We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Solo Trip Ever

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
First Solo Trip Ever

Hi, I'm Fara from Malaysia. I'm going to Perth for the first time on the 3rd week of September. This will be my very first solo trip. It's just a short 5 days but I'm terrified and excited!

I'll be staying in East Fremantle. Hope that's a right decision! I would like to ask opinions on a few things.

For itinerary, here's my plan.

Day 0 - Arrival past midnight so I'll just check in and sleep.

Day 1 - Fremantle

Day 2 - Caversham Wildlife / Penguin Islands haven't decided yet

Day 3 - Kings Park and Perth CBD

Day 4 - Any idea?

Day 5 - Hillary's Harbour/Aviation Heritage/What else?

Must be at the airport by 10pm.

I would love to go to The Pinnacles but this is a random, impromptu trip so I'm tight on budget and I find all the Pinnacles tours are pretty expensive. I'm still figuring out on what to do or where to go with minimum cost. Any suggestion?

Also, what should I pack? Went to Melbourne early December last year and it was quite cold especially at nights, while it supposed to be the beginning of summer. So I'm pretty confused on what to wear for spring in Perth.

Lastly, any tips for solo female traveler in Perth?

Appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Have you been to Aus before ? Seen Aussie animals ?

If not - then perhaps add The Maze to day 5. If you are renting a car to get to the Aviation museum at Pearce then you practically drive past The Maze on your way back to Hillary's and AQWA (perhaps aim to be there for dinner and watch the sunset over the ocean).

Its got a good selection of animals http://themaze.com.au

Spring in WA is generally lovely - fresh days of low 20s and maybe just a cardigan for cooler evenings.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

If you do have a rental car then this does open up your options . There is always swan valley that is worth a look (plenty of wineries, micro breweries, distillery's and food ) but this may not work as well given you are driving. You could always check out some of the beaches along the coast line (Cottesloe beach, trigg beach, ) or you could go for a cruise up the swan river, I believe there are departures from Fremantle for the cruise tours.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Hi Perfectlyperth. I've been to Melbourne Zoo last year and saw some kangaroos and koalas. I can't touch them there and based on the website, if I'm not mistaken, so does The Maze. That's why I'm thinking of going to Caversham Wildlife to get as near as possible to those adorable animals. And I'm not gonna rent a car because I'm alone by myself. But will definitely consider it if I decided to go to Penguin Islands instead of Caversham Wildlife.

Low 20s? I can do that! Seems like thin layers would be enough.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

You will definitely need a rental car to get out to Pearce - thats not nearby nor easy to get to. So instead of The Maze - do the Swan Valley that same day as per what Chris has said further up. Then you can fill the whole day with things that are not easy to get to and it makes the car rental worthwhile.

Being solo doesnt affect your ability to rent a car and it will make life a lot easier for you.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Hi. East Fremantle is a lovely location and you can either walk(there is a lovely river path)into Fremantle for good transport links or catch a bus on Canning Hwy. September is great weather to get out and about. You can easily spend a whole day wandering Fremantle (best done Friday-Sunday when markets are open).

I would also suggest catching train to Cottesloe, walk about 15 minutes west to Beach and then walk along the beach front path to say Leighton Beach. The North Fremantle train station is close by so you can catch the train.

More ideas here.

http://www.visitfremantle.com.au/Home

A trip to Rottnest could be fun. Gather Tuesday is cheaper.

You might like to get a ferry one way Fremantle to Perth, do some things in the city(Kings Park) and train back.

www.captaincookcruises.com.au/Mobile/index

These tours might interest you.

mobile.dudamobile.com/site/twofeet…

Just a note on safety travelling solo. Exercise common sense and be cautious late at night. My daughters always take a taxi home later at night rather than using public transport then a walk home.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 09:35
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Oh no. From the website, Aviation Heritage Museum sounds easy to get to by public transport; I need to get to Bullcreek bus/train station. So it's actually not as easy as it sounds?

Chris and Perfectlyperth, I've looked up on Swan Valley and it's breathtaking. Only that it's impossible to travel around Swan Valley if it's not self drive. If I wanna go there, looks like I really need to consider renting a car for at least one day. Is the route from Fremantle to Bullcreek up to Swan Valley easy or challenging for someone who never drove in Australia?

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Hello Chris. Thanks for the cruise tips. I've Googled and turns out there's reasonable package for cruise tours. I think I will take one way cruise to Perth and enjoy the view of Fremantle's Harbour and Swan River. Will try to fit in Cottesloe beach in my itinerary as well!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Ohhh hang on - for some reason I thought the museum was out at the RAAF Base at Pearce - which is Bullsbrook - not Bull Creek ! Thats why I was suggesting to combine it with Swan Valley etc on a single car hire day!

Ignore that suggestion !!!! Total opposite ends of the city!!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

It's straightforward to get from Fremantle to Bullcreek with public transport.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au

There's a number of tours around the Swan Valley. Google them and check reviews. I would tend to take tours to Swan Valley and Caversham rather than drive yourself. Public transport should be fine for other activities.

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First Solo Trip Ever

Hi Jean. Wow thank you for all the tips on Fremantle. Such a huge help! My Day 1 is Friday and I'm planning to spend my whole day in Fremantle since the markets are open.

As per Chris suggestion, I will include Cottlesloe and cruise tour to Perth. Glad the cruise trip is not as expensive as I thought it would be.

I'm planning to go to Caversham by public transport as well. Found a thread saying it's possible and not so hard. Hope that's true!

After looking up Swan Valley, it looks very interesting. Hope there's an inexpensive tour to suit my budget since driving is not an option anymore (haha, Perfectlyperth!).