We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhomes in Perth

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Motorhomes in Perth

Hi, we are heading to Perth on the 7 Aug to 11 Aug 2014. 3A and 2C (age 2 and 7 respectively). We are keen in renting a motorhome for this trip and we are only staying in Perth. Is it advisable?

I have alot of concerns. As we need to park our motorhome in a caravan park, thus how do we move around? For example, we want to go to swan valley and will most probably be parking our motorhome at the swan valley tourist park to spend the night. Then the next morning how do we go and explore swan valley without a car? or can we drive motorhome around and park anywhere, but for overnight then it need to be in a park?

Really desperate as dates are nearing and lodging is still a problem currently.

Thank you.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

I would suggest you hire a car and stay at cabins in caravan parks or motels instead.

This would be more cost effective and offer greater flexibility than hiring a Campervan.

Also I strongly suggest that you read the section titled "driving in Australia" before you arrive in this country.

Good luck with this.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

Another vote for hiring a car and stay in caravan park cabins if you want that experience. There are few caravan parks around Perth greater region so check out reviews. You will also need to hire appropriate child seats for your vehicle.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

Hi,

Thanks for all your reply.

We actually want to experience staying in the motorhome rather then the cabins in the park. So it is not advisable?

Thank you.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

Motor homes (Campervans) are small truck like in size, not very fuel efficient, difficult to park and drive and not recommended for city area's. I would rent a car and stay in cabins.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,958 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

As Famrick hints, driving a motorhome around in the city would be a total pain in the butt IMO. Also a lot of the undercover carparks do not have sufficient headroom to admit a motorhome (I researched this once) so you would mostly have to park in the big open air carparks at the edges of the city centre. Coupled with August being very cold and having a fair chance of rain, walking from the carpark to and from things you might want to visit in the city in cold, pouring rain would not be my idea of a fun way to spend a holiday.

Also, since August is very cold (and you are from Singapore where it is generally warmer) I suspect you would find the nights in a motorhome freezing.

Exploring the Swan Valley without a vehicle is _really_ hard as public transport in that area is poor.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

thanks alot for all your replies. We had decided to scrape the idea of motorhome. We had book an apartment stay at Assured Waterside Apartments.

By the way do you guys know if there is any 24hrs or supermarket that open till late? we are thinking not to lug diapers all the way from Singapore to Perth.

And also as we only have 4 days, we are gonna keep our trip simple and fun. Our itinerary would be as follow:

Day 1 - Swan Valley Cuddly Animal Farm

Day 2 - Caversham Wildlife Park

Day 3 - Fremantle Market and Fremantle Prison

Day 4 - Perth City and Harbortown

I realise the apartment is actually near Perth Zoo. Would you guys recommend the Wildlife Park or Zoo or both?

Any other must do things?

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

thanks alot for all your replies. We had decided to scrape the idea of motorhome. We had book an apartment stay at Assured Waterside Apartments.

By the way do you guys know if there is any 24hrs or supermarket that open till late? we are thinking not to lug diapers all the way from Singapore to Perth.

And also as we only have 4 days, we are gonna keep our trip simple and fun. Our itinerary would be as follow:

Day 1 - Swan Valley Cuddly Animal Farm

Day 2 - Caversham Wildlife Park

Day 3 - Fremantle Market and Fremantle Prison

Day 4 - Perth City and Harbortown

I realise the apartment is actually near Perth Zoo. Would you guys recommend the Wildlife Park or Zoo or both?

Any other must do things?

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

Sounds like a good plan. Not sure what days you are coming here but be mindful that Fremantle Markets are only open from Friday -Sunday.

Kings Park has great playgrounds eg Lotterywest playground for younger ones and Naturescape play area. Great walkway, gardens and vistas of the city. Highly recommend spending some time in Kings Park.

http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/kings-park

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,958 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

I think your children would enjoy Caversham more than the Zoo. But, given that it's August, and could be cold and rainy, you might like to have a few ideas up your sleeve for things to do that won't involve being outside for a long time if it turns out to be a wet day. Have a look at the day trip ideas posted at the right of the screen and also the WA tourism website

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

If the day is fine you might swap a visit to King's Park for Harbortown (honest, the shopping is better in Singapore unless there's something at Harbortown you simply can't get at home), or if not, AQWA, or the Museum - in addition to the regular displays there are two special exhibitions running which might be of interest, see http://museum.wa.gov.au/ , the Maritime Museum in Fremantle, the Perth Mint, lots more.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 13:19
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
1,515 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorhomes in Perth

I agree with questioning Harbourtown - I don't really see the appeal.

Regarding 24hr supermarkets, there are a few around. The most convenient to you is probably IGA Leederville as its won't take long to get there from your apartment up the freeway (under 5 minutes probably).

IGAs are not huge supermarkets, but should stock nappies/diapers and enough toiletries and food items to see you through.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 14:37