We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

I have heard that the crossing on the ferry generally is rough from Perth to Rottnest Island. Is this true as I am a nervous sailor

Would you recommend this day trip?

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
268 Reviews
from US$66.80*
US$133.70
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
123 Reviews
from US$99.30*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
145 Reviews
from US$136.00*
US$170.00
Special Offer
Rottnest Island Bike and Snorkel Tour...
46 Reviews
from US$60.85*
US$71.60
York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,720 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Top ten roughest in the world? I'd never have guessed that!

I've taken quite a few visitors across over the years and not one has got sick or commented on sea conditions. And I'm not on about people who spend much time on the water here.

As it happens I'm booking another trip to Rottnest as I type, and sea conditions hadn't entered my head - its never been that bad for me.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 07:48
Perth
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

The trip on the way over is in fact often worse than the trip back because of the morning swell. Despite the ocean looking rough in the afternoon the boat seems to travel more smoothly.

The key would be to take a quells (sea sickness tablet) and find a seat upstairs out the back of the boat where you get plenty of fresh air. Even though it probably looks more comfortable inside most people travel better outside. Make sure you have plenty of water on hand though as the tablets dehydrate you a bit and also check your trip does not clash with "schoolies" week. there are much more serene times to go when you not have a heap of teenagers celebrating end of exams.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

<<The trip on the way over is in fact often worse than the trip back because of the morning swell. Despite the ocean looking rough in the afternoon the boat seems to travel more smoothly. >>

There is a good reason for this - when you are going back you are going west to east, which is usually with the wind. (The "Freemantle Doctor" is the strong afternoon seabreeze from the southwest, which is particularly common in the summer.) It is always much more comfortable to go in the same direction as the wind and waves, compared to going "into" them, on any type of boat.

If the wind has been from the east for a while, the waves will be lower since the swell can't build up (due land being to the east), however swell can persist for some time after a change in wind direction. The worst conditions are when the wind is in the opposite direction of the swell. Suppose ithere has been a strong sou'westerly wind for a while, the swell will be heavy from the W/SW, but if the wind then changes to an easterly, it will cause particularly choppy conditions.

You can see wind and wave height forecasts at this site; if you have some flexibility in your itinerary, you can adjust based on the wave height predictions shown here:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

Wedneday 16th July has the conditions I mentioned where the swell is running from the southwest but an easterly wind has come in. This would be a day for the seasick prone to avoid. Tuesday the 15th has the highest waves so the morning trip going to the west would be rough, but it would be nicer on the return going west to east.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

My scorecard...

Rotto trips = 3

Throwing up = 6

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,131 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

OH dear AJ - your odds are BAD!!

Yes Waddler - if you remember "back in the day" it was actually part of their advertising campaign.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,799 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Kwells are your friend, AJ. I have travelled by ferry in Europe and Asia, without benefit of pharmaceuticals, with not a whit of nausea, but on boats on the sea off WA I am as sick as a dog unless I take Kwells. Even on the glass bottomed boat that tonks around Rotto.

Luckily there was only my family and a couple of others aboard so I could sit astride the seat facing forward and concentrate on not disgracing myself (forgot to take the Kwells in time). After we got off I had to rest on a bench for over half an hour before I felt well enough to go back to our cottage. :-(

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

No, not always and I have done it many times. I get sick on large ferries in rolling seas, but the ferry to Rottnest is small, in comparison to the cross channel (UK/France) ones and 45 minutes in a slight swell is nothing and unlikely to make you actually sick but wear a sea-sickness wrist band (which really work) and you should be fine.

If you feel ill, look at the horizon, apparently it helps but definitely go as it's a wonderful place to visit.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

<<<If you feel ill, look at the horizon>>>

Gales of laughter from someone who once got sick in the water while snorkeling. Sometimes the only thing that helps is getting back on terra firma.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 11:52
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Perhaps it had more to do with swallowing sea water than sea sickness?

Hope so.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is the ferry crossing to Rottnes rough?

Not everyone is the same Bella. I got sick on the ferry and out of Rous on a friend's large boat. It was the swell. The horizon kept going up and down so that didn't help.

To the OP, I would suggest take tablets beforehand and go. It's a unique place.