freemantle as a stay as its near the beach etc.

We have booked trips to Pinnacles, Rottnest Island etc and most tours pick up from our hotel. But one picks up in Perth.

My question is - it is worth staying in Fremantle or would you advice the city as a stay? I am not tight with money but am concerned about costs of taxis from the airport to the hotel in freemantle.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

This is our silver anniversary so a special holiday.

Thank you

Kandu Holidays
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Captain Cook Cruises
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Adams Pinnacle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild West Charters
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Some basic background orientation for you. Perth city is inland on the Swan River and Fremantle is the port on the Swan River at the coast. There is a direct train line between the two and its about a 25 minute trip, very easy to navigate between (even for people who dont use public transport like me!)

Your question is often asked on the Western Australian forum. Here is a relatively recent post that may be useful for you:

But in addition to that, Fremantle has a maritime feel about it with lots of museums and old buildings, and is nicely set up for visitors and tourists, right on the coast of the Indian Ocean with lots of shops, restaurants and cafes, the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour and weekend Fremantle Markets, whereas Perth tends to be a bit more of a commercial city, with most of its restaurants and cafes in the adjacent northern suburb called Northbridge, although a few more have been popping up lately in the Central Business District (CBD).

Although I am sure some people will howl me down, please give some serious consideration as to whether spending the whole day visiting the Pinnacles is good use of your precious 5 days here - there is lots to do here and that trip involves sitting in a bus for about 3 hours in each direction which can be a bit boring. Here's some extra suggestions, just in case you are interested;

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

You should enjoy Fremantle -as mentioned by Kerry there are heaps of things to do and has a relaxed feel in the area. For beaches you can either walk (if fit) to South Beach, Fremantle or catch the free CAT bus and walk about 100 m to the beach. There's also Bathers Beach very close to the hotel. It's a small swimming beach and an interesting location just near The Eound House. If you are beach lovers then I recommend taking the train to Cottesloe station and walk 15 minutes west and you end up at the terrific Cottesloe Beach.

Agree with Kerry, I personally wouldn't rush to The Pinnacles given you haven't a lot of time here. Perhaps you might enjoy The Swan Valley area so have a look at various tours there if that interests you.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 09:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Fremantle. Hands down. The Esplanade hotel is lovely and central to everything. Many good dining options in Fremantle and it's nice to walk around with many historic buildings. I travel to Perth a couple of times a year and never stay in the city as there really isn't much to see or do after hours - as Kerry says you really need to go to Northbridge to get something to eat.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

I think the other posters have kind of said it all. I've been working in Perth for the last 6 months, we lived in Fremantle (near the fantastic South Beach) for the first 3 weeks then moved into an apartment in East Perth. I've really enjoyed both locations but would personally opt for Fremantle if given the choice. Perth is a great city and there's an advantage to being close to Perth Station if you plan on using public transport.

The Esplanade is in a great location in Fremantle and you can get to Perth really easily.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Ditto the others!

Fremantle is lovely and Perth city centre is OK.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Love Freo, hoping to stay there myself next year after many day visits on previous trips.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Get a taxi from airport to a local nearby train station such as maylands...there are others a bit closer...and get a train into the main station in perth. Transfer to the freemantle train. Then get off and there are free buses at the exit to take you around town. There is a stop near the esplanade hotel. This will be cheaper. Dont get a taxi all the way to freo!!!

have a great anniversary♡

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,472 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

But be aware that getting into stations with stairs, changing trains and being on trains with a lot of luggage is not a lot of fun, especially in peak commuter hours. If you have minimal luggage, not a big problem.

IMO if you really want to enjoy your silver anniversary, don't make yourself miserable to save a few dollars (of the total cost of an expensive trip) on a taxi.

Albany, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

Take a taxi to Fremantle and just factor in the cost. If you're not worried about the cost of the hotel, then you shouldn't be worried about the cost of the taxi. It is always easier to not worry about the arrival.

Alternatively, you can organise a transfer through this company. It is around $90 one way to Fremantle which is probably comparable to the taxi fare.

Or you could ask the Esplanade if they can arrange a transfer - they may have a better deal than this.

And finally, it is sometimes cheaper to hire a car than take multiple taxis, but this is possibly not what you want to do. Thrifty or Budget are options to look at.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 03:40
10. Re: Shall we stay in the city or Freemantle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15