We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver's license requirement in Perth

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Driver's license requirement in Perth

Hey!

Just want to check on driver's license requirement in Perth to rent a vehicle? I am from Singapore and driver's license is in English. But, I am only 22 this year and only got my civilian driving license for less than a year.

I also have a military driving license for more than a year but is it possible for me to still rent and drive a car there?

Thank you! :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,716 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

Most rental agencies impose a hefty surcharge on renters who are under 25. This will be your main issue I think.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

I read about that additional charge for drivers under 25. But i'm more worried about the policy where you must have a valid driving license of more than 12 months in order to rent. Or can i still rent if it's less than 12 months?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

The military driver's licence is irrelevant.

You will need to spend some time reading the Terms & Conditions of the various rental companies to find one that will rent, firstly, to someone under 25 and, secondly, to someone with a less-than-one-year licence,

Start by googling "Car rental Perth under 25". You may need to email the less-than-first-class rental companies that search will produce.

Luigi

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

Alright got it and read about the rental part. So now my next question is, let's say i managed to get a car. Can i still drive with my less-than-a-year Singapore's driving license?

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

" Can i still drive with my less-than-a-year Singapore's driving license?"

Only your potential car hirer can answer that. If you can't find anythingin their T & Cs ring them and ask.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

Thanks for your reply. But what i'm trying to say is. Let's say i have a friend who already owns a car there. He's not renting it to me but lending. Can i drive his car legally with my less-than-a-year Singapore's driving license?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

You have a license that enables you to drive solo ... yes? As in it's not just a license to learn to drive?

Australia has 3 types of standard license ... learner, provisional and full license. Only the learners require an instructor to be with them. A provisional is for someone who has passed their driving test but has restrictions for 2 years, eg; no alcohol and limited passengers.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

Thanks for your reply. Yes i have a full license. In Singapore it is classified as class 3 where i can drive any vehicle which does not exceed 2500kg. I can also drive class 4 vehicles which are heavy motor vehicles of unladen weight exceeding 2500 kg which are constructed to carry load or passengers.

But i had just only gotten these licenses. Hence my less-than-a-year driving license. So it's safe to say that i can drive in Perth with my current license?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

<< So it's safe to say that i can drive in Perth with my current license?>>

Well yes, you can drive in Perth ... whether it's safe would depend on whether you are an OK driver

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver's license requirement in Perth

Honestly i'm not going to judge myself and say that i'm a good or bad driver. Generally Singaporeans have bad road etiquettes. So i hope Australia isnt as bad as Singapore. Anyway, to all, thank you very much for helping me. Have a good day!