We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I have heard that the crossing on the ferry generally is rough from Perth to Rottnest Island. Is this true as I am a nervous sailor

Would you recommend this day trip?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

The day trip to Rottnest rates highly with visitors - the island is not very big but has a natural charm of its own and is purposely kept quite quaint, with no cars except maintenance and admin people, so lots of bicycles and walking. Rottnest Island is not a huge distance out from Fremantle (12 miles, usually clearly visible from shore.) The ferry takes about 45 minutes but it can get rough, especially in the afternoon coming back from daytrips, when the sea breeze can be quite strong. Since you are indicating in other posts that you are coming here in November it should be OK, but I also am not a good sea traveller and I would not book until about 2 days before so I can check the weather forecast beforehand.

It would be unusual but there are rare storms that pop up in November - but on the other hand it might be really hot weather with a really flat ocean with a light summery easterly breeze.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Also, if you can, organise your trip to Rottnest Island for a Tuesday as the tickets are about half the normal price. The tickets are also cheaper from Fremantle as its closer to Rottnest than Perth, of course. You can also book bikes to take over on the ferry for a bit extra.

Wear comfortable shoes for walking and take a hat, towel and sunburn cream with you of course.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

<<<Is ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?>>>>

In a word, YES.

I was prepared, having taken seasickness meds, but still...never again for me.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I'm a dreadful sailor, but take seasickness pills which are readily and cheaply available over the counter from pharmacies. For them to be fully effective you need to take them about 30 mins before sailing. I love Rottnest so I think the rough ferry is worth it, but would rejoice if the crossing was more like the Hong Kong- Macau crossing :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,726 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

My BFF loves the place but gets very sick on the ferry. Like YorkFoodie, doesn't stop her.

Me? I'm like Melnq8. Haven't been back in over 30 years.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Well with all those dire warnings from several of us, by now you have probably decided not to go to Rottnest after all! But I have to say its very popular and on a fine sunny day its a great place to visit - quite unique and in my opinion worth going. Its one of the most popular day trips for visitors and locals in Perth, and for very good reasons - check the comments on the Rottnest Island tripadvisor pages, and you'll see why. In case you need some more information, this link is from FAQs at the top right of your screen for WA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255103-c121791/Perth…

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,564 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I've been to Rottnest about 10 times (so 20 ferry journeys). I've never had a problem with it being rough and I've never checked the swell forecast in advance.

I've never taken tablets or anything either for Rottnest and I would do so if I thought it was needed (e.g. Ningaloo Whale Shark trips - DEFINITELY REQUIRED).

I know that obviously it must sometimes be rough, particularly in the afternoon when the wind gets up, but I don't want people scared off from going!

Perth
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

It can be very rough but can also be ok. Have you considered flying over..?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I do not find the trip that rough at all and can be quite good fun when there is a swell. But I like roller coasters and thrill rides so this is quite tame for me! Obviously for those prone to sea sickness some tablets will be important but if you're just nervous then keep in mind it is a very safe crossing and we have never had a serious incident. If the weather is too rough like sometimes in winter the services will be cancelled.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

While the crossing is actually in the top ten "roughest" in the world - I have been across 7 of the other 10 several times and the Rotto crossing is the tamest of the lot (having done it regularly over the many decades).